I Must Confess…I hate maths!

First off I must confess that it’s 5am on Monday morning and I’ve had to set the alarm to get up and write this post so it’s ready for 6am. That’s the closest I’ve ever come to not having anything prepared for the linkup!

Reminds me of the many episodes of cramming or leaving homework to the last minute that seemed to occur during my school and uni days. I always got the job done but I really should have planned better and not left everything to the last minute…

Which brings me to my most detested subject at school – maths.

I must confess...I hate maths!

People generally belong to one of two camps – those who are numbers oriented and those who are word oriented. I loved all the subjects where I could write to my heart’s content such as english and history. However, I struggled when it came to subjects with a number focus such as maths and physics.

I can do basic maths but I could never completely understand the more complex concepts of the senior high school years. Plus, I could never work out answers to maths questions using the mandated methodology and workings out. I occasionally got the right answer in the end but I would lose marks for not being able to comprehensively show just how I got there.

Which sucked because, hello, I got the answer right! Isn’t that the whole point???

Anyway, as a consequence, I spent most of my maths lessons sitting with a couple of friends and talking way too much. Which made maths lessons more tolerable but also led to less than average results and reports that featured that old chesnut “…if Kirsty would only talk less and apply herself more she would achieve better results.”

I must confess I received that comment throughout my school life and not just in maths classes 😉

In the end I managed to study more subjects than I needed to for the HSC so my pitiful maths mark could be discounted for my tertiary entrance rank calculation. Which was a good thing as the maths exam that year was apparently quite hard. Plus many students had been affected by the news of River Phoenix’s death on the morning of the exam. That was quite the talking point as we waited outside the examination hall…

So how about you. Like me, did you hate calculus and integration and logarithms and algebra and all those other useless maths concepts that have nothing to do with everyday life? Or is there another subject that you came to loathe?

Make your confession, link it up and share in the comment love. It’s fun – trust me!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – santa photos. Do you do them? Have you done them in the past? Do you have any stories or photos to share?

1. I was quite good at maths, so while I found it boring, I didn’t hate it…just wasn’t into it, probably laziness more than anything….
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..The Art of Happiness (part 2)

I think that’s the key for me too Lydia – I found maths boring and am not at all inspired by solving mathematical equations and problems. But it also didn’t help that I really wasn’t that good at it either… 😉

2. I’m not a big maths fan either, I just don’t ‘get’ mathematical concepts. Words have always been my thing. Interestingly, my three oldest are all also better with words than numbers, but Chiara, who really struggles at school, is much better at maths than reading. I guess your brain is either wired one way or the other.
    Emma Fahy Davis recently posted..An Unlikely Bully

I do believe most people gravitate to one or the other. My son is very much like me, strong in spelling, grammar and writing while I’m not quite sure yet about my girls. My youngest could go either way while Matilda is capable in both areas yet prefers CAPA subjects like art, music and drama. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out for all our kids!

3. I did cabbage maths at school, eg I was in the easy class. I still bummed out majorally! I can do the basics but not trig, etc – that stuff is just not needed these days, unless you’re thinking of becoming some who works out the angles of triangles – YAWN!
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..On parenting kids who know it all? Laugh Link

Hahaha – cabbage maths at our school was called Maths in Space (I think it’s real name at the time was Maths in Society). I can honestly say I have NEVER used any of that stuff, including trigonometry, etc, which is a good thing because I don’t remember much of it anyway!!!

Yep Maths was definitely not my favourite and as a teacher I didn’t really like teaching it, I just hope I was able to fake it enough that my dislike for Maths didn’t rub off on any of my students..
    Zita recently posted..for some mini confessions

Good on your for at least giving it a go – I can’t imagine teaching it at all. My maths teacher was lovely but now I look back she was not at all inspired or passionate about it. Who would be when you just work to a textbook each lesson?

