I must confess…if only I knew what to do

I’m at a bit of a crossroads and I need your help.

Here’s the deal.

I’ve been blogging for nearly 5 years now, about anything and everything, here at My Home Truths. I love the freedom to write what I want, when I want.

I love being able to share the truths of my life. To encourage others to do the same. And to host this linkup – it really is so much fun.

But I also yearn to help other special needs parents. To help them feel less alone. Give them advice. Provide comfort. And share tips on how to get through each day.

I feel like I have a split personality here. Both sides of my personality are true reflections of me. I am incurably honest. And I’m passionate about sharing my experiences of special needs parenting.

But both personalities don’t always gel together here on the blog.

I’ve suspected for a while that I need to niche down if I want to take my blog further. And I do. I’ve put my heart and soul into this place and I want to reach more people and actually help them, not just entertain or be honest.

But I’m torn – I don’t want to let either side of my personality go. I love the freedom of being me, even if it’s potentially holding me back from doing more.

I Must Confess...if only I knew what to do - www.myhometruths.com

So my friends, I need your help. What should I do? Continue to try to make this piece of the internet work, even with my competing personalities?

Abandon the random confessions and become more focused and purposeful on the special needs front?

Concentrate completely on the truth, continue confessing and look at helping others accept themselves, despite their flaws?

Start up yet another blog focused on my passion for special needs parenting?

Even if you can’t solve my dilemma, I would love your thoughts on what you like about My Home Truths.

Do you enjoy my truths? Do you like to read about our journey through special needs parenting? Do you appreciate the other stories linked up here? Do you love a regular dose of pug?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this – I really would. Thanks in advance for helping me out x

Link up your post for some #imustconfess love and find out what everyone else is confessing this week.

And don’t forget to join in with our #imustconfess community over on facebook. It’s where the confessing continues beyond the linkup. And the best part? You don’t even need to blog or be a blogger to take part!

Join the community!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt (I’m compiling prompts for 2016 – so please share your ideas with me!)

Next week’s prompt – share your ultimate dinner party guest list

I Must Confess...2015 Prompts http://www.myhometruths.com #imustconfess

1. I’m in much the same boat with the personal blog. To niche down or not. Or concentrate on the business. Not niching down works for me on the blog as people come for the bits that resonate with them. This doesn’t work so well on FB though but does that matter?

What would I do in your shoes?I honestly think starting another blog is just another distraction when you need to be focusing on your business. Is it only the confessional side of things that isn’t working for you here? I wonder if I shouldn’t open up AMC case for you on a weekly basis and you continue to host it there but honestly, you’ve started the FB group and I suspect you have a plan to take this side of things further.

Email me when you get the chance. More than happy to bounce some ideas around.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Event Ready | Clutching at Straws in the Style Stakes

Thanks for your thoughts and for your email. I’m flat chat this week but will reply soon – I think I’m going to need a sounding board for my future plans (you are correct in assuming I have some!)

2. Could you not make it focus on special needs but have a 1 day ‘funday’ post (or even fortnightly?), which is more general – as a breather? Setting up yet another blog, means building the following again, which is maybe more work than you need. I’m not part of the special needs readership, so obvs Ilike the more general posts.
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Smell the roses

Lydia, as usual, you are bang on. I’m thinking of devoting one post a week to IMC and one to special needs. I think that will be a realistic goal for now and will allow me to judge how things are progressing. Thanks for giving me some much needed advice!

3. Denyse says:

Hi Kirsty, Just when I did my first “I confess’ you are having doubts…LOL… I like the way you are thinking though. I know its been a big year and you’ve realised you have a myriad of skills, interests and passions. I like your ‘personal blogger’ voice a great deal. It is a voice of reality and mistakes and triumphs all at once. I am not so sure how you would integrate the ‘other expertise’ but you could, if you are prepared to, blog on one day a week ‘passion for parents with special needs kids’ or something along those lines. You have built an amazingly supportive and loving community just being YOU….so consider that to be the best asset of all. All the bits of you. Denyse x
    Denyse recently posted..I Must Confess. 284/365.

