I Must Confess…an open letter to my husband

An open letter to my husband, Nathan.

My love, we will be celebrating 15 years of marriage this year. Apparently that warrants crystal or a watch depending on whether you conform to the traditional or modern list of anniversary gifts.

Just so you know, I’ll be happy to accept both.

Now I do love you and the life we have created together. Please never doubt that. However there are a few things that have been troubling me over the years and I feel that it’s finally time to come clean. I welcome you to share your own concerns with me too – I know I have a tendency to not refuel the car and to fall asleep when watching movies and to talk too much and to not pay enough attention at times, among a host of other faults.

Just don’t forget I’ll be happy to accept either crystal or watches for our anniversary. Or even as a token of apology.

First up. I hate it when you tell me how to drive and then you point out that I have the shits after you’ve told me how to drive when I’m doing my best to hide that fact that I do indeed have the shits with you. Yes, I am annoyed at being told what to do. I have been driving a whole lot longer than you and I don’t think I’m all that bad. Thank you for pointing out my tendency to speed and your advice to keep away from the lunatic car in front. For the record I have eyes and I know what I’m doing, even if you don’t believe me.

Second. I don’t understand why you can’t follow up and put things in the bin. Classic example is the empty toilet roll in our toilet that seems to always end up ON TOP of the bin. I fail to see why you can’t follow up your admirable attempt at changing the roll (thanks for that) and take that last step to open the bin. It sort of defeats the purpose having the used roll just sitting on top there. To he honest, it’s got to be as much work making it balance there as it would be to open the damn lid and drop it in the bin in the first place. Where it belongs.

Toilet roll on bin

Ditto for putting the popcorn bag in the bin. Thanks.

Popcorn bag on bench

Third. I do hesitate to make this accusation but you never clean the sandwich maker after using it. Again, it’s not a huge ask to give it a little wipe once you are done. I know its hot and could burn your delicate flesh but just leaving it open on the bench with dried up cheese crusted to the plates is not helpful. And while you claim you are waiting for it to cool down before cleaning it up I always seem to be the one to clean it and put it away. Coincidence? I think not.

Fourth. This is hard to say but I really hate it when you are right. And you are right nearly all of the time. How is that possible? Kudos to you for not turning into a complete smug bastard over the years but HOW do you do it? Can you maybe consider not being right a few times in future just to give a boost to my own self-esteem? I know it might be a tough ask but it would really make it easier for me to resent your “rightness’ less and love you even more.

Wow. It feels good to get those little irritations off my chest. All in all there is not a lot to complain about when you think about it.

Although I do wonder how long your reply to me will be…

BTW how do you like your crystal and watches?

Your loving wife,

Kirsty

What’s the most annoying thing that your partner does (or has done?)

Leave a comment below and feel free to link up any confession post that you have, old or new. Don’t forget to share in the link love and comment on a few other confessions too.

I’m also sharing the linkup love with Eva and Alicia today – happy Monday everyone x

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – share where you blog. Do you write in a study, bedroom, kitchen or even outside?

1. Too funny. After almost 20 years of marriage, I have more than a few grievances. None of which I think I can publicly share.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Aussie Giveaway Linkup June

I have more but these are the ones that really get my goat. Particularly his tendency to always be right!

2. That whole bin thing, I could write about my kids. They even put empty containers back in the fridge and the cupboard. Which is ironic as they leave full containers out on the bench….
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..What we hate about facebook…

3. Julie says:

LOL I love the bin thing. Congrat’s on 15 years.
    Julie recently posted..Blog like there’s nobody reading

4. I swear all men have the toilet roll problem! Most of the time it doesn’t even get taken off the holder in our house, it just sits there empty for the next person to worry about.

As much as I wanted to write about all the things that trent does that annoys me, I had another post I had to get of my chest. Funnily enough its an open letter too.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..An open letter to all the other mums

That’s the thing Toni – why bother replacing the roll but still not put the empty one in the bin? It just does not make sense to me!!!!

