I Must Confess…5 things I’ve learned about pets

As you no doubt know by now, we are the proud owners of two of the cutest creatures on earth. Our pug babies, Evie and Mandie.

I love them to bits – I guess if you follow me on social media that will come as no surprise, given the number of photos I have shared!

However, there are a few things that have surprised me about pet ownership and I wanted to confess my naivety to you all today.

5 things about pets

1. The pugs have a better diet than we do. They honestly do. I put more effort into making their dinners of pureed vegetables, mince and rice than I do with ours, which usually involves putting oven baked goods into the oven to bake. The pugs are undoubtedly receiving more nutritional value than the rest of the family combined…sad but true.

2. The kids have been relegated to second division. I’m ashamed to admit that in this initial week, at least, the pugs have claimed most of my attention. They are officially the babies of the house now and have required a lot of attention in this first week, from toileting to grooming to feeding and play. The poor kids have been forced to do a little more for themselves – which, on reflection, may not be a totally bad thing 😉

3. There is hair. SO MUCH HAIR. And smell. And poo. And wee. I think toilet training a puppy is so much more work that toilet training a toddler. Plus there’s all the chewing on everything. None of this is a huge surprise but I guess I’m surprised at just how full-on it all is. And did I mention the hair and the smell? I honestly don’t recall ever cleaning this house as much as I have in the last week…

4. The pugs have been so very well behaved, testament to the wonderful breeder we were lucky enough to adopt them from. There has been no whining at night. There’s been very few accidents in their crate. And there’s been very little troubling behaviour from either of them. They are happy to be with each other or sit near us or soak up time with the kids – whatever is on offer at the time. They have beautiful temperaments and are just gorgeous to be around.

5. Despite all the work and disruption to family life, the pugs bring a smile to all our faces everyday. Even to Gilbert’s. I knew having pets would be a good thing for the family but I didn’t realise they would have such an immediate effect. Already we are having less screen time, spending more time outside and laughing and smiling more as a family. I’m loving watching the kids develop their own sort of relationships with the pugs – it’s truly beautiful to witness 🙂

It’s only been a week and I’m sure there will be more revelations along the way but these are the things I know about pet ownership right now.

What are your thoughts?

Whatever your confession, new or old, personal or general, funny or poignant, link it up and join in with the I Must Confess community!

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – share your go-to recipe when you are in a fix and have to get something ready, fast.

1. Tegan says:

They are so cute! I hope that they continue to have such a positive impact on your family.
    Tegan recently posted..I must confess, I love my pet

Thanks Tegan – they have been a massive distraction for all of us as we’ve got used to them but I’m hoping to get more into a routine with them this week. Hoping the positivity continues too x

2. Didn’t make it this week – will try to be organised next week – cute dogs and as above, I’m glad they have such a positive impact. Funny how pets do!

3. Kerry-Anne says:

I have a black cat that really belongs to my daughter. The cat suffers from extreme anxiety so didn’t enjoy a new home when my daughter moved out. So she is staying with me ( and Iyes I was pleased she had to be returned) and my daughter has visitation rights 🙂 I have a dog that belongs to my son. My son is moving out in about a month and is taking the dog. I will miss both terribly and have told my son I want visitation rights and to mind the dog for a weekend every now and then. Pets are part of the family. Love them both.

I grew up with dogs and have missed not having them since I moved out of home many moons ago. They really do become a much valued member of the family. I hope the visitations go well and that you do get to have some more time with them in future Kerry-Anne 🙂

4. The relationship between kids and pets is so special. I think its so wonderful for them to experience the unconditional love and happiness an animal can bring. Bub and one of my cats are inseparable its so dam cute to watch them together.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..Cats and babies

That would be total cuteness Toni! I love hearing Delilah’s cackles of laughter as she plays with them each day – the sound of laughter (particularly hers!) is very contagious and is doing wonders for us as a family x

5. I’m not an animal person at all but the cat that is deciding if it should adopt us really has had a positive influence on all of us that I’m slowly changing my tune.
    Raych aka Mystery Case recently posted..Smooth Operator | Mystery Case Confession

I’m not a massive animal person either. I would only ever have dogs as that’s what I grew up with. Other pets though, not my thing. We have family with cat allergies which rules them out and I cannot do rabbits or hamsters or mice or anything like that. But dogs are cute and I will deal with the hair and the smell if it means we have a happier and healthier family. Glad you are starting to see the positives too Raych x

Your pugs are adorable Kirsty! We’ve adopted a dog recently from an animal shelter. Mr 10 has desperately wanted one for so long and we kept resisting it. I agree, it’s a made a huge difference for us already. The boys go outside more, Mr 10 is beside himself with happiness. I’ve even been taking her for walks with Mr 10 and 6. She’s a some sort of fox terrier cross, but she has a good nature. Loves people and is past the puppy stage, thankfully!

