I must confess…I’m not looking forward to normality
I know this week’s confession is your ultimate dinner party guest list. I was SURE I had already written to this prompt so I wrote this post instead (and planned to link to my original post in the linkup). Turns out I only wrote that post in my head – so fast forward to the bottom to see who would make my ultimate dinner party guest list…
This week marks 6 weeks since my ACL reconstruction. I’m doing well. I’m back to driving and I’ve regained 90% full range of movement in my knee. I’m still slow and easily fatigued but I can only get stronger from here.
While I’m happy to be recovering, I must confess that I’m not looking forward to recommencing all the responsibilities of my normal life. I have to admit I’ve enjoyed the excuse not to have to do everything for a while.
I’ve had my mum with me for most of my injury and recovery time. She came down just after I injured myself (for my birthday at the beginning of August) and she’s been here, for the most part, ever since.
It’s been such a nice change to have someone else here in the mornings to help wrangle the kids to school. It’s been a novelty to have the dishes done and the washing organised. Just like having the proverbial kitchen and laundry fairy here on Earth…
Not to mention the fact that she has covered the school runs too (every parent’s dream!)
It’s almost like I’ve had a holiday from real life, a holiday that I don’t really want to say goodbye to.
While it’s been nice to not have the weight of everything on my shoulders, it’s also been hard for a control freak like me to just give the reins of the house to someone else. I’m an independent person and it hasn’t been easy for me to ask for help, let alone accept it.
But I needed it. Goodness, I needed it. I’ve been unable to live normally for over two months now. Who knew how necessary a working knee was to everyday life???
But the knee is getting better and it’s time for me to start taking back the reins. Today marks the first day I’ll do a complete school run on my own and the first time I’ll have to get the kids ready, on my own, for over two months.
I’m a little daunted by the very thought of taking it all on again. I must confess it was nice to be able to sit back and relax for a little while.
But there is another part of me ready to take on the challenge. I’m ready to take back control of my house.
P.S. for my ultimate dinner party guest list I would invite the following:
- Will Smith – he is a generous, funny, creative & kind man. He would be good value at the dinner table and may even be able to rap one of his 90s classics for us… #TheFreshPrinceofBelAir
- Goran Ivanesevic – the former Wimbledon champion would also be an entertaining guest. I would to ask him about his tennis career, amazing serve and passion for his home country, Croatia.
- Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark – wouldn’t you just love to sit down with “Our Princess Mary” and ask her what it’s really like to be a girl from Australia who rose to royalty?
- Tony Attwood & Sue Larkey – the Australian experts in autism and aspergers syndrome would be essential guests for me. I’d love to pick their brains and find out as much as I could about the condition.
- Malcolm Turnbull – I could not pass up the opportunity to talk to our PM and discuss the asylum seeker situation, education & disability funding, community equality, climate change and tax reform. Plus so much more…
Do you have a confession to make this week?
Link up your post for some #imustconfess love and find out what everyone else is confessing this week.
And don’t forget to join in with our #imustconfess community over on facebook. It’s where the confessing continues beyond the linkup. And the best part? You don’t even need to blog or be a blogger to take part!
– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.
– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.
– Feel free to go with the prompt for the week or add your own confession, whatever suits.
– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!
– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt (I’m compiling prompts for 2016 – so please share your ideas with me!)
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.