I Must Confess…if I were PM of Australia
Oh, this is a far more loaded prompt than I intended when I first set it last weekend.
That was before the infamous Coalition same sex marriage debate and the Dyson Heydon Liberal fundraiser scandal.
Seriously, how much trouble can a sitting government get into within the space of one week?
I can confidently say that I would be a FAR better PM than the current incumbent – although that wouldn’t really be that hard.
If I were the PM of Australia I would do so many things, but I would definitely start with the following:
1. Improve transparency. I would actually reveal the number of refugees trying to seek asylum. I would be open about anything relating to the public interest. I would go out of my way to establish trust with the electorate. The phrase “I can’t comment on operational matters” would be banned from the political lexicon.
2. Be more compassionate. I would welcome asylum seekers and close off-shore processing centres. I would increase the numbers of migrants accepted into the country as well as increase the foreign aid budget. I would not stuff around with much needed benefits to the unemployed or to pensioners and would increase funding for mental health and youth services.
3. Revamp the Ministry. I would reinstate a Minister for Science. And while I’m at it, I would take the portfolios of Women and Indigenous Affairs from the PM and give them to competent ministers who could be solely dedicated to these portfolios (and who actually knew what they were doing with them).
4. Embrace women in Cabinet. I would have more than 1 or 2 women in Cabinet. ‘Nuff said.
5. Legalise same sex marriage. There is no reason not to. There is no need for a plebiscite or referendum. Legalise same sex marriage and allow the electorate to marry whom they choose. It would be an easy win for any government and, more importantly, the right thing to do.
Really, these would be no-brainer decisions.
What would you do if you were PM?
Link up, share in the comment love and get with the best community on the web for #imustconfess!
– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.
– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.
– Feel free to go with the prompt for the week or add your own confession, whatever suits.
– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!
– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.