So ready for the holidays!

Thank goodness it’s only one more week before the NSW school holidays. After a huge 11 week term, I swear holidays can’t come soon enough for us.

In between birthday parties, school, appointments, after school activities, hospital visits, work and all the vagaries of life, we are literally exhausted.

My mantra for the coming week shall be “just a few more days”.

This week, for instance, started off with Gilbert’s 10th birthday and birthday party. He had a ball and declared it the best day ever.

Despite having plans to present a beautifully crafted cake (Gilbert wanted a rocket cake to go with his space party theme), I forgot to order it in time and although I briefly considered having a go at making one myself, I settled for the best and easiest option at my disposal:

I then finally returned to work after three weeks away. As I shared yesterday, everyone has been lovely and supportive there and it looks like I will be able to have a far better work/life balance in future.

That improved work/life balance has already been tested with Gilbert falling ill with the URTI that hit me last week. I had to be home with him on Wednesday and then, after encouraging him to return to school yesterday, I got a call to come and collect him mid-morning.

I’m hoping to have a clear run at the office today…

Thankfully most of our after school activities have already finished for the term as the last week of school features an Easter hat parade and an athletics carnival. We also have an OT appointment and a photo shoot to fit in.

Luckily we have secured a well-earned mini-holiday to get us in the holiday mood. I can’t wait to get away from it all for a few days and just enjoy a slower pace with my family.

If I’ve learned anything from my recent health scare, it’s the fact you can’t put a price on precious family time. You also can’t put a price on your own health and well-being. It’s time I really, really accepted what happened and acknowledge that I cannot be the same person I was before.

I am not superwoman. I am not indestructible.

I need to take stock, slow down and live a lot more.

In that context, yes, the holidays cannot come fast enough for me this term!

Are you burnt out already? Looking forward to some time away from the daily grind?

Linking with Grace for FYBF and Ann who is the new host of Things I Know!

1. The end of term is always stressful with everyone tired and cranky. Wishing you a lovely break and holiday Kirsty.
    Pinky Poinker recently posted..Complaining… How Can I Stop?

2. Lydia C. Lee says:

Bring it on, I say….
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Be the change you want to see in the world

3. Oh well done on making it through Kirsty! Enjoy your break, certainly sounds like you are ready for some relaxing times with the family. Me too!
    Martine@themodernparent recently posted..Confide, Whisper and Yik Yak: should we fear online anonymity?

4. Me says:

Enjoy the holidays when they arrive next week and YAY for a mini holiday – definitely better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick !!!!! LOL
    Have a wonderful weekend and take care of yourself !
    Me
    Me recently posted..Thankful Thursday

5. I’m trying to organise a night away with my girlfriends. I need a good giggle x
    Cybele @ BlahBlah recently posted..Easy bathroom updates

6. Grace says:

Oh wow, Kirsty! What a ride you’ve had. No wonder you’re dying to go on holidays!
    I was just saying the other day how burnt out I feel. I’m looking forward to Easter. Good time to slow things down.
    Grace recently posted..FYBF – The “For Every” Edition

7. Bec says:

We are on holidays as of now and I am looking forward to it! My two eldest kids started at a new school this year and so it has been a roller coaster of emotions this term. I am proud of them they have both done really well with the transition but they deserve a well earned break. Enjoy your well earned break with your family too 🙂
    Bec recently posted..Intimate and Indispensable The Art Assignment #3

8. I’m not looking forward to the holidays as much as I usually would, only because we are in a new town and school is the one place people talk to me, since I haven’t really made any friends of my own.
    But I do appreciate the slower pace of holidays. Nothing quite like it.
    EssentiallyJess recently posted..Printing with Pringo. Review and Giveaway

9. ann says:

Thank you so much for linking up!!
    I am struggling with school and after school activities and I only have 1 doing things. Hats off to you for doing the massive juggle!!
    Enjoy your mini break!!
    ann recently posted..Things I Know #1 Welcome to your new home #TIK!!

10. Nathan says:

Although you didn’t offer a beautifully crafted rocket-inspired cake, that crowd of 10-year olds didn’t notice. They practically inhaled the cake, lollies, chips, party pies and everything else put out for them!
    Nathan recently posted..Wil Wheaton Talks About Bullying

11. I’m so excited, we’ve started and it means no rushing out the door, no lunches to be made, no stress, although I do still have lots on but nice for my eldest. Enjoy the break and I hope being back at work has been okay this week?!
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..A Laugh Link is starting Mondays – so get your funny on!