I love this comment Denyse – thanks for your wonderful input and for your amazing support. I still remember how you helped me as a newbie blogger – I will never forget your generosity then and now x

4. Jo Tracey says:

I split mine out a few ears ago- one for astro, & my ramblings for and anyways. My focus is my fiction- that’s where my love is. I’ve tried to go down the popular route of parenting or deep confessional & it’s just not me- but I enjoy giving the little surface peeks that the confessional allows. Hold true to what you believe- it’s your voice that comes through. You’ve had a huge year, so let it all drift for a bit & see where things settle.
    Jo Tracey recently posted..How to write a novel in a month…or why you should do NaNoWriMo…

You’re right Jo – it has been a huge year and I do need time to reflect and to just be. Thanks for pointing out what should have been blindingly obvious to me!!!

5. I love reading both sides of your blog- why do you feel it’s not working?
    Amy @ handbagmafia recently posted..My Top 5: Stephen King

Thanks for liking both sides Amy. I guess I feel like I’m not doing enough, especially when it comes to the special needs side, so I feel like it’s not working for me, therefore it’s not working for anyone else. I’ve really been heartened to know that people do appreciate my posts and I hope to be able to be more focused yet continue to be “me” in the future.

6. Kirsty I find lots of blogs talk mainly about one topic but often go off and discuss other topics. Stick with what you feel easiest ti write about and where your passion lies.
    Natalie @ OurParallelConnection recently posted..Proud to be a blogger but if I only knew…

7. I’m having the same dilemma at the moment, but on the whole I don’t really think personal blogs can be niched properly because they are essentially about the person who is writing them and ALL facets of their life. I’ve just used sub category headings in my blog to separate the reviews, the photography and parenting stuff. About a Bugg seems to have managed to get the balance between personal blog and special needs blog pretty well. I don’t think I’ll ever niche mine properly because I don’t know enough to focus on just one section. Probably means my blog will never be a huge success but so be it.

I think MHT for most of the things you share because its all stuff about your life and I like you {without sounding too stalkerish}. I also love I must confess {even though some weeks I dont stick to the theme}. It makes me think and sometimes come up with my best posts.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..If only I knew…. everything was about to change

8. Julie says:

Interesting you have said this today. I like your personal blog and I must Confess. The personal voice is great. I have just split my blog and have started another one which I am still working on and yet to launch. I wanted one for personal blogging, rambling and recipes, my hobby stuff. Then the other one for business. My blog has taken quite a journey this year and is a mash up which I want to sort out over the next few weeks. If you feel it’s your passion. Go for it 🙂
    Julie recently posted..If only I knew…..

Thanks Julie! Congrats on making your own move to split your focus – I look forward to checking out your new site when it launches!

9. Maxabella says:

If you want to go more niche, I think you would need to either start a new blog or morph this one into the special needs category. I don’t think you can have it both ways. Having two blogs is a big ask, but if you only went ‘professional’ with the special needs blog then the pressure would be off the other. Keep your friendly voice and you can’t go wrong. x
    Maxabella recently posted..How to break a bad habit | Done

Thanks for your input Bron. I’ve decided to keep things as they are for now and try to increase the special needs posts on the blog. I’ll see how that goes but I’m hoping to avoid yet another blog (as I have 3 already – I need to ensure some room for all the other bloggers out there!)

10. Suzy says:

I enjoy your I confess series as it gives me some things to think about too. I have 3 blogs – a photo blog, a poetry blog and one for everything else. I find that having a themed blog has the advantage that you get the readers who are truly interested in those topics. Start a new blog for yours.
    Suzy recently posted..#MondayMusings – If I Only Knew

11. I think adding another blog would mean you have to distribute your focus across several areas. Personally, I would love to read your advocacy posts on this blog too because in the end, it’s part of your home truths. Or at least that’s how I’ve viewed your blog — snippets of your life {or truths} in addition to making a difference.

Of course, in the end, I’m sure you will make the right decision based on what you know and feel. Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life recently posted..10 things that made me happy {Week 6}

Thanks Sanch – I really appreciate your thoughts and that you would read both my advocacy and confession posts. I guess that’s the real issue – I don’t want to alienate audiences by completely changing focus but I do want to write with more purpose. Perhaps with a little planning I can do it all – I certainly hope so!

