I Must Confess…what I’m reading right now

This week I’m so very glad we have reached the end of school term and have a couple of weeks to rest and recover and prepare for the next term.

As I’m not taking much leave these holidays I’m just thankful for not having to make lunches or iron or ferry the children all over town for two glorious weeks.

While I’ll be working most of the time I am looking forward to evenings free of chores and the odd day where we can do something fun as a family.

I’m also hoping to get back into reading while the opportunity to have a little more time to relax presents itself. Hence my very self-serving prompt for this week.

What are you reading-

I have been a little lost since I finished the Hunger Games trilogy a few weeks back. It sucked me in and it’s been a long time since I’ve read a decent quality novel.

2014-06-29 16.14.31

Possibly, because most of my normal fare resembles this, which has been sitting on my bedside table, unread, for the last month:

2014-06-29 16.16.57

The classy handwritten pricetag on this book pretty much reflects it’s quality (or lack thereof…)

If you have any tips for a new series to try, let me know. I normally prefer lighter fare and a bit of romance but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Hunger Games given it’s not in my normal genre of choice.

It’s given me hope that my tastes have finally matured so any tips you can give me, will be more than welcome!

Because I haven’t been able to pick up another novel lately, I’ve turned to non-fiction and have a few travel books to read right now:

2014-06-29 16.17.45

Decisions, decisions….

I’ve also been reading and studying these:

2014-06-29 16.13.48

Big map of the US of A…

2014-06-29 16.11.21

and a big map of the home of Eurovision!

We are planning on a big overseas adventure next year which will nicely coincide with my 40th – I personally couldn’t ask for a better way to reluctantly accept welcome the onset of middle age!

It’s a toss up between the US and Europe at the moment – ideally we’d do both but I’m not sure whether the budget will stretch that far. Either way, the promise of a dream holiday and the fun of planning another family get-away has left me giddy.

What are you reading right now? And do you have any tips for me on what to read next or where we should go on our family sabbatical next year?

The Rules…

I Must Confess

– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!

Next week’s prompt – what would be the hardest thing for you to give up?

1. Lydia C. Lee says:

I am languishing in an Anne holt book for bookclub (with Cold Comfort Farm ready for the next bookclub if I’m ever able to finish this book) and I also have a guide book to start planning with…I’m struggling to concentrate on anything at the moment!!
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..I suck at…

2. Michelle V says:

I can recommend the Lindsey Kelk “I Heart” series. There are 6 books in the series. The books have a slight ‘sex and the city’ feel to them, but are witty, funny, and just great.
    The first book is “I heart New York”. It follows Angela Clark fleeing her cheating fiancee and jumping on the next flight to New York.
    What follows is a lot of fun, friendships and just awesome reading.
    I read the 6 books within a couple of weeks as I just really enjoyed Lindsey’s writing style.
    I am currently reading the Sylvia Day series, which is similar to 50 shades of grey but with a much better storyline. I disliked the 50 shades of grey series, but I am up to the second book of this series and thoroughly enjoying it.

Michelle, thanks for those suggestions. The I Heart series sounds like it might be my cup of tea. I do like my books to be light and frothy!

3. Francesca says:

I’m biased, but I will suggest my book to you: Returning. You can read the blurb at my website http://www.francescasuters.weebly.com It’s not a series yet, but I’m working on the sequel 🙂

I just finished reading A Household Guide to Dying by Debra Adelaide for bookclub – a tearjerker but I loved it.

How exciting for you about your trip! I hope you soak up all the excitement in planning it!
    Francesca recently posted..Re-think, Re-assess, Re-align

How exciting about your overseas trip!! I’m not sure what books to recommend as I mostly read the ‘chick lit’ variety myself these days. I haven’t even read Hunger Games or Harry Potter! I’m tragic.
    Ness recently posted..Seven Signs That You Seriously Suck At Packing

You’re not tragic Ness – I am for re-reading books over and over again instead of busting out and finding new ones to read 😉

5. I’m a huge reader!!! At the moment though I’m reading the cookbook that came with our new Tefal ActiFry airfryer, it makes my mouth water …
    Janet @ Middle Aged Mama recently posted..Why I’m glad a Tefal ActiFry Airfryer has joined our family!

