I must confess…I still don’t get the Melbourne Cup
A few years back I wrote a post about not getting the Melbourne Cup. And 4 years later I stand by my original post.
I just don’t get it.
Since I wrote that first post I have actually been to a live horse race to try to better understand the whole lure of the nags. I got frocked up. I had some champers. I watched the action. I saw bookies in real life. I even smelled horse manure.
I was bored SHITLESS (yes, the pun is very much intended there)
Nathan and I left the track almost with a sense of relief that day – we just didn’t enjoy it at all. Of course everyone likes different things and I know of many friends who live for a day at the races but there really isn’t much at the races that interests me at all. So I won’t be heading down to Flemington anytime soon to see the Melbourne Cup live.
As for my other points, they still stand:
- I’m still no fashionista. While Kmart home wares are now considered funky & chic, Kmart fashion is not exactly track worthy. I wouldn’t be winning any fashions on the field stakes with my wardrobe.
- I’m still put to sleep by gambling. Honest to god, betting bores me to tears…
- I still miss out on the race while I’m on the school run. No point getting excited if I can’t actually watch it.
- And while I no longer work at my office, Delilah’s school orientation session is scheduled for 2 – 3 pm tomorrow. So yet again, even if I wanted to, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy a Melbourne Cup long lunch…
And I even have an extra point to add this time around:
- The deaths of 2 horses in last year’s race was a stark reminder of the dangers of horse racing to both horse and rider. I was personally horrified that two beautiful animals died because of their participation in this race. Seriously, is the money, the fashions and the spectacle worth the lives of innocent animals?
So yet again, I will not be partaking in the festivities surrounding the Melbourne Cup. But if it floats your boat, have a most excellent time. And have a drink and a bet for me – I’ll most certainly take it.
As you are taking in the colour and spectacle of the Melbourne Cup carnival I’ll be watching my baby girl take her first steps towards independence at her orientation visit at school. I’ll be the mother silently crying at the back of the hall, most likely in denial, curled up in the foetal position…
Link up your post for some #imustconfess love and find out what everyone else is confessing this week.
And don’t forget to join in with our #imustconfess community over on facebook. It’s where the confessing continues beyond the linkup. And the best part? You don’t even need to blog or be a blogger to take part!
– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.
– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.
– Feel free to go with the prompt for the week or add your own confession, whatever suits.
– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!
– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt (I’m compiling prompts for 2016 – so please share your ideas with me!)
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.