I Must Confess…Diet Disasters

A quick confession from me today as I’ve been otherwise occupied this past weekend.

First off, I must confess that I have been pretty much Eurovisioned-out after two big nights and one very early morning. I never thought it was possible but I believe the excitement of being able to really vote this time around did the job. Guy was fab and did us proud with a top 5 finish. The winner was worthy (although predictable) and the final overall was much better then the semi-finals indicated it would be.

All that remains now is to work out a way to get to Sweden next year to see it live…

Diet Disasters

Now, onto my main confession for the week. I must confess, I put on at least 3 kilos on my recent trip to the US. Yes, the GF friendly buffets and the American sized portions did their job marvellously. This has, of course, resulted in my need and desire to find a way to lose the weight. Again.

I have tried my fair share of diets and weight loss plans over the years. I am a Weight Watchers lifetime member, twice over. I’ve also tried the shakes and the meal replacement bars and the powders. I’ve done Paleo and a version of the Atkins diet. And goodness knows whatever other crazy thing that was peddled, particularly back in the 90s when I was most impressionable. For instance I remember drinking warm water because it’s good for digestion only to find it’s not so good for the tastebuds and gag reflex.

But the craziest diet I ever went on wasn’t really a diet at all. I managed to lose literally 2 kilos overnight when I had to prepare for a colonoscopy. This required a huge “cleanse” beforehand which involved not eating for at least a day before the procedure, drinking a foul drink to get things moving and then surviving through the subsequent hours of the “cleanse.” Brutal yet effective…

What crazy diets have you tried over the years? Do you have a diet disaster to share? And do you have any tips for me as I try to find a way to shift my current excess weight?

Feel free to share by linking your post up below and sharing in the comment love. A mass confession is good for the soul you know!

I’m also sharing the linkup love with Eva and Alicia today – happy Monday everyone x

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – kids say the darnedest things. Share a funny or embarrassing thing that you’ve heard a child say.

1. Yes, I’m carrying a little Hawaiian weight…the US is not waistline friendly….
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Burgers & buns (the other type of buns)

I always knew it was going to be tough but I naively thought that I’d be able to say no to the food and just keep going as I usually do. What surprised me was how well they catered for coeliacs over in the US. I couldn’t waste that opportunity, hence my current predicament!

2. Holly says:

Dieting is something I’ve never been any good at. I successfully lost 4kg on the one proper attempt I had with shakes & light meals but just couldn’t do it again. Hubby can jump on & off the shake bandwagon all the time. I just like food too much 😉
    Holly recently posted..Confessions of an Expectant 2nd Time Mother

3. I have 7kgs of milk fat to lose which I am hoping will fall off when I wean the toddler. It always has in the past but I am always terrified too, that it won’t!
    Whenever I have visited the States I have actually lost weight – I can’t stand the food!!! Taco Bell had good tacos though! x
    Jody at Six Little Hearts recently posted..Fun Food Ideas for Kids – Have You Checked Out DAIRYLEA MUMMY HACKS?

In my case they catered really well for coeliacs so Nathan and I went to town, trying all the things we normally can’t buy out here at home. The fact that every meal involves a snack and dessert also didn’t help…!

4. I have oodles of weight to lose sadly. Health problems are at the root of it all – thyroid, hormones and stuff! Though there’s been a lot of controversy around it – the last thing I tried was paleo. It didn’t help me with losing weight. Too much good fats I think. It needs adapting to suit me. That’s the thing – no one thing works for everyone! My husband recently went on the colonoscopy diet too! It has scared me off having one (though I really should) especially when he was throwing up in the car on the way to the hospital!! 😉
    Min@WriteoftheMiddle recently posted..Mindful Monday: Get Outdoors in Nature!

At least with the colonoscopy “diet” it’s over and done with in a few days – it’s not fun but if it gives you the result you need to move forward and start getting treated, then it’s worth it. Good luck with it Min – it can be doubly hard when medical issues come into play and complicate things x

5. Jess says:

Oh I have tried most things! Paleo, low carb, low sugar, WW, 12WBT, ketosis….my goodness, it can be exhausting huh?! I’m thinking about going back to WW to get back on track, stress has resulted in some unfortunate weight gain. Everyone responds to different things, good luck!
    Jess recently posted..Travel goals for 2015

WW has worked best for me but it’s an expense that I can’t quite afford this time around. Good luck with it – I hope it works well for you too!

