2016. I’m already feeling it.

After two very dodgy years that involved suspected strokes, redundancy, grief and a broken knee, I’m already calling it.

2016 is going to BE my year.

Yes, I’m an eternal optimist but the signs are there that this year will be a good one.

1. My house is clean and tidy. It’s never clean and tidy. This must be a good omen.Clean house Collage - www.myhometruths.com
  2. I started the year with my first parkrun. Sure I walked the entire 5km course and my knee ballooned up afterwards but I did it. Bring on this coming Saturday when I can do it all over again.Parkrun Collage - www.myhometruths.com
  3. I’ve had time to plan and breathe. For the last twenty Januarys I’ve either worked or been in transit somewhere. This is the first year where I’ve had absolutely nowhere to be. It’s a nice change.

Fun with the family - www.myhometruths.com

Having fun with the family!

4. After 5 years of blogging (yay, happy blogoversary to me!) I feel I finally have a clue about what I’m doing. And it’s like a huge weight has fallen off my shoulders.My Home Truths 5 Year Anniversary - www.myhometruths.com

I always knew 2016 was going to be a better year. Lets face it, after the last couple of years the bar is not all that high. But I was surprised at how quick my mood lifted and my mindset changed once we ticked over into another year.

It’s almost as if I was holding onto the grief and the disappointment just because it was still 2015. It seems my mind has now given me permission to move on and embrace the hope and promise of a new year.

I’m not one to make resolutions or have a dedicated word for each year. Mainly because I peaked in the resolution stakes when I started this blog on 1 January 2011 – nothing is ever going to compare to the success of that one.

And, to be honest, I can’t ever pin down one word to aspire to. Maybe I could narrow it down to a top ten, but never to just one.

Last year was hard. And the one before was traumatic. But this year I feel free. Free to dream. Free to plan. Free to aspire. Free to just be.

But free would not be the word I would choose. Although it would definitely be in my top ten.

I’m trying to push aside the fear. In some ways I hid behind my grief last year. My first full year out of the workforce. It was easier to just coast along and cling to the excuses of my sick Dad and my dodgy knee than face the reality of being a sole trader.

I was supposed to be setting up my business and starting to build a part-time income but instead I just floated along, moving from crisis to crisis. Yes, there were valid reasons for my inaction but I know I could have pushed harder if I chose.

This year, there are no excuses. I need to face my fears head on. I need to put myself out there. I need to build my business, be focused and be brave.

I need to believe that I can do this thing.

And I can. I know I can.

2016 is going to be challenging, both personally and professionally. It’s going to be challenging for my knee as I move into the next phase of rehab – the hard stuff. It’s going to be challenging for my personality as I face my natural reluctance to approach people, cold.

And it’s going to be challenging without my Dad.

But 2016 is going to be inspiring, fun. busy, fast-paced, purposeful, organised and ambitious.

All the words – not just one.

That’s why I’m calling it early.

I’m starting as I mean to continue. With confidence and positivity.

Cheers to 2016 - www.myhometruths.com

May 2016 be your year too x

1. Happy New Year Kirsty! All the signs are indeed there that this is going to be a super year for you! It is comforting to hear that after 5 years of blogging you finally know what you’re doing. I’ve been blogging for nearly 3.5 years and I’m still working it out. Each year I am getting closer to finding the right fit for me though and right now I’m feeling the closest ever. There will be quite a few changes at WOTM during 2016. I take my hat off to you for doing the parkrun and how awesome is it to have a clean house! Bring on 2016 I say. I love a clean slate and a new start. xo
    Min@WriteoftheMiddle recently posted..2015, 2016 & Going with the Flow

I’m looking forward to watching how your changes unfold this year Min – good luck with refining your direction and moving closer to the right fit for you!

2. Happy New Year Kirsty, and what a crazy couple of years you’ve had. But look how you’ve come through those years. This post just shows what an amazing person you are and I love that you’ve started how you mean to finish the year. I wish you all the success with your business. Cold calling, in my experience, is less frightening once you start doing it and when you get a yes, you get more courage to do it again. You have to start somewhere and I’m going to pray that this year will be a great year for you and your family. Can you please tell me what you business is about and what services you will be offering? Will it be writing and social media work? I’m just taking a stab in the dark. If I know what kind of work your business does, I will keep my ears and eyes out for you. x

Thanks so much Bec. My business is indeed writing with a bit of social media work, copywriting and business planning thrown in at http://www.doublescoop.com.au My dream is to make a part-time income from blogging and writing – just so I can stay at home and support my son as he starts his transition to high school later this year. If you know of anyone needing these sorts of services feel free to send them my way!

3. Hugzilla says:

There’s nothing like starting the new year with a bang! I hope that 2016 is one of your best years ever and that it remains a positive one for you and your family x

4. I’ll drink to that! I hope 2016 is a bloody cracker of a year for you!

5. Kathy says:

Happy New Year Kirsty. Really glad you are positive about the new year and can put the bad stuff behind you (at least a bit). Looking forward to hearing how things unfold.

Thanks Kathy. I took a lot from your post today – hope to better find the balance in my life this year, just as you are hoping to do too!

6. Cheers to a new and inspiring year in 2016 Kirsty! May good things come your way x

7. Caitlin says:

All the best in the year ahead. It’s always good to follow up a bad year with positivity. All the best!!!

Thanks Caitlin. I’ve always been a believer in the power of positivity. There really is no point in not looking forward and not being optimistic about the future x

8. Denise says:

Hang on to that feeling. You’ve certainly started out on a good note. Happy new year Kirsty, may it be all you could wish for x

Thank Denise. I did receive some bad news today which is testing my optimism but overall I’m still feeling very positive about the new year x

9. Love it Kirsty! You deserve to have a stellar year and I’m glad you’re calling it early. I’ll drink to that! xx

10. Deborah says:

I’ve been very much the same on the business front. It’s been three years for me and other than email a dozen or so local businesses and attend a few business networking functions I’ve done little to get it going. I think I’m going to be offered a part-time job and will take that and suspect I’ll push aside the ‘owning my own business’ dreams aside again.

You know, owning and operating a business isn’t for everyone. I’m not naturally that way inclined – it was always my husband who wanted to work from home and set up a business. I was happy to stay in employment, until my health scare and redundancy offer from work. I’m going to give it a red hot go but I won’t consider it a failure if it doesn’t work out and I need to return to the workforce. I really do think personality has a lot to do with business success. It’s not my natural personality to put myself out there and push for work but I need to at least give it a go. I hope the new job makes you happy both in mind and in wallet Deb x

11. Cheers to 2016! I think you definitely deserve a good year after the last couple, you’ve been through the wars! I’m looking forward to having a bit more time to spend in the blogosphere this year now that Tafe has finished. I didn’t have much time for reading and especially commenting, but I’m looking forward to getting back in to it (and hopefully even managing a few I Must Confess posts for the first time in a long time!). I’m also a little scared about the prospect of trying to build my business and having to have the balls to promote myself and reach out to people. It’s not something that comes naturally so it will be interesting to see how I go!

I’m looking forward to seeing all the awesome things you guys get up to this year!
    #teamIBOT

Maybe we need to buddy up and support each other as we build our businesses Kylie? It might be time to set up a mastermind group for bloggers in business!

12. I think 2016 will be your year sweetie, you so deserve for things to fall into place exactly how you would hope. I look forward to reading about all your highs as this year progresses. xx

13. Here’s hoping that 2016 is an amazing year xx I hope it’s all onwards & upwards for you from here on in !

14. I’m hopeful too of lots of good things for 2016, but then, I’ve always been an optimist 🙂