5. Hugzilla says:

I’m a bit of a freak because I LOVED maths. I actually loved maths class more than English class, even though I’m a writer. I loved the discipline of maths, that fact that it was rules based. Follow the rules, get the right answer. Unlike English, where you could waffle on in an essay in a million different ways, and you needed to think of all that yourself. Maths = just do what Maths tells you to and don’t argue. LOL.
    Hugzilla recently posted..In Defence of Kim Kardashian’s Arse

6. Tegan says:

Math wasn’t my strong point once they added letters to the mix. I did physics when I was at school but only because the only other OP subject on that line was Art and I was even worse at that lol.
    Tegan recently posted..The day science was ruined

Funny you say that about art and physics on the same line – I swapped from physics to art in Year 11 after a couple of weeks. I was not cut out for physics but I ended up smashing the theory parts of art. The practicals were another matter… 😉

7. I love a bit of both worlds…numbers and words!

I’m not a maths genius but I have a fairly good grasp. Served me well in 13 years of a finance career.

As for words…love them! I feel like the numbers side of my brain has stifled my creativity somewhat but I’m working on that.

I’m in awe of those with a talent for both Shannon! Glad to hear you have escaped the finance world and you’re now working on your creative side 🙂

8. Shari says:

I’m odd and I know it….. I was equally good at English and Maths then went on to become a high school English and Maths teacher. I didn’t really enjoy school though, go figure. PE was my nemesis and I have memories of being a smart arse choosing to write out lines rather than participate.

You are lucky, rather than odd Shari! And I suspect we would have been writing out lines together – after maths, my next loathed subject was PE.

9. Fiona says:

I did 4 unit to HELP my TER, 🙂

Then spent ten years hanging around uni maths depts with my PhD ing partner
    Fiona recently posted..Glassesshop.com (20% discount code)

10. I’m with you Kirsty, hated Maths too. I’m a words rather than a numbers person!
    Janet @ Middle Aged Mama recently posted..Practically Un-Australian

I’m far more comfortable with words too Janet. I tended to excel in the theory parts of more hands on subjects like music and art as well so I recognised my strength early and decided to stick with it!

11. I was good at most subjects and was continually referred to as the quiet achiever. OMG how things have changed, not that I’m not achieving just the fact that I’m no longer so quiet.

I’m linking up my latest LBD adventures this week as my laptop is playing up making today’s blog post mission impossible, there is a confession in there somewhere. Mainly the fact that I haven’t frequented a nightclub since moving to Perth.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..I love the NIGHTLIFE | Mystery Case Style Challenge | The Perfect LBD 52 Ways

12. I hated maths and didn’t do very well at it but that’s because I didn’t enjoy the class and because I got little help with it. Come university I did really well at Statistics which was full of algebra…the teaching was so different. I’m really keen to put my mind to it again.
    Eva @ The Multitasking Mummy recently posted..Little Boys And Toy Guns

That’s a classic example of how an unsupported environment can really bring a student down. I’ve dabbled in numbers in working life since school (executive reporting, budgeting, forecasting, etc) and I learned a little bit more about mathematical, reporting and statistical concepts but it’s still not for me. I hope you get the chance to put your mind to it again soon Eva!

13. Maths is just of practical enough for me. I just do not get the point of it. They should do more percentages of cost and how much money I would save at a sale stuff.
    Sarah from Creating Contentment recently posted..the truth about how horrible I am

14. Maxabella says:

Loathed it so much in high school but then went on to do pure statistics as a subject as part of my psych degree. Which just goes to show that anything works for me in context… x
    Maxabella recently posted..10 ideas | Things parents do that really matter to kids

I think I must have been scarred for life by my experiences in school. I’m obviously not completely terrible at maths (I’ve been successful in budgeting, finance and reporting roles at work) but I’ve never sought out roles that required it. Pure statistics sounds very intimidating…

15. I’m in my 40’s & still have nightmares about going to my High School Vegie Maths class unprepared for yet another Maths test!
    I was more the Artist/ creative/ designer student (majored in Art) and thus loathed anything remotely related to Maths back then.
    Of course this attitude came back to bite me in the butt when I had children & they needed help with Maths homework &, I started my own business!

Hahaha! Yes, it does bite us in the butt when it comes to the kids. Thankfully mine are not doing anything too complicated as yet but I’m not looking forward to the challenges of high school maths!

16. Yea I pretty much hated maths. I was ok at it, but had no desire to try harder. I loved economics, that was my favourite.

I’ve linked up an old post about school subjects because I have a sick little bub and haven’t had time to write anything new this week 🙁
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..52 WEEKS OF MEMORIES | 45 – HOLDING

17. Gosh I hated Maths, so much so if I am stressed out these days I end up having a dream at night that I haven’t studied for my HSC maths exam and I wake up in a wild panic!