Has it REALLY been ten years…

Since I first met you?

A decade…

Since my world changed forever?

Ten years ago…

• John Howard was Prime Minister
  • Ian Thorpe was in the headlines for being disqualified from the Olympic trials
  • Jetstar was launched
  • Jennifer Hawkins won Miss Universe
  • Mary Donaldson became Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
  • OutKast’s “Hey Ya!”, Shannon Noll’s “What About Me?” and Britney Spear’s “Toxic” ruled the charts
  • Burke’s Backyard ended it’s long run while Peppa Pig debuted in Australia

…and a naive pair of expectant parents welcomed you into the world after an eventful labour and delivery.

2014-03-27 22.52.13

Sorry for poor quality photo of a photo!

To my big boy, Gilbert,

HAPPY TENTH BIRTHDAY!!!!!

You are the most interesting, entertaining, infuriating, intelligent and inquisitive boy I have ever met. You forever amaze me with the force of your determination as well as the force of your personality.

I am grateful every day for having you in my life and for the privilege of being your mother.

I love you to bits. Never ever forget that x

May your next decade be even more amazing than the last!

Celebrating this rather big milestone by linking up with Grace for FYBF!

1. Nathan says:

Hey, I remember that time – I had just finished Uni (finally – it only took 8 years!), we were stilling living in our first home (wasn’t that little unit great?) and that little fella changed our world. Far-out there have been some rough time, with the albinism and then autism diagnosis, the meltdowns and just bringing up a kid, but I wouldn’t give up one of those memories. Ten years ago we stopped being a couple and became a family. It has been awesome. Happy birthday, my boy!
    Nathan recently posted..5 HTML Tips for Bloggers (& a Super 6th Tip!)

That is so very true – he has most definitely changed our lives for the better. So happy he enjoyed his birthday and that we had the privilege to be there with him!

2. Emily says:

Adorable! Happy tenth birthday to the little guy x
    Emily recently posted..Children’s book review – March

We must have been up the duffian at the same time. I had my Mr 10 in March 2004 as well. Now that I read your list I do vividly remember Britney Spear’s Toxic being on the radio ALL THE TIME.

A very happy birthday to Gilbert! Love the photo. xo
    Ness recently posted..Hospital Tales

4. A lovely sensitive post. Your love oozes from your words
    Mark @ fullhalfglass.com recently posted..Nurse Advocacy – Is It More Bark Then Bite?

5. Me says:

Happy 10th birthday Gilbert ! No matter how old your children are, they will always be your baby (I speak from experience and I am turning 49 this year !!!!)
    What a wonderful family you have created – you should be so proud of yourselves !
    Have the best weekend !
    Me
    Me recently posted..I Have Decided

Thanks so much – we are very proud of each and every one of them but considering everything he faces I do have a special soft spot for my boy!

6. Lydia C. Lee says:

That’s lovely – and happy birthday….enjoy the day!
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Conversations with Expectations

7. Maxabella says:

Happy birthday to your double-digit boy. A decade of parenting – omg, can you believe it? In May it will be the same for us and I just can’t get over it! x

I know – a decade! Feeling slightly older now after realising that but I can’t believe how far we have all come in that time. Hope your son’s birthday is totally awesome too!

8. Happy birthday to Gilbert, 10 is a big one!
    This is a lovely birthday message to your little guy Kirsty, he’s one lucky possum. x
    Lisa@RandomActsOfZen recently posted..Random Zen Ten. April

9. Awww, what a lovely post! Happy 10th birthday to your darling boy!
    kaz @ melting moments recently posted..Weekly Wrap Up – Things I Forgot About Newborns

10. Robyn says:

Aw congratulations. Double figures!!! Happy Birthday Gilbert- hope you all have a wonderful weekend celebrating 🙂

11. Kathy says:

Lovely post – and it is amazing to think of how much happens in 10 years (we have a 10, almost 11 year old, who we met 10 years ago in August when we adopted her). To think Peppa Pig has taken over the world since then!
    Kathy recently posted..Perfect expectations

12. Tegan says:

Happy Birthday to Gilbert! March really seems to be a busy month for birthdays. I think just in my FB friends there has only been a couple of days with no birthdays!
    Tegan recently posted..5 Simple Tips for Better Sleep

I have quite a few friends with kids’ birthdays in March too – not sure what we were all doing 9 months beforehand… 😉

13. Wow I didn’t realise all hose things were 10 years ago! Happy birthday to you Gilbert! 🙂
    Lucy @ Bake Play Smile recently posted..Fruit Loaf

A beautiful post Kirsty! Hope he had a wonderful day!
    Zita recently posted..for my blog list

15. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I love that Hey Ya song – one of my favs! Happy birthday to your boy and to you too lovely 🙂
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..Want to read about my ginormous bloggy plans for this year?

16. Sheridan says:

What an amazing time it is?! I always wondered why everyone crapped on about “Double Digits” when I turned 10. My step son turned 10 last year and my eyes were opened to how amazing it is and how quick that time goes by (and I’d only been on the scene for 4 of those years!).
    Happy Birthday Gilbert! I hope he had a great day 🙂
    Sheridan recently posted..Children’s Bedroom Reveal & March SYLO Link Up

10 is a big birthday. I remember I was given a black and white TV of my own when I was 10 – that was a huge deal in my house! Although he didn’t receive a TV he did get lots of lovely things which made him a very happy boy!

17. Robo says:

It’s just amazing how kids change our lives.
    Happy Birthday to Mr Gilbert! Double Digits is a huge deal.
    Robo recently posted..Excuse me, does my clothing offend you?

Thanks Robo – our life has never been the same but even with all the challenges I wouldn’t have it any other way!

18. Happy 10th Birthday to your beautiful boy – 10 is a big milestone! Hope he had a fabulous day x
    Sonia Life Love Hiccups recently posted..It was One Big Pile of Poo… My Morning That Is!

Thanks so much Sonia – he had an absolute blast. According to him it was his best day ever. Can’t ask for more than that!