I Must Confess…I got me some bargains!

I’m not much of a shopper. I shop more out of necessity, not so much out of fun. Don’t worry, I do enjoy the occasional shopping trek outside of the fortnightly grocery shop (I am human after all!) but after a couple of hours I’m ready to move on – I’m done.

I must confess I’m intimidated by the fancy stores – I tend to walk through the glitzy part of Westfield as fast as I can feeling the accusing glint of the chandeliers on my back the whole time. It’s as if they know that in my heart I am a big fat cheapskate.

Yep, the cheaper, the better for me. I’ll pass on Mimco, Country Road and David Jones but point me in the direction of The Reject Shop or Kmart or Big W and I’ll happily browse for a couple of hours. Even worse than being a cheapskate? I’m more a looker rather than a buyer. I guess I really am a retailer’s worst nightmare.

Given my problematic shopping history and the difficulty I have in parting with my money it’s no surprise that it has to be a real bargain for me to consider a purchase. And I’m not talking half priced Christmas decorations on Boxing Day – that’s really a lame sort of bargain, if you ask me.

No, I really, really enjoy grabbing items for half or a quarter of their original price. Particularly things that happen to be $10 or less. I really wasn’t kidding when I said I was a cheapskate!

I haven’t had much of a chance to really go out and shop lately. With Dad in hospital I tend to stick close to home when I’m not travelling to Sydney to visit him. There’s also the small matter of not having a job and being on a strict budget. Nothing like a budget to dampen the shopping enthusiasm.

However. those factors did not prevent me from scoring some great bargains at my local shopping centre just before the end of the year. I headed in to go to Coles but couldn’t go past the pop up stall selling bags and purses on my way through.

I’d been in search of a beige tote for ages and at half price ($10) I couldn’t resist this one. It’s comfortable on my shoulder and I really do like the faux quilting on the sides. All the purses were down to $5 too so I grabbed a new purse with navy and beige stripes which also matches another bag I already own. Win!

bag bargains

After I eventually emerged from Coles (yes, I did make it in there!) I took the opportunity to stop in at one of my fave clothing stores, Crossroads. I was drawn toย two black and white tops which can be dressed up or down. Since finishing work I’ve been struggling with a wardrobe that doesn’t fit my new, non-office needs so these were perfect for my new reality.

When I saw their sale price I knew it was meant to be. Originally both priced at $34.95, their sale price of $7.50 represented a saving of nearly 80% – that’s my kind of bargain! And they are comfortable to boot – I could not ask for more. Well, I could have done withย a selfie stick for my outfit shot…maybe next year ๐Ÿ™‚

clothes bargains

So for the princely sum of $30 I managed to purchase a tote, purse and two tops. Definitely bargain worthy purchases – and not a chandelier in sight!

Do you have some bargains to share? Or another completely unrelated confession to impart? You know what to do.

So what are you waiting for?

The Rulesโ€ฆ

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, weโ€™re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love โ€“ it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – let’s get literary. Share your all-time favourite books.

1. What bargains. Love them all! I’ve been avoiding the shops and the sales. Trying not to add to the chaos and on a bit of a fitness/health kick hoping to prove the DRS wrong and lose some serious weight in the next few months.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..100 words to sell yourself

2. $7.50! Score! I love those bargains!! (Nice top, btw – looks good!)
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Hawaii Suggestions Please?

I know – I didn’t even try them on beforehand as I figured I really couldn’t lose at that price. The fact they both look good and feel good on is a very nice bonus!

Awesome bargain buys! Love love love the handbag and wallet! Score!
    Zita recently posted..for a new backpack

4. Nice scoring! I’m a bargain hunter too, although my biggest bargain shopping faux pas is that I get caught up in how cheap something is and I don’t apply the ‘do I need this?/Will I actually use it?’ test…
    Emma Fahy Davis recently posted..No Deborah Hutton, addiction is NOT a disability…

I’ve been very guilty of that in the past too Emma. Luckily I did need these things and they were an absolute bargain. But there have been other occasions when I wasn’t so smart!

5. I’m the same- love a bargain, hate spending big and don’t have the budget for it anyway! Op shopping is my weakness- cannot resist!
    Amy @ Handbagmafia recently posted..Growing Up With A Disordered Mother

Ooh op shopping. We have about 5 op shops in our main street and they are so fun to go through. I will have to make a morning of it again sometime soon – thanks for the reminder Amy!

6. ann says:

Excellent bargains, well done!! I love when I get so much for so little!! Usually I only get kids clothes at ridiculous bargain prices!!
    ann recently posted..Maxine the maxidress

7. Great bargains Kirsty! I love Crossroads & they have some great sales – I got 2 pairs of sandals for $15 last week. I’m with you – I can’t believe the designer stores manage to stay open – why would anybody shop there and pay those prices??!!!
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted..Macarons or Macaroons?

