I must confess…introvert or extrovert?

I have noticed lately, people calling themselves “extroverted introverts” or “introverted extroverts” and I’m fascinated by the whole concept of aligning yourself one way or another on this scale.

Do you associate as either an introvert or an extrovert?

introvert or extrovert - www.myhometruths.com

I read this fascinating article about the origins of the terminology and how our general perceptions of each trait have changed over the years.

I must confess that I have fallen into the trap of associating extroversion with someone being the life of the party and introversion with someone shy and withdrawn. When in fact these traits apply, instead, to how you get your energy.

Some people draw energy from social interaction – from conversing with others, sharing ideas and opening themselves up to new ideas and experiences. These people are on the extrovert side of the ledger.

While others draw energy from being along with their thoughts and having time to reflect on what they have learned and experienced that day. These people are on the introvert side.

In some ways I’m a little bit of both. I do draw energy from others and thrive in settings where I can talk over concepts and ideas. However, I also enjoy being alone and having the time to think about things before I respond. I am definitely a reflector when it comes to taking in new ideas and working out a course of action.

Yes, I may actually be an “extroverted introvert” or an “introverted extrovert” myself!

Watch the video below to find out my official inclination (complete with my Myers Briggs Personality Test profile!)

Do you associate as either an introvert or extrovert? Or do you feel you are a little from Column A and a little from Column B?

I’d love to know – this stuff completely fascinates me!

Make your confession and join in with the fun and the real community we are building here at #imustconfess!

And don’t forget to join in with our #imustconfess community over on facebook. It’s where the confessing continues beyond the linkup. And the best part? You don’t even need to blog or be a blogger to take part!

Join the community!

To help you along with the confessing, here are the future prompts so you have no excuse not to take part each week!

I Must Confess...2016 Prompts 1 - www.myhometruths.com

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt

Next weeks’ #imustconfess prompt is “I don’t understand…”

1. Ha! I’m an introvert but I show signs of extrovert, which interestingly I think are the bits other people notice (and don’t always notice the inner turmoil and reclusion)

Being an introvert sounds exhausting Lydia – much better to be pretend to be an extrovert to the rest of the world and avoid any further turmoil…

2. It was a really interesting prompt for me too Kirsty. I have noticed this extrovert in an introvert discussion too and was interested to read yours. I took a test on line and published my results. Recently when I did a Myers Briggs it was a change from what I had been years ago with I was ESTJ but I suspect my adjustment to living our new life and the stress and anxiety which arose affected me in the result with I came up with I instead of E. Nevertheless I do think from time to time all of us can be a little more of ‘I” than “E” and vice versa. Denyse

I think I would still come out the same way if I did the test again (as the profile is totally me) but I think the scores between I and E would be closer than they were back then. I think I am valuing my quiet time and the chance to reflect a lot more now that I’m growing older.

3. I’m an introvert, definitely need to schedule down time or go into hibernation mode after an event. Although, anyone that has spent any time with me would question this. I’ve just become really good at adapting and making the most of being out when I’m out I suppose. The opportunist in me, outranks (for a little while) the introvert in me.

I like that thinking Raych – it shows strength that you have been able to adapt in that way. But a big yay for hibernation – as I get older I’m becoming increasingly reliant on that myself!

4. I am definitely an extrovert but I also love my own company. I am happy to be the centre of attention but only if I ask for it, not if I am put there by others.

5. Tegan says:

I questioned which camp I fall into as well, for similar reasons as you.
    Tegan recently posted..Extroverted Introvert

It’s such an intriguing topic, isn’t it? I’ve always considered myself an extrovert but these last couple of years have made me question how I really draw my energy as I increasingly need time to myself to function and not bite the heads off other people!

6. I also have no idea which side I belong to being able to recharge from being around people or being in my own company … I do think maybe I am more of an introvert though as being around people also tires me out and makes me wish for time alone … but then time alone sometimes make me wish for people (maybe the amount of time). Then there is the fact that I don’t do well meeting new people. A lot depends on the mood I am in. I’ll just stick to be being happy with my own company as well as the company of certain others.
    Anne@GritandGiggles recently posted..This, That and a Sunrise

In the end it doesn’t matter where you place yourself (or don’t place yourself) on a personality scale. I think if you are self-aware and can recognise when you need energy from other people or when you need time alone, then you can be happier and more content in life.

7. Liz says:

Introvert here. No doubt about it.
    And my ISTJ personality profile which I first had done in high school is still very accurate today.

I think we complement each other quite well Liz! My test was done well over 10 years ago now and it still fits me, although I would be interested to see why I’d fall now between the individual segments – I think there would be some re-balancing there – but I’d be surprised to see an overall change.

8. Vanessa says:

I think technically speaking I am an ambivert but I think I fall just inside the more introvert of the spectrum.
    Vanessa recently posted..I Am An Introverted Extrovert

In the end it is just a spectrum, isn’t it? I think we have the ability and move to and fro along it, based on circumstance, mood and the personality on those we are dealing with. It’s more important that we recognise where we need to draw our energy, and how often, so we can manage our interactions and achieve that happy balance.

9. Julie says:

Definitely an extrovert. Love spending time out and with people. But do need my own company to recharge and refocus. Mostly extrovert with a touch of introvert.

10. cate says:

definitely an introvert, and I really noticed it after problogger last year!

I don’t think you were the only introvert there Cate – I think there are many more introverted than extroverted bloggers out there. And even though I’m an extrovert and love being with people, I was happy to get home and recharge afterwards!

I just had a little giggle at the titles of the link up posts and how many ‘extroverted introverts’ and vice versa there are!! I am like you, I love being around small groups of people but desperately need my alone time as well!!

I’m an extreme introvert as well as being shy and, as you know, on the spectrum. This adds up to the ultimate hatrick (is that a word?) of social awkwardness. It’s not exactly helpful in life. Sigh. But some one once told me I still have a nice personality, despite being quiet. I’m not the sullen type of quiet, if you know what I mean. So I’ll focus on that.

I find all this stuff fascinating, too. You do seem like an extrovert, the best kind: warm, bubbly and sincere, not aggressive, loud and annoying! Those are the kind I wish would shut up. Ahem.

PS. Love the hair!
    Ness recently posted..Introverts Are Awesome!

13. jess says:

Definitely an introvert over here! Doesn’t mean I don’t love speaking with people etc, but just not strangers or large groups *shudder*

14. Most people think I’m an extrovert because I’m quite outgoing, but that’s not how I get my strength. I need time out on my own. Actually both hubster and I are pretty much right in the middle of the extro/intro scale. Whatever that means! LOL