I Must Confess…if I were PM of Australia

If I Were PM www.myhometruths.com

Oh, this is a far more loaded prompt than I intended when I first set it last weekend.

That was before the infamous Coalition same sex marriage debate and the Dyson Heydon Liberal fundraiser scandal.

Seriously, how much trouble can a sitting government get into within the space of one week?

I can confidently say that I would be a FAR better PM than the current incumbent – although that wouldn’t really be that hard.

If I were the PM of Australia I would do so many things, but I would definitely start with the following:

1. Improve transparency. I would actually reveal the number of refugees trying to seek asylum. I would be open about anything relating to the public interest. I would go out of my way to establish trust with the electorate. The phrase “I can’t comment on operational matters” would be banned from the political lexicon.

2. Be more compassionate. I would welcome asylum seekers and close off-shore processing centres. I would increase the numbers of migrants accepted into the country as well as increase the foreign aid budget. I would not stuff around with much needed benefits to the unemployed or to pensioners and would increase funding for mental health and youth services.

3. Revamp the Ministry. I would reinstate a Minister for Science. And while I’m at it, I would take the portfolios of Women and Indigenous Affairs from the PM and give them to competent ministers who could be solely dedicated to these portfolios (and who actually knew what they were doing with them).

4. Embrace women in Cabinet. I would have more than 1 or 2 women in Cabinet.  ‘Nuff said.

5. Legalise same sex marriage. There is no reason not to. There is no need for a plebiscite or referendum. Legalise same sex marriage and allow the electorate to marry whom they choose. It would be an easy win for any government and, more importantly, the right thing to do.

Really, these would be no-brainer decisions.

What would you do if you were PM?

Link up, share in the comment love and get with the best community on the web for #imustconfess!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – share your Problogger posts or any other post about blogging

1. Not that I had much confidence in our current PM to start with but each week that passes, I lose a little more. I think if I was PM, my list would be much the same as your own.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Green with ProBlogger Envy + GIVEAWAY

Each week I am completely stunned by the ineptitude displayed by our PM – I really can’t believe how totally out of touch and incompetent they really are…

2. At the moment you could pretty much say “I’ll just do the opposite” of them….and be right.
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Do you protect your phone?

3. Julie says:

I would get rid of luxury tax on tampons etc. Have a great week hope your knee if feeling better
    Julie recently posted..Vera Coleski Makeup Artistry – Women in Business

The most ill-conceived tax ever on a so-called “luxury” item – more proof that more women are needed in Cabinet!

4. I’d do pretty much the same as you. I honestly can’t believe we have such a backward thinking anti women’s rights (anti anyone’s rights really) PM in this day and age. Especially after just having the first female PM (although that’s a whole other story) it’s like we’ve set ourselves back 50 years.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..52 WEEKS OF MEMORIES | 32 – SMILE

Couldn’t agree more Toni – I feel like I should be wearing an apron all day and welcoming my husband home at night with a scotch, pipe and slippers! And it’s 2015!!!

5. jess says:

I would basically bring Australia into the 21st Century! Equal rights for women, LGBTI, recognising and dealing with climate change, improving technology, and more emphasis on mental health. Let me at it!!
    jess recently posted..The Friday Wrap 14.8.15

6. Same sex marriage is a given… We are so behind for a modern country
    Natalie @ our parallel connection recently posted..Will I ever be bikini ready?

I hate how this has exposed how ideologically driven this government is, to the detriment of the people who elected them to govern on their behalf. The time for playing politics is over – time to make policy for the good of the people and to reflect their views as a modern society!

7. We can’t do much worse than this lot, can we? I agree with all you say…had a few different ones on my list but I suppose that’s coz they’re my soapbox issues. It all seems steady and straightforward and yet they keep making a mess of things!!
    Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life recently posted..If I was the Prime Minister

I know! I really can’t understand how they’ve made such a mull of things. You couldn’t make this stuff up if you tried!

8. Cate says:

I don’t think anyone could stuff it up as much as the current government!
    Cate recently posted..Hello Monday

9. I agree with pretty much all the points you make. I’ll be honest and call me naive but I personally try not to focus on politics too much. I know this may sound ridiculous to a lot of people but I feel like I loose too much energy focusing on something I can’t change and though there are many ways our government could improve things for Australia I do always think how much better we have it as a country than a lot of countries in the world. I just try to be grateful though I do get agitated also as some things a clearly common sense and should just be dealt with.
    Maria @ Pastels & Macarons recently posted..Second Birthday Photo Shoot

I completely understand your thoughts here Maria. We ARE lucky and I guess that’s why politics does get me riled up. I want to make sure we remain a progressive, generous and compassionate society which is why the current government’s position on everything that matters to me does make me angry. I amy not be able to change it today but once I get the chance to vote I’m hoping that will make some change x

10. I’m no psychic but I strongly doubt that our current PM will be back for another term … I don’t “do” politics so have stuck to a light-hearted post for today’s topic!
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted..I Don’t Like Strapless Wedding Dresses

I would be surprised if ANYONE thinks he’ll be back for another term – the electorate would have to be seriously mental to do something like that again!

11. I am pretty sure most people think they can do a better job, although I am sure it isn’t an easy one. Transparency I agree with 100% as well as not messing with help to those who need it but I do think we need to look at fixing issues within our own country before trying to fix ones outside it, excluding emergency situations of cause. I would also make sure that agriculture and the importance of it within our country, for finance, sustainability and self reliance and the simple factor of our need for food and fibers and our need for those who provide it, was very high on the agenda along with foreign ownership issues that are going on (that would go in with transparency). We all have ideas of what we could fix and how to fix them yet never seemed to be asked but I guess that is why we elect someone else to do that part. A common idea raised by Mr Sparky is that all politicians should have to have done maybe 3+ years in multiple roles such as mining, agriculture, business and any others that would be good for getting grounding in how things work and what is needed in those areas.
    Anne@GritandGiggles recently posted..Rundown of last week