Memes, glorious memes!

I LOVE a good meme. I also love witty Twitter banter.

In the past I have been amused by the furore surrounding Click Frenzy and also the fallout of the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd leadership battle. Some people out there are outright geniuses.

It’s no surprise then that I got a LOT of amusement out of Wednesday’s revelations about NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell, a forgotten bottle of 1959 Penfold Grange and questioning by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC). All leading to a quick capitulation and his subsequent resignation as Premier of NSW.

If you not familiar with the tale, it goes a little something like this. ICAC is investigating the dealings of Australian Water Holdings. One of the directors gave Mr O’Farrell a $3000 bottle of Penfolds Grange on his election win in 2011. Mr O’Farrell failed to disclose this gift and when questioned at ICAC categorically denied ever receiving it.

Soon after, a handwritten thank you note for the wine was tendered to ICAC, in Mr O’Farrell’s own hand. Although he still maintains he doesn’t remember receiving it, he was forced to resign his position as it all looks a little wrong. Plus, there’s the tiny little matter where he lied (whether intentionally or not) to ICAC.

All a little embarrassing for the man who vowed to clean up NSW politics.

I never minded Barry. I don’t bat for his team politically but he is a big Wests Tigers fan so he can’t be all that bad. At least he never gave me cause to yell obscenities or want to stab my eyes out like certain other politicians…

You can find some articles on the rise of the #grangegate memes here and here but I have included some of my personal favourites below:

Barry O'Farrell Meme 1

Headlines BOF

Barry O'Farrell Meme 2

Well that escalated quickly

Campbell NewmanNandos

That went well

Penfolds

I just wish I was smart enough to come up with my own…

Do you appreciate a good meme?

Linking up with Grace for FYBF and Ann for Things I Know.

1. How quickly those meme are created. So funny… especially the last one. Whoever runs the Nandos publicity campaign is a go-getter that for sure.
    Pinky Poinker recently posted..O- is for One Day I Sniffed Cheese!

2. Awesome! Love a good Ron Burgandy meme! haha
    Deb – An Inspirational Journey recently posted..Struggle & Triumph.

3. I love me a good meme!! There’s some very clever people around. I follow a LOT of Aussie comedians on Twitter, so these days I don’t read the news headlines, I wait for people like Wil Anderson to tweet instead!

4. JM Peace says:

Ah, politicians, always good for a laugh… not sure what else they are good for… enjoyed your post.
    JM Peace recently posted..Confessing to Police

I’m afraid politicians are not good for much else, but I’ll take a laugh from them, at least that’s something!

5. I’m loving all of the ones you’ve listed above. I wish I was clever enough to think of one too! The case of wine at the end is my fave one.
    Bec @ The Plumbette recently posted..WAR method for finding a plumber

Oh I love me a good meme and wish I had the wit and tech skills to come up with one that went viral!!! I love that last one inparticular!!
    Zita recently posted..for P

7. Vanessa says:

I love a good meme! I obviously don’t support corruption in politics but the thought of quitting a job over a bottle of wine still makes me giggle.
    Vanessa recently posted..Brilliance

I feel sorry for Barry, in a way. He was an inoffensive Premier who didn’t really deserve to be ousted over a bottle of wine. There’s much worse corruption around which I suspect is yet to come to light, on both sides of politics…

8. ann says:

Love all of these!! What a debacle over a bottle of wine!!
    Thanks for linking up, hope you are feeling better now!!
    ann recently posted..Things I Know #3- school holidays week 1

Thanks Ann. I am finally starting to feel better. Off to work again tomorrow so we’ll see if I can handle a huge 3 day week (thank goodness for public holidays!)

9. Alicia says:

Love a good meme. Thanks for sharing these Kirsty. Good value 🙂
    Alicia recently posted..Apple and roasted quince cake

Hilarious Kirsty! Thanks for the giggles. I love a good meme but I’m not good at making them up either.
    Ness recently posted..Goodbye Bogan Blog

11. anon says:

According to an internet source back in June 2013 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=679152868766554&set=vb.416391641780529) Barry O’Farrell was known as Barry “Guarantee” O’Forgetfull for his guarantee to be forgetful.

12. Rhianna says:

They are classic! I wish I was funny enough to come up with one of my own as well. Politics can be such a sad state of affairs sometimes can’t it?
    Rhianna recently posted..Things I Know About Easter

The only good thing about politics is that we can laugh at all the absolute silliness and ridiculousness of it all. Honestly, who would put themselves out there to be a politician? I couldn’t think of anything worse!

13. I love memes!! The creators are not only extremely quick witted but so freakin funny.
    Kell – Mad Mummas recently posted..Chicken and Rice Stuffed Vegetables – A healthy option + GIVEAWAY

14. Alison says:

this had me in stitches as did the United Airways conundrum. Genius people out there. Genius x
    Alison recently posted..Defining your personality – how not to do it.

I know – these are gold. I LOVE a good meme and relish every time something like this happens to bring out these gems. Thanks for hosting this week!

15. Mystery Case says:

I just don’t get why he had to resign over one bottle of wine but then again, I’m only catching the memes on this and not the real news. 🙂
    Mystery Case recently posted..A Mystery Case Confession | Line Dancing around Niches

It was less about the wine and more about the perception of corruption that accompanied it’s bestowal and the fact O’Farrell failed to declare it at the time. There’s also the fact that he denied ever receiving the wine at ICAC when it was later found that he did. Even if it was an innocent oversight, he didn’t have much choice but to resign. It’s all rather sad, really but shows how muddy the lobbying waters are, in NSW at least.

16. Ha ha love it Kirst! These are great and I’m a sucker for a funny meme! Some people have the sharpest brains right? I hope school holidays going great for you guys xx
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..Never make a promise you can’t keep.

Thanks Em. School holidays are going well – it helps when you divvy up the kids so you can have a little rest from the onslaught of all three at once!!!

17. These are all absolute gold Kirsty, GOLD! I shuld have included some of them in my post, although they may not have been made as I wrote it as soon as I heard the news in the afternoon!
    Kylie Purtell recently posted..And the Tosser Trophy goes to…

18. Very funny. I wish I knew how to make them. Any ideas on how to do this?
    Mark @ fullhalfglass.com recently posted..What Disney Has Taught Me About Stereotyping Women