It is funny about the diet issue, as you say. Everyone says don’t give dogs this or that (chocolate, for example), but we never worry about eating it ourselves!
    Ness recently posted..A Continuing Theme

I bet your boys are in heaven Ness – how wonderful to rescue a dog! I would have liked to have rescued a dog in need but with Gilbert’s uncertainty with dogs we needed to select a breed to best suit the family. So far, so good. The pugs are even starting to get under his defences – he still doesn’t spend a lot of time with them but he wants to pat them sometimes and he is not barricading himself in his room as much as he did when they first arrived. AND he went to a house with a dog on the weekend and didn’t have a single problem – didn’t even notice it. I call that a definite win in my book!

7. Sounds like the pugs have changed your family life for the better! One of the things I love about my hubster is that he is as besotted with our kitteh as I am :-). And yes, you’re right, new pets are a LOT of work!!!!
    Janet @ Middle Aged Mama recently posted..Kittehs I have known and loved

The pugs have definitely made us all happier – I know I am! I like sitting down at night with Nathan and having the pugs give us cuddles – it is lovely to share the love x

8. Deborah says:

Ha ha! Most people I know had pets before they had kids and so – until the kids the pets were absolutely treasured… but as soon as the kids came along the poor pet was mostly ignored (until the kids were old enough to play with / torture it!)

Deb
    Deborah recently posted..TV show: Scorpion

9. They are soooo gorgeous. I just love puppies, the world through their eyes is a better place. Know what you mean about the chewing though….and the toilet training 🙂
    floodproofmum recently posted..Simple Living Sunday 41

10. Oh you have PUGS! I love pugs!
    I am not a dog lover at all I might add – more a cat person, but pugs are so damn cute! They are just gorgeous! We rehomed a dog last year. (Tibetan Spaniel.) It was our first dog and I found that caring for her was too high maintenance. She always escaped, yapped when the baby was sleeping and yapped and yapped! As I predicted when we got the dog, I ended up with all the ‘care’ and worry about her while everyone else was off doing their thing. I had enough and she went to a lovely home and I am happy for her to this day – best decision ever!
    Jody at Six Little Hearts recently posted..Have You Tried Shopping at Ozsale?

I’ve always loved pugs – so happy to finally have two of my very own!

I think you obviously made the right decision, as hard as it may have been Jody. I bet the right pet is still out there for your family x

11. Hugzilla says:

Naaaw, this is so adorable and I love how well-looked after and doted on they are. Dogs are awesome, and deserve heaps of affection. Not a big fan of the toilet training and the puppy chewing, but everything after that is awesome (I think the same about kids too).
    Hugzilla recently posted..Winners of the $30 Coles Voucher!!

12. Alicia says:

Oh the hair, it get’s everywhere. I sweep it up. I wear it. Some fabrics it just clings to and the hair becomes one with the clothes! We have a jack russell.
    It sounds like Gilbert is warming to them 🙂 Pugs are cute I must admit.
    Alicia recently posted..A liebster from Leanda

13. Paula J says:

They are so adorable!! I can see why everything else has taken a back seat…I don’t blame you!!
    Thanks for hosting…have a terrific week 🙂
    Paula J recently posted..Baby Star Update 39 Weeks!

14. Sharon says:

They are so cute and I’m sure they will bring a lot of joy to your family. Thqnks for linking to Mummy Mondays. #Team MM
    Sharon recently posted..Slow Down Challenge: Plant Something

15. Vanessa says:

I love being a pet owner 🙂 People freak out that my dog needs a tablet and a needle every 12 hours but even that really isn’t that hard.
    Vanessa recently posted..Three Helpful Business & Life Coaches with Great Blogs