I Must Confess…something I’ve been putting off

Oh, the irony of this week’s prompt.

Things I'm putting off right now

After being exceptionally organised blog-wise for the last few weeks, I have found myself flailing a bit this last week. There has been lots going on (our camping trip, Gilbert’s birthday, USA holiday planning, visiting my parents and more social commitments than usual) but I’ve also found myself less driven to write which is a bad combination for a blogger trying to stay organised.

The result?

Here I am, at 5am on a Monday morning, trying to write my post on putting things off. After putting off writing this post for a full week. #irony

BTW you can’t say that I’m not fully committed to each prompt or to revealing the truth in each and every one of my #imustconfess posts…

This last week, writing has been something I’ve been putting off. I’m someone who needs dedicated time and space to get my thoughts together. When it appears that I won’t have a lot of time in a particular day to sit down and do that, I tend to mentally give up and spend my time chasing my tail on social media instead.

Since last Monday (my last full day at home) I haven’t written much at all. Each day since then I haven’t achieved anything of significance, even though there were pockets of time where I could have been productive, had I chosen to do so. Instead, I procrastinated, thinking I didn’t have enough time to focus and write properly. So now I find myself a week behind in where I want to be when I could have been a little bit further along had I not mentally given up.

The lesson for me? There is no “right time” to write. I need to adapt and learn to make the most of every opportunity, however small, to get the words down on the page. I shouldn’t approach a busy day subconsciously thinking there’s no point trying to even get started. I just need to start and the words will no doubt flow. As they are now, at the unlikely hour of 5am in the morning.

The other lesson for me? Don’t log into social media before sitting down to write for the day. Just stay away from there. It is a vortex of temptation and it will pull me away from the main game, writing, if I continue to open it up first and just have a “quick look”. There is no such thing as a “quick look” when it comes to Facebook or Twitter.

Remember that Kirsty. Remember that…

Have you been putting anything off? Have you learned anything about yourself by asking yourself “why”?

Link up your story, share the comment love and enjoy being a part of the most awesome #imustconfess community!

I’m also linking up with my fellow hostesses with the mostesses every Monday – Alicia and Eva. You should too!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – share a story of a “last time” in your life (e.g. the last time you did something in particular or saw someone or had a particular experience).

1. ann says:

We have similar confessions this week!!
    I just do what I can do, some weeks is a lot, some weeks is not!!
    I hope your life settles down a little soon!!
    ann recently posted..Confessing about procrastination Song of the day #24

I’m glad I’m not the only one Ann! Things are not going to settle down anytime soon with our big trip coming up but I am hopeful to get on track when we return. No excuses then!!!

2. Lol I totally agree with social media. I have a job interview this morning, my entire family is sleeping and here is me, trying to get ready but thought I would quickly check my twitter, Facebook (both personal and pages) instagram and now linkups… my hair is still wet, coffee not drunk but at least social media is under control….
    Natalie @ OurParallelConnection recently posted..Put your Positive Pants on with OPCWonderfulWords

There is no such thing as a “quick check” on social media. I’m continuing to make that my mantra as I write…!

3. I’m much like you at the moment as far as writing goes. I’m full steam ahead as far as blogging goes, but dealing with back end issues and a host of emails that I’ve been putting off this week. After a month of hubby at sea, I’m starting to realise there really is no perfect time as well. My post for this week, is only half done and will sadly hit the blog next week, so I’ve linked up yesterday’s post.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Aussie Giveaway Linkup #178: I Say Hello

I hope your solo parenting gig is coming to an end soon Raych and that you can have a little rest when he gets back from sea x

4. Jess says:

Oh Kirsty you are speaking to me right now! I have a report to write that I have been putting off for two weeks! I find any excuse not to do it, but the situation is getting dire…I’m hoping the pressure will spur me on!
    Jess recently posted..30-by-30 #11 Go out for a meal by myself

Take it from a master procrastinator like me – you can only put things off for so long. Do it Jess – I know you can do it!!

5. If I turn around right now, I can see a sea of things I have been putting off. The computer is definitely more compelling and motivating though!
    Jody at Six Little Hearts recently posted..Day Trip Tips for Families…

The computer is the devil. I’m looking forward to my OS trip just to have some time away from it for a while (as well as all the other fun stuff we’ll do, of course!!!)

6. Yes opening up social media is such a bad way to suck your creativity, I am guilty too. It’s tough finding the right time to blog and write so you just have to chuck it down while you can. Love your commitment to putting it off BTW – ha ha.
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..I love long skinny stick-like ones.

7. I’m the same way when it comes to writing, I need to be in the right mindset to be productive. Having said that I do need to change that as best as possible because I only really get 2hrs while she naps and an hr or two at night when I can fully concentrate on writing without distractions {and I’m usually not in the mood to do it then because I’m so tired from the days activities}. I need to try and find a balance between the two.

And hey at least you got yours done at 5am. I was writing mine at 12:30 pm this afternoon lol.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..Pink, grey and white nursery theme… with a heap of cushions for good measure (because I’m addicted to buying cute cushions)

8. Well – we all have our little secrets, I am taking days to clean out my pantry. Have cleaned it out, now taking my time putting things back in tidily. Was taught to buy things in bulk when on special – never again. Will only be buying as I need things in future.
    Bronnie – Maid In Australia recently posted..I Ain’t Afraid Of No Ghost

Oh the pantry clean out. I did that a month or so back myself. It’s funny all those expired items that somehow outstay their welcome in the dark recesses of the pantry!

9. Tegan says:

I am feeling much the same way at the moment! Although I know that I regret it when I do decide to just take a break and not write. It’s just too much a part of me!
    Tegan recently posted..Easter Wholefoods Book Review

10. Alicia says:

I make the mistake of time wasting on FB. I do believe it dumbs down my creativity. I do try not to let things stew at me all day, and get the hard things out the way first up. It clears the way to be more productive and confident.

11. Man do I hear ya about the social media black hole! I saw a sign this week that seems perfect for this week’s prompt: “PROCAFFEINATION: procrastination with coffee” … love it!
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted..Too Old for Easter Eggs?

Yep – that’s gold. I know I’ll often put the kettle on when I need a break (or an excuse not to do something!)

My problem at the moment is that I have a lot of thoughts and things going on in my head that I want to write about and come up with great things whilst out and about!! I try to get them down, into my notes section on my phone, but I know I don’t get it all down and my memory is shot!!! I am so looking forward to reading all about your US trip as you’ll be over there just before me I think!!
    Zita recently posted..flying days after plane disaster

When are you heading over Zita? We’re there from April 12 through to May 4. I’m taking my laptop with me and while I won’t be blogging over there I do want to capture my thoughts and feelings at the end of each day. I find it easier to do that typing than writing in a book – last time I tried to do that my hands cramped up from all the handwriting!!!

13. Oh I fall into that social media black hole all the time and we can’t forget the pinterest one, wow that one gets your side tracked. I am extremely good at putting things off and having to check email, facebook, blogs etc is the perfect way the aid and abet that issue.
    Anne@GritandGiggles recently posted..Catching the Sun