I Must Confess…I’m slow on the uptake
Hello again! Another week, another Monday, another confession. Thank goodness it never gets old…for me anyway! 😉
Can I just take a moment to thank the 20 people who linked up last week. 20! It was wonderful to see some newbies as well as the amazing regulars who continue to come by and cleanse their souls for the week ahead. I love you all!
This week’s prompt was inspired by a realisation from last weekend. I sat down on Saturday evening, feeling rather uninspired, and stumbled upon Hairspray which was on the TV for the umpteenth time. I was going to click away like I normally do but for some reason I didn’t and I got sucked into watching it.
I was so glad I did. What an amazing movie. Why hadn’t I seen it before?
Buoyed by my “new to me but old to everyone else” discovery, I was going to follow up with Dirty Dancing which came on afterwards. I am ashamed to confess, I have never seen it either! I was going to try and stay up to rectify that but as I was absolutely stuffed after Gilbert’s birthday party, I gave into my fatigue and went to bed instead.
So I still haven’t seen Dirty Dancing.
I came clean about this on social media and most people were incredulous. I mean it is one of THE defining movies of my generation (those generation Xers around the *cough* 40 mark). I then started to ponder all those other movies, TV shows and books that I have never seen nor read but would have been expected to.
I came up with the following list (and accompanying explanations!):
- Dirty Dancing (I know this will be sacrilege but Patrick Swayze never did it for me, personally. Also, I have no interest in watching people gyrate against each other)
- Schindlers List (not interested in serious movies where atrocities are committed and people die, even if it recounts an inspiring war story)
- Twilight (absolutely zero interest in vampires nor in Robert Pattinson. Besides, Kristen Stewart annoys me with her inability to smile and continual scowl)
- Saving Private Ryan (I went to the drive-in while in the early stages of courtship with Nathan but fell asleep not long into proceedings. I remember waking up as we were leaving and asking “did they save him?” Yes, I was such a catch!)
- Boogie Nights/Magic Mike (yep, never seen them, don’t particularly want to, despite the man candy )
- Pitch Perfect (I’ve heard a lot of good things about this movie but I just haven’t had the energy or motivation to watch it)
- Breaking Bad (I know it got rave reviews but not my cup of tea)
- The Walking Dead (too much blood and gore and zombies don’t interest me)
- Game of Thrones (again, I know it is VERY popular but all that graphic sex and violence is not for me)
- The Hunger Games (I’ve seen the movies but have little motivation to read the books)
- Fifty Shades of Grey (Just not interested in any way, shape or form)
- The latest Bridget Jones’ Diary (the first book was sublime, the second great but I think Bridget has had her day)
There are probably lots of other examples I could name but that should give you an idea of how behind the times I am.
What popular movies, TV shows or books have you failed to see or read?
As usual, link up your confession, visit the other confessors and share the comment love!
– I Must Confess is a link up that runs every Monday and remains live for the whole week.
– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.
– Feel free to go with the prompt for the week or add your own confession, whatever suits.
– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!
– We’re always open to suggestions for the weekly prompt!
Next week’s prompt – link up an unloved post, one that didn’t receive any comment love the first time around – we’ll do our best to sort that out!
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.