This is 40

A few years back I watched the Judd Apatow film This Is 40. It is a funny, if cringeworthy, film and well worth a watch if you like your laughs crude.

This is 40 - movie poster

I was fascinated by the character of Debbie in the film, played by Leslie Mann. At the start, even though she is preparing for her husband’s 40th birthday she insists that she is still in her late 30s. There is an especially amusing sequence as she is being examined in her gynecologist’s office where the assistant keeps trying to nail down her real year of birth.

Debbie REALLY has an issue with turning 40. Luckily I have no such hangups about my age.

Today I am 40. And I’m going to celebrate it, not hide away or wish it away.

Why would I, when this is what 40 looks like for me?

• I have a wonderful and supportive husband whom I don’t always appreciate as I should, especially in recent times. Just know that I DO love you Nathan and I appreciate you and everything you do x
  • I have three highly entertaining, demanding, frustrating and hilarious children. Life would be very quiet and boring without them. You rock my world, kiddos.
  • I’m embarking on a new career. I’m excited, scared, anxious, obsessed and daunted by it. I’m so grateful that I have the chance to give it a go – to start my own business.
  • I’m more confident than I’ve ever been before. I’m ready to give my new direction a red hot go after years of fear and procrastination.
  • I’m learning to run and become strong. I’m dedicating time to myself after so many years of constant neglect. I feel awesome (except for my busted knee but that’s a temporary setback!)
  • I know more than I’ve ever known before yet I appreciate now how little I actually know. I’m opening up my mind to new ideas and possibilities. It’s intoxicating.
  • I’ve been touched by grief. While I’m not the same person I was this time last year, I’ve grown in patience, emotional intelligence and love during the last year. Legacies from my father that I’ll never forget or squander x
  • I’m determined to be a more proactive friend. Over the last few years I’ve not been as available and as open as I should have been. I want to enrich my friendships – they are gold.
  • I’m proud of where I am in life. I’m proud of what I’ve become. I’m proud of who I am.

This is 40. And I’m going to embrace the crap out of it!

Linking up with these weekend blog goldmines:

FYBF

Things I Know

Weekend Rewind

Friday Weekend Linkup

Ultimate Rabbit Hole

1. Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful year. Sounds like you have the right mindset for a happy decade ahead.
    Jody at Six Little Hearts recently posted..ECCO Barra Crossbody Bag Review and Win an ECCO Leather Handbag! #SLHFeaturedThursdays

2. Happy Birth-yay! You’re in for a treat! Forty is fabulous! My fourth decade on the planet has been the best so far, even though technically, they’ve been some of the most challenging. I started and ended my fortieth year with two touches of cancer which was totally a baptism of fire! This is your time – embrace the ace!
    Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid recently posted..She’s So Inspiring – Lydia Ness

Thanks Sam. Loving the positives of turning 40 although lets hope cancer stays away for you now. I think you’ve had more than your fair share!

3. Kathy says:

Happy Birthday Kirsty. You sound very together for 40. I may have recently turned (ahem) 47 and sometimes I still feel I’m waiting for the confidence to get on with the rest of my life. Embrace the next decade – you’ll love it.
    Kathy recently posted..Tips for travelling the soul journey

Thanks Kathy. The confidence comes and goes but it’s sticking around more these days – I hope that’s because I’m now older AND wiser!!!!

4. Happy birthday Kirsty! And you know what they say, life begins at 40 … I’ve been having a great time for the past 8 years so I reckon it’s A-OK!
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted..The Perfect Men’s Business Shirt

Excellent – that seems to be the universal theme I’m getting from everyone. Love the thought that the best is probably yet to come for me!!!!

5. Happy Birthday Kirsty. What a year of highs and lows you have had. Wishing you many happy returns and looking forward to a belated birthday celebration with you one day soon.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Blog Exchange | Goals Goals Goals

6. Happy birthday. May all your dreams come true x
    Bronnie – Maid In Australia recently posted..Mens Rings Online – Product Review

7. Julie Small says:

Hope you had a great birthday! Love this post! Who cares about numbers – some people are old in their twenties!! Glad to see you get out there and enjoy every minute of your life. Time goes all too fast!!
    Julie Small recently posted..13 Signs You Are Addicted to Travel

That is so true Julie. Thankfully I still don’t feel like I’m 40 – I still think I’m in my 20s (which is perhaps why I ran after a ball I should have left alone at tennis earlier in the week and busted my knee!)

8. Maxabella says:

What a happy birthday this is for your, Kirsty. You have had a very tough year but just look where you have landed. You should feel so proud to be where you are, so strong and capable and ready to embrace new things. x
    Maxabella recently posted..Weekend Rewind | “Happy” birthday to meeeee

Thanks Bron. It has been a horrible year in many ways but I’m proud that I’ve learned from everything and that I can still look forward with hope and positivity x

9. jess says:

Wahoo! Embrace the crap out of it indeed! I found that movie funny, I might watch it again this weekend 🙂
    jess recently posted..The Friday Wrap 7.8.15 Business Edition

It was a funny movie – I could really relate to a lot of it. The outtakes of Melissa McCarthy’s rant at the end are gold – she is one funny chick!

10. Happy Birthday! I turn 40 next year and I definitely hope I approach it with the same enthusiasm and gratitude as you.
    Angie @ The Little Mumma recently posted..Retiring My Tits: A Reflection

40 has been good so far. I believe there is always good things ahead of us – helps keep up a positive outlook, no matter what you are facing!

11. Happy Birthday for yesterday Kirsty!! 40 is YOUNG – especially from where I stand at 51! I can tell you that it’s not so bad 11 years down the track. Enjoy a whole 10 glorious years before your next BIG birthday celebration! 🙂 xo
    Min@WriteoftheMiddle recently posted..Snaps ‘n’ Crackles #3 – Best laid plans

Thanks so much Min. I’m looking forward to my 40s, to be honest. It feels like I’m finally ready to be all I can be after half a lifetime of practice!!!

12. Happy Birthday chick! The naughty forties are the best!!! Welcome to the club 😉 xx
    Sonia Life Love Hiccups recently posted..Come Inside and I’ll show you Around – Weekend Rewind

13. I loved that movie. I am still a few years away from 40 and still think I am in my late twenties sometimes. I love your list. Bron x
    Bron from Flat Bum Mum recently posted..Feature Friday – Millie and Maude + Link Up

14. Happy Birthday! What a lovely way to celebrate.
    Karin @ Calm to Conniption recently posted..The Ultimate Rabbit Hole #30: Rice Bubble Bars, Mermaids and the Queen Bey

1. September 28, 2015