6. Mystery Case says:

I’m going to start reviewing books on the blog. Possibly a once a month thing, just so I have an excuse to find time to pick up a book.

We have one more week until school holidays and I can’t wait. I’m also looking forward to Emma Approved returning to the web, I believe that should be happening sometime soon. I believe I have you to thank for getting me hooked on this series.
    Mystery Case recently posted..A Mystery Case Confession | Spam, spam give me the HAM

I’ll have to check out Emma Approved again as well – it should be back now – off to youtube I go!

7. I’m reading an Agatha Christie at the moment … a good ‘Who Dunnit’ always helps me to unwind, believe it or not! How exciting about your big family trip next year! The Atlas has always been my favourite book of all time; I plan imaginary journies in my head even now 🙂
    Lizzy – Muddle-Headed Mamma recently posted..Everybody Loves a Poo Story

I have been utterly fascinated by our maps – I never tire of discovering where countries really are. For instance, I didn’t know that Russia had territory on the other side of Poland – a little isolated outpost of Mother Russia – who knew?

8. I’m not reading anything at the moment except blogs. The last books I properly read were the twilight books. I like the idea of the hunger games though, might have to go find them.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted..Play and learn with playgro

The Hunger Games are great – I can totally recommend them. My main reading is websites and blogs but I need to switch off the computer and have some online downtime – hence my search for another good book to sink my teeth into!

9. How awesome to be thinking about an overseas holiday and a big one at that!!!! I’m shocking at reading, I really need to find a way to make me read because when I do I unwind and relax! Enjoy the school holidays x
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..Five things you MUST have in your glove box! – Laugh Linkup

Thanks Em. I have a day off with the kids tomorrow and looking forward to spending a full day with them and with Nathan – just have to decide what we’ll do with them before I head off to Peppa Pig with Delilah in the afternoon!

10. Tegan says:

Oh and overseas trip, how exciting! I’ve been powering through books lately and only recently read the Hunger Games Trilogy too. Apparently the Divergent (I think that’s what it is called) series is pretty similar to Hunger Games. I really loved The Mortal Instruments series (vampires, warlocks, werewolves, faeries and the people who protect the world) and am reading another series by the same author called the Infernal Devices.
    Tegan recently posted..Musings Reads: June

I was interested in how you described the Mortal Instruments series and I have been meaning to check out Divergent too. Just need a few more hours in my day… 😉

11. maša says:

I loved Hunger Games! Maybe you would like Divergent by Veronica Roth.
    maša recently posted..Day 26: The Bookworm Bookmark

I have been considering Divergent as it has been compared to the Hunger Games and has a movie adaptation too. Thanks for the tip Masa!

12. I’m currently catching up on my weekend blog reading 😉 But I did pick up an interesting dialogue on women in Australian literature at the library today which I’m looking forward to reading…
    Emma Fahy Davis recently posted..Five Reasons Why I Don’t Hate School Holidays

I need to catch up on my blog reading too – so much awesomeness out there, so little time… Enjoy your book, my friend x

I think reading is such a personal choice that I wouldn’t dare recommend something to anyone unless I was sure that they would love it! My best friend and I have such a similar taste in books that I LOVE swapping books with her. So my advice would be to find someone close to you who knows you really really well and get them to give you their favourite book!
    And how exciting that you are reading travel guides and maps as well! SO much fun organising a trip! 🙂
    Zita recently posted..to check out what I’m reading!

That is excellent advice Zita – so glad you have someone you can share your reading interests with. And yes, it is exciting times here with the travel planning, but to be honest we are overwhelmed with all the choice at the moment!

14. Paula J says:

I used to read a lot, but these days I just don’t have the time. When I crawl into bed at night it would be my only chance, but I fall asleep immediately. I even have “Fault in Our Star’s” sitting beside my bed by have yet to pick it up 🙁
    Paula J recently posted..NO RULES Weekend Blog Party #91!

I’m pretty much the same as you – little time to read and then you fall in bed exhausted. BTW you know that book will just lead to tears Paula – that’s why you haven’t picked it up yet!

1. January 19, 2015

[…] a sucker for historical romance (that confession is nothing new) and I particularly like those where you get a feel for the hero’s point of view as well […]