6. Oh God I hear you – I have done it all and although I have never gotten back to my heaviest number – things aren’t looking good over here. It is because I am not prioritising myself over blogging, kids, work and hubby. I think the most effective and easiest for me has been sugar free. That stuffs hates me but I love it. I just found that I could still eat copious amounts of bacon and cream etc and that made me feel like I wasn’t missing out. But the addiction is back and I need to get my head in the game and start moving again. Pretty simple but bloody hard. I’m coming back as a skinny arsed cat in the next life! Mel xx
    Melanie Greenhalgh recently posted..Part 1 – You Got the Job

7. Rhianna says:

I have never really been much of a dieter, was my current weight will attest. I do believe in everything in moderation though and plenty of exercise.
    Rhianna recently posted..Thankful Thursday

8. Only thing that words for me is to get moving. Cut out whites (sugar, rice), soda and dessert, and do 30 minutes of something (anything – dance, aerobics, walking, swimming) that helps you work up a sweat. 3 kilos will just burn away into wisps 🙂 Good luck!
    CookieCrumbsInc. recently posted..Monday Musings #2

9. Damn…I’m not looking forward to my holidays only because I’m afraid I’ll put on weight. For me exercise helps curb my crap eating…and given that I won’t be going to the gym, I’m dreading it.
    Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life recently posted..Where did the weekend go

That’s the thing. We did heaps of walking around the theme parks, more walking than I normally do yet we still put on weight. Maybe just go with the flow Sanch and deal with any after effects when you get home x

I am not quite into Eurovision like you are but was so excited that Guy was participating and we watched the results Sunday morning! Good luck getting things back on track after your holiday!
    Zita recently posted..for a juice cleanse

Thanks Zita. I’m already feeling better for getting back to eating less and moving more. Just hope I can see the results soon!

11. I actually missed Eurovision but wish I’d have seen it. Guy Sebastian is so fantastic. I can relate to the talk of diets as I’m in the middle of one right now. Unfortunately temptation got the better of me over the weekend and I had a few treats! Oh well, tomorrow’s a new day, right?
    Tonia Zemek recently posted..Monday mourning (25.05.15)

Ha ha! Mick does the colonoscopy diet every year! It sure doesn’t look like fun. I’m a couple more weeks off becoming a WW Lifetimer. Gulps. I hope I’ll be able to do the maintenance. I was not really into the Eurovision thing but some of our friends are and they invited us to a party. It was awesome! Good luck losing the holiday weight. xo
    Ness recently posted..Diets Be Damned

I’d love to have a Eurovision party one year but most of my friends don’t get it. I’m sure it would have been a whole load of fun!

13. I actually need to go on a moderation, stop eating bad food diet. I usually just try to remember my WW tricks… It’s all about moderation, a shame I just can’t seem to do that right now 🙁 I hope the jet lag is all done and dusted x
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..I’m not everyone’s cup of tea + more

14. Julie says:

Funny, I think I have tried every diet know to mankind. I did the 7 day vegetable soup diet once, not again.
    Julie recently posted..Residual Income for Women.

For a long time I never saw soup as a real meal – not unless there was a big bread roll to go with it, of course. So I can understand you never wanting to undertake a 7 day soup diet again!

15. Julie says:

I have done them all too, Atkins, WW, soup diet but I haven’t done shakes. Glad you had a good trip 🙂
    Julie recently posted..Residual Income for Women.

The shakes are weird. The ones I had tasted like chocolate and while they filled me up for a few hours, I was starving again come morning tea time which defeated the whole sorry process…

16. I bought crushed prawn shells dried mixture once as it was meant to speed up metabolism .. Ummm what was I thinking
    Natalie @ our parallel comnection recently posted..Who do you think you are? Leave our kids alone….

I bet they tasted as good as warm water too (not)! Why are the things that are supposed to be good for you, so loathsome to consume?

17. Nardia says:

Yes about Guy!!! He did such an awesome job! As for diets, I don’t have the discipline to stick to anything. At the moment my main food issue is eating properly – not necessarily eating badly but not eating properly – i.e. too much coffee, no breakfast etc! I’d really like to find that thing that clicks in my mind and steps away from a diet mentality and focuses on a healthy lifestyle – after all, that seems to be the comment theme in all the success stories I read. I’ll be following with interest to see what advice others have to your question!!! #mummymondays
    Nardia recently posted..How do you think?

Nadia, you are so right about trying to move out of the diet “paradigm” and reframing it as a healthy lifestyle instead. I think that is definitely the key to making change a long term success, not just something you do for a while to lose some weight. I’ve been enjoying all the responses too – hoping it can help me out as well!

18. Apologies, I needed to put myself in blogging time out today and I’m only just arriving at the party. Off topic. Will do my best to return first thing and catch up with everyone’s posts.

Hope you are doing ok? Please email me if you need to talk.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Blog Exchange | Thinking outside the niche

19. Alicia says:

I am in dire need of a diet overhaul. I am one of those people who diets, then puts it on again when I stop. Bad. I just need to eat fresh, not packaged food and less crappy carbs. like cake and biscuits! Good luck. A walk around the block every other day will help too 🙂
    Alicia recently posted..Piss farting around

I’m exactly the same Alicia – that’s why I’m a WW lifetime member twice over – I keep having to go back after a few years of being undisciplined and lazy!