I must confess…I’m an anytime sort of gal!

Mornings

I set this prompt with an idea that I would best associate as a morning person. I do like exercising in the morning and I also enjoy working in the quiet, pre-dawn period before the house awakens and chaos ensues. Mornings are peaceful and full of possibilities. I do rather like getting up and at ’em early.

Morning - www.myhometruths.com

However.

I’m not one to consciously set the alarm early each morning in a bid to capitalise on all these wonderful advantages.

Far from it.

I will stay in the warm confines of my bed for as long as I dare. Or, more precisely, for as long as I dare withstand the growing whines of the pugs, desperate to escape their crate. Or for as long as I can stand the incessant demands of the kids, keen to have breakfast or get dressed or whatever else they need my assistance with.

So while I do like the odd early morning and the boost in productivity and creativity it brings, I prefer the slower mornings where I can stay in bed a little longer and snuggle into the pillows. Preferably on those extremely rare mornings where the rest of the house doesn’t stir until at least 7am!

Afternoons

If I’m not a true morning person then, does that make me an afternoon person instead? Surely, after having the chance to rest up in the morning, I’d be all systems go, come the afternoon, yes?

Afternoon

No, actually.

I find I’ve always been least productive in the afternoon. Always. The energy levels flag, the concentration falters and I find myself searching for easy tasks to get through the worst hours for me, between 1pm and 3pm.

Of course this period is also characterised by the lead up to the school run and mass procrastination. I seem to have an uncanny ability to justify not starting a new and detailed task when there is the promise of a break in proceedings not far away.

Then, of course, once the kids are home after school, productivity goes out the window while I attend to their needs and to the daily demands of the household, like cooking, washing and organising school things.

So I can confidently state that I’m not really an afternoon gal but I’m learning to work through my issues as those traditionally hard to work through hours make up a significant portion of my work at home day!

Night

Which brings us to night-time. Once dinner, cleaning up and bedtime routines are completed I often find myself back on the computer trying to get through those tasks that were not-so-conveniently deferred from the afternoon.

Night - www.myhometruths.com

Night-time does work for me. I like the fact I can sit back and get a few extra hours in when the kids are in bed.

There are drawbacks however. It reduces the time I have to spend with Nathan, the quality time that we need as a couple. And it’s not always that productive, given that I set myself up in front of the TV so I can pretend to have some sort of quiet time with him!

Nevertheless, night time is a good time for me to be creative, to be inspired and to be productive.

As long as I stay awake and not get too engrossed in what we are watching!

So it appears I’m an all-day sort of gal. There really is not a definitive best time of day for me. Although I do know that afternoons are not my cup of tea.

What about you? Can you clearly associate with mornings, afternoons or nights? Is there a time of day when you are most productive or most content?

Link up your post for some #imustconfess love and find out what everyone else is confessing this week.

And don’t forget to join in with our #imustconfess community over on facebook. It’s where the confessing continues beyond the linkup. And the best part? You don’t even need to blog or be a blogger to take part!

Join the community!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt (I’m compiling prompts for 2016 – so please share your ideas with me!)

Next week’s prompt – one year since…

I Must Confess...2015 Prompts http://www.myhometruths.com #imustconfess

1. Denyse says:

Hi! I’m here…and with a topic you may or may not agree with “my one perfect moment” from the leadership spill…. I had a little giggle at the headline you used for this one Kirsty!! I too have no real preference for a particular time of day. I can be up and at ’em if I have to or I can be a stay in bed person. I need to look at the clock sometimes late at night though to realise it’s time to come off Social media and sleep. Have a great Monday. The first one of the spring school hols! Denyse x
    Denyse recently posted..One Perfect Moment. 263/365.

I’m a bit the same at night-time D – I could be on SM all night if I let myself. Loved your post – let’s MT can deliver.