5. The worst thing The Milko has ever done is buy me a Dust Buster for our 10 year anniversary. I refused to use it and then one day when we get a new bed and we were disassembling the old one, I strategically placed it on the floor and then dropped the bed head on it. Needless to say I have never received a cleaning item as a gift ever again! I sympathise with you in all aspects of the letter. Happy Monday! Mel xx
    Melanie Greenhalgh recently posted..Dying to Be Noticed

Good god Mel – a dust buster as an anniversary gift! We don’t do anniversary gifts to be honest (we prefer to go out for dinner or go away where we can instead) but I can honestly say I’ve never received anything like that! It definitely got the treatment it deserved!

6. jess says:

I think you kept things very tame Kirsty! I’ve been with my husband for nearly 9 years, and I have more than a few grievances (but he would have none, because clearly I’m perfect 😉 )
    jess recently posted..The Friday Wrap 5.6.15 Relationship Edition

7. My hubster is just so darn thoughtful and considerate – it makes me feel like such a philistine sometimes!!!
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted..Europe Trip 2015: Can You Guess Where?

Get him to guest post about his tips for marriage and we’ll get our partners to read it – maybe they can learn something from him!

8. Haha – that all sounds VERY familiar to me! In fact my husband is guilty of the sandwich maker one and the not putting stuff in the bin one. The toilet roll one my kids are all guilty of. My hubby leaves the toilet seat up all the time after 30 years of marriage and 30+ years of me telling him to please put it down. He leaves his wallet, keys, coins all over the kitchen bench, along with mail, paperwork and all his other stuff. He is a messy creature!! Happy 15th Wedding Anniversary! 🙂
    Min@WriteoftheMiddle recently posted..Mindful Monday: Spend some time with your loved ones!

Actually, my husband has always been good with the toilet seat – I never have a problem with it being left up which is why it’s strange the empty rolls can’t find their way INSIDE the bin!

9. Happy anniversary Kirsty! Love this list and funnily enough we seem to see a lot of these happen in the workplace too. Classic!
    Tonia Zemek recently posted..Monday mourning (08.06.15)

10. sarah says:

Coffee grinds on the kitchen bench.
    Lack of knowledge as to the location of the laundry basket.
    Treating the bedroom floor like the laundry basket.
    Ditto the bathroom bin with respect to dental floss.
    Letting me know the car needs oil and doing NOTHING about it.
    Always making the kids breakfast and rarely making mine.

11. Mumma McD says:

Haha we’ve had a toilet roll sitting on top of the bathroom bin for 2 days… it’s a stand off!! I’m NOT moving it (and I don’t think Mr McD is even aware of it). Grrrrr!!
    #TeamMM
    Mumma McD recently posted..Low Sugar Lifestyle Program – a review

I couldn’t cope with that situation Mumma McD – I’d cave. I can’t cope with rubbish lying about, hence why I’m the one who ends up putting it in the bin!

12. Paula J says:

Happy Anniversary! I needed this laugh today…you are a riot!
    Thanks for confessing and hosting 🙂
    Paula J recently posted..NO RULES Weekend Blog Party #139!

Thanks Paula – I do my best to entertain, although I do have to thank my husband for much of the material in this post. Without him I would not have had anything to complain about!!!!

13. Alicia says:

Oh Kirsty, and I bet the list goes on. I know mine would. Sometimes I think I have an extra kid! Mine is extremely bad at cleaning up after himself, pushing his chair in, not talking with his mouth full. He usually has no clue what day the bins go out!
    Alicia recently posted..That’s a woman on the ten dollar note?

Case in point – my husband rings me on his way to work this morning to let me know he just passed the garbage truck so I needed to go out on the street, in my PJs, and put the bins out. Annoying!!!

14. Oh the sandwich maker really gets to me too!!

It’s not that hard – it’s possibly the easiest appliance to keep clean in the house! I honestly don’t get it!!!!

15. Great link-up idea! I just stumbled upon your blog today and I love it! My husband is always right too… messes with me a lot. Cheers! Sarah
    Sarah @ Sarah on Purpose recently posted..Thankful Thursday #42

I honestly hate him being right all the time – it does mess with you, no doubt about that!

Hope to see you link up sometime – this coming week’s prompt is all about where people blog but pretty much any post can be linked up for I Must Confess. It’s a whole lot of fun!

1. May 9, 2016

[…] instance, last year I shared an open letter to my husband, listing a few of the little things that he did that caused me great angst. For some strange […]