I Must Confess…my favourite post of 2014

It’s time for the last I Must Confess linkup for 2014.

I have to admit that 2014 has been a crappy year for me – my own annus horribilis, if you will. I won’t rehash every gory detail as you are no doubt sick of hearing me complain for the umpteenth time, but if you are new or confused, this post will clue you in.

I must confess that I really wasn’t keen to retrace my year in order to identify my favourite post for 2014. It’s the same reason that I haven’t embraced the whole Facebook year in review thing (although, I am not alone there). Considering how big and confronting and tough this year has been (and continues to be), I just want to try to move forward rather than look back and relive everything all over again.

But sometimes it can be beneficial to look back, even if the process of recollection is painful. It allows you to revisit the good that is often hidden, deep within the bad. The act of remembering can help you put your experience into perspective and can sometimes even result in new, happier recollections.

Which is why re-reading this post again has reminded me of my hopes, dreams and aspirations for 2014. It has also set me on a better, more positive path for 2015. It is most definitely my favourite post of the year.

My fave post of 2014

In this vein I’m also continuing to try to practise positivity, It has been a real challenge lately in the face of my father’s setbacks in hospital but it is genuinely helping me concentrate on what I know and focus less on all those pesky and worrying unknowns. It is a truly useful way to reduce stress, strain and anxiety, every single day.

Practising positivity on a larger scale highlights that my “annus horribilius’ can actually be seen in a different light. Sure I had my own health issues that culminated in a stroke-like episode but I’m healthy now. Yes, my father has cancer and is still in ICU but he is still here, fighting tooth and nail to remain with us. And yes, I no longer have a job but that was my choice and while I’m still adjusting to my new reality I am definitely healthier for making that choice.

Perspective is a funny, funny thing. Maybe my year wasn’t quite so terrible after all?

So, take the time to look back over your own year and share the post that meant the most to you. It can be a post of your own or a post from someone else. It can be short or long. Funny or sad. It’s your choice.

Sounds easy, right?

Link up, spread the comment love and join in with the fabulous I Must Confess community for our last hurrah in 2014!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – share your resolutions/goals/words/plans for 2015!

1. Here’s hoping to a better year in 2015 for you. Xx
    I am really not sure how this year has been for me. It’s been fast! Too fast. I haven’t stopped for a moment. It has been pretty good I think. Better now that it’s Summer anyway! Have a good break and rest! X
    Jody at Six Little Hearts recently posted..The Christmas That Was and a 2014 Wrap Up Link-Up

Thanks Jody x
      I’m pleased to hear you’ve had a good, albeit fast paced year. Hoping you and your family have another fabulous year in 2015 although I suspect it’s just going to go faster, isn’t it?

2. Caz Filmer says:

Next year I should totally do this with you. May 2015 be your best year yet 🙂
    Caz Filmer recently posted..Best Ever Carrot Cake {Never Fail Recipes}

You should – confess away Caz!

2015 has the makings of an awesome year – just need to be rid of all the health issues and I’ll be set. Hoping you have a lovely healthy 2015 too x

Am glad you have managed to find your positive amongst the year that was Kirsty, sometimes it’s also good to look but and think ‘man, all that sh!t happened and I made it and I’m stronger because of it!’….. Looking forward to sharing 2015 with you!
    Zita recently posted..to review 2014

Actually that’s true Zita. It wasn’t until I wrote that post that I did truly understand everything that had happened this year. I think blogging through it all helped me survive the onslaught – here’s hoping 2015 is a little less dramatic!

4. Tegan says:

I hope that 2015 is a better year for you. Thank you for continuing your link up and letting us into your life.
    Tegan recently posted..A Merry Musings Christmas

5. I hope your dad continues to fight to stay with you 🙂
    I had a look at my stats and did my top 10 posts from 2014 based on visits by readers. My favourite post didn’t actually make the list (probably because I only wrote it at the end of the year), it was the 10 ways you can tell your baby is now a toddler post because its such an adequate description of my daily life.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..Your favourite Finding Myself Young posts of 2014

I really enjoyed your top 10 post Toni – I’m going to try to do the same. And I can totally relate to everything on your favourite post – gosh the change from baby to toddler seems to occur in the blink of an eye!

6. Julie says:

Hoping you have a better 2015. Good bye to 2014. Look forward to more of My Home Turths next year.
    Julie
    Julie recently posted..Easy Potato Salad – Motivation Monday Not

Thanks so much Julie. I have to admit I cannot wait to see the back of 2014 – let’s hope 2015 is a lot less eventful for us all!

7. Jess says:

Great Job turning the negative into kind-of-positives, that is really hard to do. xx
    Jess recently posted..Merry Christmas!!

I do try to put a positive spin on things but I have to admit it has been hard to find the good amid the bad in the last few weeks 😉

8. Mumabulous says:

I am so sorry to hear of your Dad’s illness. Wishing your lovely family all the best in 2015. May it bring a wonderful new direction.
    Lots of Love
    Mumabulous recently posted..Another ‘Abulous Annus

Thanks Mumabs. It’s got to get better from here otherwise this will become a rather sad, sorry and boring piece of cyberspace.. 😉

9. Happy New Year Kirsty. So sorry to hear your dad wasn’t doing so well. I’m not online much but have been reading snippets when I can. This must be the latest I’ve ever linked up. Have had a bit of an impromptu blogging break myself while on forced bed rest trying to avoid a hospital stay. Slowly getting back on my feet and looking forward to leaving 2014 behind.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Worth Casing Wednesday – Blogger Survival Kit Revealed