2. Trish says:

Nights are my most productive time too for the computer and kicking back.
    Great prompt Kirsty.
    Trish recently posted..Mangoes, Melanoma, Minted Old Gold and The Book of Life – I must confess

Nights are often my most productive time too – I think it’s a throw back from when I was working and it was the only time I could fit writing in 🙂

3. I get up 6 out of 7 mornings to exercise – favourite time of the day to do this as then I don’t have to think about it all day. Afternoons I hit a massive slump but get my energy back around 7pm.. then stay up late..
    Natalie @ OurParallelConnection recently posted..I am having an affair – how do I explain the fresh flowers delivered?

You sound very similar to me – except for the getting up early part. I’m hoping to get back into early morning walking by the end of the year (fingers crossed!)

4. Having a child kind of forced me to be a morning person because I had no choice but to wake up and stupid o’clock. But that doesn’t mean I like it. I do my best work at night time because its the only time I don’t have to worry about a little person. Mind you I only get about an hr a night without her before I want to crawl into bed myself.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..Infertility hurts

It does get better Toni – one day, you’ll be like me and struggling to get your daughter awake and ready for school on time!

5. I’m all over the place. When I’m off the coffee I turn into a bit of a morning person by default but usually the night owl tag works well for me. This past week though, I’m a no sleep kind of gal… all explained rather badly (keeping the no sleep factor in mind) on the blog today. I’m almost on prompt.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Losing sleep and losing sight of the big picture…

6. Julie says:

LOL I have done the wrong I must confess post …. I have done next months instead of this month. I am morning person mostly. I like to be in bed early. Hope your knee is feeling better and you are moving around more now.
    Julie recently posted..Ultimate Dinner Party Guest List

You are just organised and ahead for next month Julie! I must say you gave me a heart attack for a moment – I had to go back and double check the prompt, just to make sure what it was supposed to be!

I chop and change depending on the season, day of the week, anything really!! haha
    At the moment I am staying with my parents where my sister and her twins also live and I am sleeping in the bedroom beside the twins which is forcing me to be a morning person. I hear them stirring anywhere from 5:50am so try and get up and get my exercise in before they need to be gotten out of their cots. Then it’s usually go-go-go all day and I am ready for bed by 9pm. This is probably why I am loosing motivation to do anything else (blogging mostly)!
    Zita recently posted..Monument Valley

8. jess says:

I like to think that I am a morning person, but wouldn’t a morning person love jumping out of bed? (I don’t). Although sitting with my morning coffee and laptop is one of my favourite times 🙂

The bit after the horrible getting up business is fine. I love sitting in a quiet house with a cuppa and a laptop. I just hate getting out of my comfy bed to do it!!!!

9. Kimmie says:

I am def a night time person and always regret that the next day. Will I ever learn? Not likely. Ha!
    Kimmie recently posted..Dare to dream big

10. cate says:

Mornings for me. I love it when the smallest child is happy to sleep without mum in bed, and I can get up before the house stirs.
    cate recently posted..Hello Monday

Getting up early with no-one else up is great. I love it when that happens. Just a pity I have to rouse myself from a nice warm and comfy bed to do it!

11. Hahaha I love it! All day seems like a great thing. I think I’m definitely most productive in the mornings.
    Lucy @ Bake Play Smile recently posted..Ham & Cheese Scrolls

I don’t think it matters what time of day works for you – as long as you know what works and you can take advantage of it. I wish I was totally productive all day but I seem to move in and out of productivity. It would be good in some ways if I had a set time that works best – then I could really take advantage of it!

12. Suzy says:

It’s a really difficult question to answer. I think I change with the seasons. Linking up for the first time.
    Suzy recently posted..What’s the Time Mr Wolf?

It’s an interesting question and I think it can be really dependent on factors like the seasons and even with your mood too. Thanks so much for linking up!

13. When I don’t have to keep to any sort of schedule, I am definitely a night owl. Trouble is, life gets in the way 😉
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted..The Downside of the Perfect Child

14. I hear you about the afternoons…they are the worst! If I didn’t have to work 9 to 5, I reckon I’d be napping every afternoon after a productive morning and then a somewhat productive evening!
    Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life recently posted..To Schedule or Not to Schedule