Thankful for my mental health

It’s been quite a while since I’ve joined in with Thankful Thursday. Not that I haven’t been thankful during that time, just that I’ve lacked the time to document my thanks.

But this week is mental health week and tomorrow just happens to be World Mental Health Day so I really want to give thanks for my present state of good mental health.

Thankful for my mental healthYes, this is me. I’m pleased to say that, right now, I’m feeling good. I’m feeling positive. I feel less stressed and more happy.

In the past, I’ve struggled with intermittent bouts of depression and anxiety and I’ve written quite a few posts previously about my experiences:

Maintaining my mental health

Reclaiming  my mental health

Not Quite Right

Suffocated

Facing My Demons

While I feel good now, the thing is, I will never be free of depression or anxiety. It has been my on/off companion since puberty and I’ve learned to live with it as best I can.

Mental illness can be a lifelong condition. Anyone can be affected – in fact, in Australia, approximately 1 in 5 people will experience mental illness each year – that’s 20% of the population. These 20% will have friends, family and professionals around them, which means that nearly every one of us will eventually be affected by mental illness, in one way or another.

This is why the continuing stigma surrounding mental illness is so troubling. With mental illness reaching all levels of the community there really should be no stigma. It should be accepted and supported in the same way as any physical illness should be.

That’s part of the reason I’ve never hidden my own battles.

I AM NOT ASHAMED.

And I’m not ashamed now to be thankful for my current state of well being. And I will never, ever take it for granted.

To support mental health awareness I have made a promise to myself to ask for help when I need it. You can make a promise too.

Capture

Take a moment to think about your own needs and share your pledge to encourage others to do the same.

Your pledge will help achieve the aims of this year’s World Mental Health Day – to encourage people to seek help, reduce the stigma and foster connectivity through communities.

Thanks, Kirsty x

1. Rae Hilhorst says:

I am glad the stigma of having a mental health problem is steadily dissolving x
    Rae Hilhorst recently posted..Funerals Celebration and Sorrow

2. Lydia C Lee says:

Good post. I like the simplicity of the bit where you explain why you never hid it, the spacing and lay out is powerful.
    And glad you are in a good place! 🙂

3. Sarah Mac says:

It’s so important to keep talking, to keep sharing and to keep asking for and offering help. Great post.
    Sarah Mac recently posted..Fluff And Crumbs From My Brain

4. I’m also someone who needs to work hard to manage anxiety and depression too, so thank you for sharing. Fortunately I have managed to largely live with it through a combination of diet, cognitive behavioural techniques and others things I’ve learned.

5. I’m so glad you’re in a good place right now! I’m with you, we have nothing to hide 🙂
    Janet @ Middle Aged Mama recently posted..When did you first become Fashion-Conscious?

6. Wilma says:

Thanks for sharing your story – Ithink that is really important not only to be able to share, but to have someone to share with.
    Wilma recently posted..Coastal Journey : Arty Places#14

7. Annaleis says:

I have been focusing on things in the last year that help me maintain my ‘sanity’. Mainly time out and time with my family that doesn’t include cooking and cleaning. Love the idea of the pledge.
    Annaleis recently posted..Little Live Pets Butterfly

8. ann says:

Love your honesty.
    I also love hearing what a positive place you are in right now.
    ann recently posted..Things I Know #28- A quickie!!

9. I battle most days not to lose my shiz and thanks for this honest post. Love this post, and you!
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..I think I saved a life that I shouldn’t have.

10. Tegan says:

I’m so glad that working from home has been so good for you and your mental health. I hope that our kids will be able to look back, from a time where there is no stigma and wonder what the hell took us so long.
    Tegan recently posted..Does blogging glorify mental illness?

11. I am so glad to read that you’re in a good place right now. It’s the best feeling, isn’t it. I too have had my fair share of anxiety and depression, PND was the worst and it upsets me to think about how much valuable time and memories I lost of my sons early days because I was battling this horrid thing and wasn’t properly diagnosed until he was 19 months. I too am thankful for getting past it and feeling as good as I do now and achieving things I never thought I would. The blogging community has been one great support network for it. xx
    Eva @ The Multitasking Mummy recently posted..Macaroni Cheese Bake with Kransky Sausage + Oliving by Hans Giveaway

12. What a lovely promise to yourself! I am also thankful that your well-being is in a good place.

I also have had depression and anxiety on and off since puberty. I was only told of this six months ago though. I am simply joining the dots back. It is a shame that it is such an on and off problem. I don’t know if this is something I will always have to manage or experience. I am hopeful that my current efforts into my wellbeing will mean that I can avoid my lows. Still we’ll see.

Thank you for linking this up to #thankfulthursday xS
    Sarah from Creating Contentment recently posted..weekend reading: the homemade beauty edition

13. Lyall says:

I also have suffered all my life from depression. I’m proud to talk about it with anyone. I figure the more it is talked about the better.

14. Grace says:

A very important promise, Kirsty. I think that if you don’t ask for help and just suck it up by yourself, it can’t be good thing (despite the fact that for so long, I thought it was!)
    Grace recently posted..FYBF – The What Champions Eat Edition

15. What a great post and I’m genuinely so pleased for you – it feels like we’re friends, even though not IRL but I’ve been privy to a lot of your heartbreak and you’ll overcome so much! Go girl – and here’s to 2015 being YOUR year! x
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..Hey parenting ‘experts’ – stop labelling us! Laugh Link

16. Lisa Wood says:

Its so very good to hear that you are thankful and happy….I too suffer from depression on and off and its good to know that I am not alone in the world of many good days/and many not so good days 🙂
    thanks for sharing.
    Lisa Wood recently posted..Cowra Japanese Gardens

17. John says:

It is important to keep our mental health good always.Clear, reliable, practical information on mental health issues is vital.
    John recently posted..What is artificial selection?