I Must Confess…my go-to recipe
It may not have escaped your notice that I am no food blogger. I actually do all that I can to avoid being in the kitchen and having to make dinner. Unfortunately as I’m at home now, I am in the kitchen more than ever as I apparently now have the time to devote to the culinary arts.
Man, I make myself laugh sometimes…I am the one, after all, who nuked a pie and destroyed a microwave in the process a couple of years back…
As I’m not a talented culinary artist I tend to stick to tried and true recipes like spaghetti bolognaise, savoury mince, roasts, curries and the traditional meat and veg combo. I also love the convenience of oven baked frozen meals and pantry life-savers such as macaroni cheese on those nights where cooking is just too hard.
However I do have a go-to recipe that I discovered when I started Weight Watchers. It’s something you can have for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can use any ingredients that you have to hand. And it can be a main meal or a side dish for when you’re entertaining.
Can you guess?
I’m talking about the humble yet tasty and very versatile frittata!
As long as you have eggs and milk you can make any sort of frittata that you like. Nathan and I bake one every week to provide us with easy, hot, gluten free breakfasts. We change the ingredients depending on what we have at hand. In the past we have used sausages, bacon, ham, tomatoes, baked vegies and steamed vegies for our frittatas and each one has it’s own yummy flavour.
So here’s my recipe for frittata surprise!
500 ml milk
3 sausages, cooked and sliced
1 medium sized sweet potato, roasted and sliced
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup steamed peas and corn
Salt and pepper
Mixed herbs to taste
1.Preheat oven to 180C
2. Spray a lasagne dish with spray oil
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add milk
4. Add salt and pepper and herbs to taste and beat until mixed thoroughly
5. Line the lasagne dish with the sausages, sweet potato, tomatoes and peas and corn
6. Pour the egg, milk and herb mixture into the dish, making sure to cover all ingredients
7. Place dish into the pre-heated oven for 45 mins or until cooked through
You can really put whatever you want in it – it’s an awesome way to use up the remains of your fridge, freezer or pantry.
What’s your go-to recipe? Feel free to share and play along with I Must Confess!
– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.
– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.
– Feel free to go with the prompt for the week or add your own confession, whatever suits.
– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!
– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.