I Must Confess…my go-to recipe

It may not have escaped your notice that I am no food blogger. I actually do all that I can to avoid being in the kitchen and having to make dinner. Unfortunately as I’m at home now, I am in the kitchen more than ever as I apparently now have the time to devote to the culinary arts.

Man, I make myself laugh sometimes…I am the one, after all, who nuked a pie and destroyed a microwave in the process a couple of years back…

2013-03-01 13.58.47

As I’m not a talented culinary artist I tend to stick to tried and true recipes like spaghetti bolognaise, savoury mince, roasts, curries and the traditional meat and veg combo. I also love the convenience of oven baked frozen meals and pantry life-savers such as macaroni cheese on those nights where cooking is just too hard.

However I do have a go-to recipe that I discovered when I started Weight Watchers. It’s something you can have for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can use any ingredients that you have to hand. And it can be a main meal or a side dish for when you’re entertaining.

Can you guess?

My go-to recipe

I’m talking about the humble yet tasty and very versatile frittata!

As long as you have eggs and milk you can make any sort of frittata that you like. Nathan and I bake one every week to provide us with easy, hot, gluten free breakfasts. We change the ingredients depending on what we have at hand. In the past we have used sausages, bacon, ham, tomatoes, baked vegies and steamed vegies for our frittatas and each one has it’s own yummy flavour.

So here’s my recipe for frittata surprise!

Ingredients

6 eggs

500 ml milk

3 sausages, cooked and sliced

1 medium sized sweet potato, roasted and sliced

8 cherry tomatoes, halved

1 cup steamed peas and corn

Salt and pepper

Mixed herbs to taste

Method

1.Preheat oven to 180C

2. Spray a lasagne dish with spray oil

3. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add milk

4. Add salt and pepper and herbs to taste and beat until mixed thoroughly

5. Line the lasagne dish with the sausages, sweet potato, tomatoes and peas and corn

6. Pour the egg, milk and herb mixture into the dish, making sure to cover all ingredients

7. Place dish into the pre-heated oven for 45 mins or until cooked through

You can really put whatever you want in it – it’s an awesome way to use up the remains of your fridge, freezer or pantry.

What’s your go-to recipe? Feel free to share and play along with I Must Confess!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – what was the one subject you absolutely loathed at school?

1. Lydia C. Lee says:

I love the pie – that’s my loff cooking (but usually in the oven, cos I get bored, wander off and do something else and an hour later smell the damage…)
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Time Conquers All

The pie is the nadir of my cooking fails – I honestly thought the instructions said put it in the microwave for 15 minutes, turns out it should have been 1.5 minutes. There’s a reason I now wear my glasses more often 😉

Oh that does look good! Whenever I have to cook something to take to work I always do a zucchini slice, so easy, can be eaten hot or cold and everyone loves it so there’s no leftovers to drag home!
    Zita recently posted..for dinner at the #1 restaurant in Ho Chi Minh

3. Great recipe. We use to have a go to DIY recipe book of our super easy and family favourite meals but it is missing in action. I might need to start over with this recipe.

I’m off topic this week, although you could call it a recipe for disaster. I possibly should try and remember to stay away from blogging when it’s a full moon, hubby is away and I’m super tired. Feel like I’ve had a bit of a blogging tantrum and someone should put me in the blogging time out corner.

All ok now
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Mystery Case Confession | Sex, Food and Wash & Dry

4. I should make this once a week for the hubby and I, my fussy sharts would not eat it, but maybe one day. I do love the idea of just chucking stuff in, as yo u know I’m from the same school of cookery as you!! x

5. I don’t get to cook exciting food that I like much because Trent being the fussy butt he is won’t eat most of the stuff I like. I love casseroles, corned beef, lasagne, homemade pies and sausage rolls, stirfrys, pasta bakes etc but he pretty much only wants to eat spaghetti and meat and three veg. I think he’d be happy to eat steak, mashed potato and corn everyday. Its so frustrating!
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..Mummy Must Have | Personalised Santa Sacks by My Teddy

We should swap husbands Toni! Mine would love a more varied selection of dinners while I think I could certainly help Trent with his preferences 😉

6. I love frittata’s and quiches. We probably have them quite reqularily too. They are easy and popular, clean out the pantry and fridge plus are healthy. Whats not to love.
    Sarah from Creating Contentment recently posted..another baby

7. I do like a frittata for lunch, but I do mine in a frypan and then grill the top – I never thought of doing the whole lot in the oven – genius!
    Janet @ Middle Aged Mama recently posted..2014 – Year of the Kitchen Gadget

I can’t take credit for that idea Janet but it really is so easy to make. Trust me, if I can make it, ANYONE can make it!!!!

8. I love frittata’s! Your recipe looks yummy – especially with the sweet potato added. Definately going to have to cook this one up 😉 x
    Min@WriteoftheMiddle recently posted..Mindful Monday: Nature – a tonic for the spirit

Go ahead and out anything you want in it Min. The one pictured has salami, ham, roasted vegies (incl sweet potato!) and steamed vegies (corn. carrots, peas, beans). Very morish 🙂

9. Tegan says:

Yum! I wish that Mr 5 would expand his culinary delights a little more so I know he would eat this.
    Tegan recently posted..Easy Gnocchi Recipe

10. Sarah Poppy says:

I love a frittata – I haven’t made one for a while. Im going to add it to my meal list. I too tend to make my favourites – the easy go to meals that I know everyone will eat. Thanks for linking up with Mummy Mondays. #TeamMM
    Sarah Poppy recently posted..MONDAY MOTIVATING MUM – Katie

11. Alicia says:

I love your frittata! I really love that you used sweet potato, I love sweet potato, and have to make this. It’d be great for hubby to take to work too 🙂
    Alicia recently posted..Liebster award from Steph 🙂

The sweet potato adds some softness and sweetness to it – I’ll sometimes even bake some especially to go into the frittata! Lucky this time around we had lots of veggies left over from our Sunday roast. Now I just have to get Gilbert and Delilah to eat more veggies so I have less leftover 😉

12. Paula J says:

I love frittatas! And it is the perfect go-to meal. I can cook alright, but I never have the energy or or time to do so. It is so much less stressful to stick with basics.

Thanks for hosting..have a great week 🙂
    Paula J recently posted..6 Fun Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids!

13. Yum this sounds very easy and tasty. I will have to whip one up one day.
    Anne@gritandgiggles recently posted..My go-to recipe