I Must Confess…where I blog

I must confess that I’m a bit of a gypsy when it comes to where I blog. I am lucky enough to have a study but it gets really cold in winter so it’s not the most pleasant place to be for hours on end. It’s also dark due to the verandah awning that covers over the window. We are looking at ways to combat these issues but until we can find a way to make it more naturally light, we’re limited in what we can do.

The study is in the middle of a mini-makeover, our way of trying to make it more liveable while we work on these more serious issues. It used to have a big whiteboard that spanned the main wall and a bookcase and filing cabinets which were practical but only served to make the room seem smaller and more confined than it really was.

Study

So we recently moved one of our lounges (Fantastic Furniture) under the window to provide a spot to read. We also took out the excess furniture so we could open up the space and replaced the heavy wood look with a big graphic photo (IKEA). A warming geometric rug (Bunnings) has made a big difference too, both to the look of the room and the warmth.

Updated Study

Study - window view

Study - desk view

Study - larger desk view

The next phase of the makeover is to find some low rise filing cabinets to sit under the desk and move onto the big job of painting the desk unit a brighter colour to further lighten up the room. Eventually we would like to replace some of the roof awning panels with clear ones to bring more natural light into the study too.

Then I’ll be able to makeover the shelf space and add some cool stationery and storage to make it all pop. It’s going to be cool.

One day!

On the days that the study is too cold to work in, I alternate between the lounge room and outside. I often sit in the lounge room on the computer at night to reply to comments and play around on social media. But it’s really not conducive to seriously write or blog because of the many distractions in there – including certain pugs.

Trying to work in the lounge room

My fall back position when I really need to concentrate during the day is to take the computer outside. In summer, I prefer the back verandah which is cool and has a soothing outlook over the bush.

Working on the back deck

In the winter, I sit in the undercover area off the kitchen which is sunny, warm and has easy access to the kettle for warming cups of tea. The pugs love it when I work outside as they love finding a sunny spot to sit – definitely more pug friendly than the cold study floor!

Side undercover area

Working outside

IMG_5030_2

Where do you blog? I’d love to find where you discover your words, inspiration and ideas!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – share your Blog Exchange “blog like there is nobody reading” posts

1. I gave my home office a huge make over recently in the hope it would be the perfect spot to blog but it hasn’t exactly worked in my favour, it’s too inviting and distracting. It also seems to be the only black spot in the house for the wifi.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..4 Networking Tips for Bloggers and Introverts

That sucks about the wifi blackspot! I have the modem sitting in our study to make sure there’s always internet access there but that doesn’t help when I’m floating about the house finding the perfect spot to write!

2. I like the idea of outside…I might try that!
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Where I write

I love being able to write outside. My laptop has been playing up lately so I haven’t done it so much but there is something good about feeling the warmth of the sun on you and the breeze on your face as you write. I definitely do not miss the office life!

3. jess says:

In summer I can spend hours blogging out on my patio, its quiet and with a lovely breeze. But now that its winter, I usually write on the couch. To be honest, if I end up working more on the blog I would luuuurve a proper study!
    jess recently posted..The Friday Wrap 12.6.15

Having a study is great. I just really wish I had more light in here – we’ve always got to have the light on, even in the middle of the day. I love writing outside, it makes me feel more free and inspired x

4. Love the changes you’ve made … I particularly love the outside area! So peaceful. I have an office but I mostly blog on my laptop on the lounge, with my dog and sometimes the cat beside me. It’s the warmest part of the house in winter and the coolest part in summer.
    Bronnie – Maid In Australia recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: The Tuk Tuk Edition

I do enjoy blogging in the comfort of the lounge room with the pugs but they do have a tendency to push the laptop off my lap so they can get comfy there instead. Not ideal for blogging…

5. Jealous of your sunny spot!!! The first thing I thought when I saw your study pic was that it really need a rug … great minds think alike 🙂
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted..The Leggings as Pants Debate!

OMG does that mean I have a little style in me? The rug has definitely made a difference but I can’t wait for the desk unit to be painted up and lightened up – that will make a huge difference too!

6. Your dogs are just gorgeous … And they are looking at you with love in their eyes
    Natalie @ our parallel comnection recently posted..If it wasn’t for my husband, we would be getting divorced

7. Haha…I could blog everywhere! I’ve done it on my dining table, my study, even when I try putting my toddler to sleep. A bit extreme, I know, but I’m time-pressed 😛 Yay for iphone and ipad!

8. Paula J says:

I blog right at the kitchen table. Many distractions but that’s where it’s gotta be right now.
    Happy Monday 🙂 Thanks for hosting 🙂
    Paula J recently posted..NO RULES Weekend Blog Party #140!

I love having a sticky beak at people’s places…. Does that make me weird? I think it’s great to have several places as I am sure each one gives you different inspirations!
    Zita recently posted..24 things I said and thought during my first 24 hours in Nashville

Nawww your pugs are SO cute!!

I don’t really blog enough and part of the reason I’m so ad-hoc is that I don’t really have a space or even my own lap-top! Sometimes I resort to just writing the old-fashioned way with pen and paper and then posting it on the blog when I can. Otherwise I just brain dump it all when I’ve got a chance like today. No wonder my posts are all over the place! Your study looks like it’s shaping up really nicely. Meanwhile sitting in the sun sounds perfect. xo
    Ness recently posted..Quiet Person, Loud Mind

It’s hard if you don’t have the space or the time to blog. But you still get there – looking forward to catching up with your latest stream of conscious…