The last ever #imustconfess
Since the first ever #imustconfess linkup went live on November 5 2011, I have been making it a weekly habit to confess to all manner of things.
The idea of the blog linkup came to me when I completed Problogger’s 31 Days to Build a Better Blog challenge (not sponsored). As I learned about the power of linkups, I came up with the most brilliant linkup idea ever. One that would tie in my blog name and rationale (My Home Truths) with a fun and different focus each week.
The seed of I Must Confess was sown…
It took me many months to have the courage to start (I’d been blogging for less than a year at that stage, what right did I have to start a linkup of my own?). However, I eventually put aside my doubts and just gave it a go.
My original “I Must Confess” blog button – how cute!
And despite things being slow in the beginning (so slow that I actually put the linkup into hiatus at the end of July 2012), the linkup returned on a Monday in November 2012 and it’s been pretty much a weekly staple ever since.
Initially people were (and in some cases still are!) intimidated by the term ‘confession.’ Sure, all bloggers are oversharers, but did this mean we had to reveal EVERYTHING each and every week?
Well, no. The linkup was always intended to be a fun and lighthearted place where we could share the silly stories, the tall tales, the embarrassing experiences and the bizarre bits of our lives. In the end, the linkup ended up welcoming all sorts of posts, whether they had any connection to a confession or not.
For me, it’s always been about building a real community by encouraging others to share, get things off their chest and feel better for it.
Big or small, funny or serious, silly or fun, #imustconfess posts represent some of my favourite times as a blogger.
Some of my all-time favourite confessions include:
- The time I confessed to nearly burning down the house we were renting
- When I recalled my first ever blog post (still the most successful linkup week ever!)
- That time I shared the 5 worst Christmas gifts I’ve ever received (the Huff Post wanted me to be on an online discussion with them about this topic!)
- My huge one where I confessed to going through 5 cars in the space of a single year
- The post where my husband took over and shared what he thought of the blog (scary!)
- The one where I shared my plans to leave work and chase my dreams
- When I shared my anti-freebie list (still makes my skin crawl to this day…)
- The other post my husband wrote about my last day of work (where I wrote myself off!)
- My post where I shared my top 5 parenting fails (they are all pretty bad)
- The time I met Goran Ivanesevic and Mark Philippoussis (my tennis idols!)
- My most recent account of my household ineptitude (should not be allowed to own a microwave)
- And the one where I shared how proud I am of my girl (she should get the plaster off today – woohoo!)
Over the years, I’ve shared over 200 confessions. And, honestly, I feel so much better for it.
Letting go of the crap in our lives, including the feelings of silliness, embarrassment, guilt, sadness, shame, ridicule, anger, frustration and disbelief, really does help us to move on.
Without this linkup, without the chance to make all these confessions, who knows where I’d be now? Quite possibly, I’d be in and out of mental health facilities – I would not discount that possibility at all, considering my history of depression, anxiety and stress-related health issues.
So, why am I calling time on something that has helped me and amused so many others?
It’s time for me to take another leap of faith. I want to dedicate my time to helping other special needs parents. To do that, I need all my energy and focus to be directed in that space. While I’ve done my best to balance both sides of my blogging personality, I need some breathing space to see just how much I can contribute to others.
I must confess I’m shit-scared (given I’ve just sworn for the first time in nearly 6 years on the blog, you better believe it’s true!)
I’m scared of losing the support of the blogging community. Mondays are often my biggest day of traffic and interaction. I’m scared that I’m going to fall flat on my face and no-one will even be there to laugh at me when I fall.
I’m scared of failing in my attempt to help others. I’m scared that no-one will want my help or value it. I have no qualifications – who am I to share my thoughts on special needs with others?
Despite these fears, I’m going to do it anyway.
I must confess I appreciate all the support of my blogging friends. You’ve always supported me and have been like a comfy & warm security blanket. But it’s time for me to let go of my security blanket and explore further afield so I can find my people (fellow special needs parents like me). Many of you represent my people and I hope you continue to follow me.
I must confess I’m excited to interact with those who could benefit from my experience. I may not be qualified in a medical sense but 12 years of living as a special needs parent does qualify me to understand, empathise and support other parents experiencing similar challenges. I want to help and I finally have the capacity and the energy to do so.
To take it out in style, I’ll be hosting a Twitter party tonight, Monday 5 September, from 8pm AEST. Follow the fun by using the hashtag #imustconfess. I hope to see some of you there so we can see off the linkup in style (plus it’ll be fun to bust loose and have a virtual party on a school night – OMG!)
And make sure you check out my last ever #imustconfess video. Fittingly, it harks back to my first ever video from all those years ago. Some things just never change!
So, for the last time ever,* come on and make your confession. I promise you – you WILL feel better for it!
Make your confession and join in with the fun and the real community we have built here at #imustconfess!
And don’t forget to join in with our #imustconfess community over on facebook. It’s where the confessing will continue beyond the linkup. And the best part? You don’t even need to blog or be a blogger to take part!
– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.
– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.
– Feel free to go with the prompt for the week or add your own confession, whatever suits.
– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!
– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt
P.S : can you take my very quick, very easy and very anonymous survey? I’d really appreciate your thoughts – just click on the image below and let me know how I can help you!
* given my history of ending the linkup only to resurrect it again, this may not be the last time ever....
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.