8. Brilliant bargains, love your purse and bag, tops what a bargain, look good to x
    Rae Hilhorst recently posted..The shite Your Father got up to Over the Christmas Break

I couldn’t believe them myself – and in my normal everyday shopping centre too! They were clearly meant to be ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Julie says:

I love bargain and would say I have the same shopping strategy as you. Nice top ๐Ÿ™‚
    Julie recently posted..Chores Charts and Age Appropriate Chores

10. I went shopping on Boxing day for the first time ever this year. I didn’t buy much though, just some wooden christmas tree decorations that were 70% off. After working in retail for years I can spot a real bargain and a fake one from a mile away. I didn’t do a post about my wooden trees cos I figured it’d be kind of boring so I’m linking Fridays post instead ๐Ÿ™‚

A bag for $10 is a super bargain!
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..Giggle & Hoot live in Brisbane

11. Jess says:

I had a Myer gift voucher for Xmas and totally forgot about the sales until I went there. I planned on getting 2 things with the money, and I ended up getting 4….LOVE a good bargain!
    Jess recently posted..The Friday Wrap 9.1.15

I got a Myer gift card for xmas too Jess. I have checked out the sales online but so far I haven’t found anything I want to spend it on – oh the irony of having money to spend but nothing to spend it on!!!

12. I must admit I really don’t like shopping either, but definitely can’t pass up a bargain! It’s a good thing the nearest K-Mart is a good 20 minute drive away as I would never leave the palce (the fact that it’s 24 hours is even better as it means I can go late at night after the girls are in bed and I’ve had dinner. Everything in there is so cheap! I LOVE your bag! I am in the market for a new one as the one I got for Christmas last year finally gave up the ghost hen one of the shoulder straps broke while in the city a couple of weeks ago seeing the Disney Live show with Punky. The perils of a handbag doubling as a mini-nappy bag I suppose. Now that I am not having to cart a nappy bag around with me all the time I think I can justify finding myself a nice, not-so-kid-friendly one! Let the search begin!
    Kylie Purtell – A Study in Contradictions recently posted..Taking Stock {January 2015} // Life

I wish you luck in your quest for a not so kid friendly bag! I must admit I love the fact that I no longer have to carry all and sundry in my bag anymore, yet I do still end up with a lot of useless stuff… ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. Tegan says:

Awesome bargains! I didn’t get any this year, and pretty much avoided the shops as much as I could. I’m like you and hate just browsing a lot of the time.
    Tegan recently posted..Black and White Thinking

I have to confess I usually hate browsing because I don’t have the money to buy anything anyway! But crowds do me in and I HATE fighting with other people to even just move in a shopping centre, let alone trying to get a carpark or a seat when you want a rest…!

14. Rightio the next time you’re in town you must take me shopping – I’m useless, hate it and don’t have the patience! Good score Kirsty. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy 2015, thinking of your dad xx
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..25 things I HAVENโ€™T learned in the past year!

I’m hoping to head up your way again sometime soon – need to introduce the kids to theme parks. Between shopping with you and watching Aroha’s Foxtel (sport of course!) I’ll be set whenever I make it up that way!!!!

15. What a gorgeous bag and purse you picked up!! I adore stripes!!! x
    Laura Evelyn Bee recently posted..When bad cakes happen to good people

The striped purse is actually really nice, considering it was only $5. It has a great fabric texture and is not plastic at all – I love the feel of it as well as the way it looks. Stripes are cool!

16. Paula J says:

Good for you for buying yourself something! And even better that you got a bargain..love the bag and wallet ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for hosting..hope you have a great week!
    Paula J recently posted..NO RULES Weekend Blog Party #118!

17. Robo says:

I’m not much of a shopper either, I only venture out if I really need something. I did get a few bargains in the sales though. One dress and about $250 worth of stuff for Mr Robo. He was lucky.
    Robo recently posted..The Prettiest Mum at the School

18. Clothes shopping is torturous to me. I hate it. I am totally a necessity kinda girl and only try on once I’m home. I guess that’s why my wardrobe is so drab. Great finds ๐Ÿ™‚
    Kaz @ Melting Moments recently posted..Weekly Wrap Up: Disconnect to Reconnect. Digital Detox – Can I do it?

I completely understand. I really should get more into online shopping but I hate the thought of clothes not fitting or not suiting me and then having the hassle of returning them. Which is why I do occasionally make it to the shops to try stuff on!

19. Vanessa says:

That level of bargain is so me, too! It’s a hard line to play though – wait too long and the item you’re waiting on to be reduced might be gone.

20. Oh my, you are quite the bargain shopper! Well done on those amazing savings! Love the stripey purse and it does match really well with the handbag ๐Ÿ™‚
    Visiting via FYBF!
    Di from Max The Unicorn recently posted..Thoughts on my Pre-Xmas Lush Haul!

21. I love a good bargain and these really are great. I’m not much of a shopper, I do most of my shopping in Charity (Op) shops because firstly, I like a bargain and secondly, I like to find things that are a little bit different. Absolutely love both of those tops!
    People Don’t Eat Enough Fudge recently posted..I Am A Work Of Art (although slightly abstract …)

22. Grace says:

Wow! That’s a great bargain, Kirsty! It’s good to do a bit of shopping, even if it is just as a bit of escapism from all the pressures of life.
    Love the tops! Gorgeous! Suits your pretty smile ๐Ÿ™‚ x
    Grace recently posted..FYBF – Fitted For Work

1. February 15, 2016

[…] current handbag is one I picked up for the princely sum of $10, over 12 months ago now. And it’s still going […]