A little while ago I shared some of Gilbert’s thoughts on the world.
It was quite enlightening.
He has been opening up more and more recently about all sorts of things so I thought it was time to shed some more light on Gilbert’s POV.
1. He is becoming more curious about his albinism. For instance he has asked me why he can’t see very well and was very interested in a pull apart model of an eye that he spotted at Vision Australia recently. He also keeps asking me why everyone else now has to wear sunscreen too even if they don’t have albinism.
2. To Gilbert, you have to prove yourself before he will thaw. He views strangers as potential “bad guys” and needs to get to know you and know you are not a “bad guy” before he will welcome you into his world. As a consequence he doesn’t take too kindly to strangers….
3. He doesn’t see the word freak in a negative context. He thinks it means you are different and isn’t everyone therefore a freak because everyone is different? The power of the word is lost on him which I am a tiny bit proud of but also quite worried about lest he offends others with his use of it.
4. Gilbert has recently discovered a love of watching tennis on TV and has come up with his own terminology. For instance, he calls games, “chips”, and encourages his player of choice to get as many chips as he can to reward his effort. He only likes watching men’s matches and picks his player of choice based on their name and whether he has ever come in contact with a Jo, Andy, Roger, Rafael or Tomas before and backs them accordingly!
5. Cold showers are the bomb. He wants one everyday as they help him relax and calm down.
6. He doesn’t see why he needs to go to school as he pretty much knows everything already. He does know more than your average 9 year old – he even taught his class about Roman numerals last year – however he certainly doesn’t “know it all!”
There are so many more things that I could share. So many more witticisms that Gilbert comes out with everyday. He is one cool dude – as I’ve said before he is the most interesting person that I know. But I will leave his wisdom for another post!
What have you learned from your kids lately?
Linking up with Jess for another round of IBOT!