12. Hmmm I don’t know that I have much wisdom/advice to offer. I do love the confessing and just the “you-ness” of this blog, but it does sound like having a separate one for parenting special needs kids would be a great idea. But do you have the time/energy to do both? Maybe like Lydia said, have certain days designated for certain posts so folk know what to expect? Good luck working it all out!!!
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted..Smart Cats Read Pussweek Magazine

I’m thinking that may be the way forward. I don’t have time for another blog but I do want to write with more purpose and direction yet keep the light and the fun and the confessing too. Damn it I want my cake and eat it too!!

13. It is very tricky and I’ve only just overcome this particular issue (you can read it in my post today (Tuesday)). Personally, I’ve tried running two blogs and it’s tough work, I would personally recommend putting your heart and soul into one because you’ll find down the track that one will get more love than the other. I personally think that your blog ‘My Home Truths’ is a perfect platform to be yourself and to focus on helping special needs parents. The important thing is that special needs parents are people too, eventhough you do face challenges. I would think for other parents with special needs children it would be uplifting for them to see the other side of you and your life too. Perhaps just build the special needs side of your blog a bit further, incorporate special series that focuses on Special needs but keep the I must confess? Sorry, I’m probably not much of a help but this is what I think when I think about your blog. Best of luck xx
    Eva @ The Multitasking Mummy recently posted..Goodbye from The Multitasking Mummy…

Thanks Eva – this is exactly what i needed to read. I want to keep the confession posts but ensure there is more special needs focused content on the blog. They are more challenging for me to write (they take a mental and emotional toll and require proper research) but I want to help people in whatever way I can. Off to read your post now x

14. I think you’ve been given great advice here … I guess it comes down to how much time you have. If you have time to run two blogs, I’d go with two. One for dedicated special needs parenting blogging and one for you. But if not, you can continue doing both, with maybe a section for your ‘professional’ voice. You can always split them into two blogs later if you like …. Mine personally is a mish-mash, which makes it hard to market, but that’s not an emphasis for me at the moment. If you are trying to market though, I think niche is the way to go and then definitely splitting them is sound advice. But I’m not a marketing expert (I must confess … ). But we will all be here to help no matter what you decide to do!
    Bronnie – Maid In Australia recently posted..You had me at hello … (And win a free house clean!)

Thanks for your suggestions Bron. I agree splitting them would be the best way to go, however I already have two other websites to maintain so I think I’ll try to keep going with just the one for now. I think continuing with one confession post a week and trying to share one special needs post a week will help bring a little more focus to the blog while also keeping it real…hopefully!

15. Natalie says:

Myself and another friend who is a blogger were talking about this same topic over the weekend. We both have 2 blogs and are running businesses. So we have decided to focus on the more financially rewarding blog as our number one focus, and the other blog more as a hobby blog. Don’t get me wrong I love both of my blogs, but it isn’t fair to not be able to dedicate more time to the blog that will be more enriching and rewarding for me and my readers. In your case, I would continue your blog as is and over time, you will be led down the path you need to be on. You don’t need to make a decision right now if you aren’t sure 🙂
    Natalie recently posted..If I Only Knew…

• Vanessa says:

This is what I do. I don’t actively seek out opportunities for my personal blog, but I take them when they come along. My ‘money’ blog is my blogging blog.
      Vanessa recently posted..The Itch

Thanks for your thoughts Natalie. I have come to the conclusion that i will leave things for now but will slowly start increasing the special needs focus. Having attended a carers expo and had the chance to talk to both clients and providers in the disability sector, there is definitely a need for more information aimed at better explaining the landscape for new special needs parents. I hope I can go some way to providing that, in time.

I often have the same internal debate with my blog. As I tried to focus more on travelling I got annoyed/frustrated that I then felt like I couldn’t blog about other things. I have contemplated moving away from It’s Time.. which was started as a totally different blog to what it is now and starting another one and keeping It’s Time.. for my ramblings. But given that I am not doing one blog very well at the moment I think it would be a little unwise to start another.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Zita recently posted..This time last year….