A Thankful Update

First off, I’m thankful that I have been given an unexpected opportunity to blog today. Gilbert was in sore need of a mental health day and after trying to work on him this morning to get him off to school, I took a good look at him and realised that he really did need a day at home.

And to be completely honest, after the pace I’ve been living at lately, so did I.

So here we are. And here I am!

I’m thankful I can write a post today to support my blogging friend Rhianna and her Thankful Thursday linkup. I love being thankful and grateful for all that I have and this is a really fun prompt to join in with.

I’m thankful that my father is okay. He had a health scare this week that has landed him in hospital. He is still there and far from well but he is a lot better than he was earlier in the week – things are definitely looking more promising now.

I’m thankful that the hairdresser who finally gave Gilbert a long overdue haircut this week had already got around to his back and sides before discovering he had head lice. She had to leave the haircut there but at least I only got to mangle the top of his hair!

2013-11-07 13.17.05

2013-11-07 13.16.20

2013-11-07 13.16.33I think I’ll go back to my desk job!

I’m thankful that we now have an appointment with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) next week so we can start working on a plan for Gilbert to increase his independence and support him as he approaches his teenage years. I will let you know how we go.

I’m thankful to have the opportunity to be heading to my 20 year school reunion this weekend. I’m looking forward to catching up with long lost classmates and having a night out with my own tight-knit group of friends – it should be an awesome night!

I’m thankful for lots of other things too but I’d love to hear what you are thankful for today. Being thankful is nearly as good as making a confession and getting something off your chest – it truly is good for your soul.

Linking up with Rhianna for Thankful Thursday!

1. Me says:

YAY for a meantal health and catch up day – I think we all need some of those coming up to the end of the year. Maybe that is what I need !!!
    Have the best day and enjoy your time with Gilbert.
    Me
    Me recently posted..Thankful Thursday

2. Rhianna says:

We are having some mental health time today as well. Though it is also combined with the need get some over due homework out the way. I love you thankfulness, so glad that your dad is going well. There is not much worse than having your parents in hospital.

Sending lots of fairy wishes and butterfly kisses your way
    Rhianna recently posted..Thankful Thursday

We’ve been long overdue for a mental health day – I think both Gilbert and myself are much better for it! Considering the worry I have carried this week about my Dad (and the fatigue from lack of sleep, etc) it was just what I needed.

3. What great things to be thankful for and to keep it all in perspective. I hope you’re Dad stays well.
    #Thankful Thursday!
    Sarah@SnippetsandSpirits recently posted..Cranky Me

4. Glad you took a day when you needed it – I left my job with 33 sick days owing. How nuts was that??!! Take ’em all, I say. Nice list of thankfuls too.
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Confidence – women in the media

I like your thinking Lydia – you’re right, they are there for when you need them and I should use them if I feel the need x

5. Tegan says:

A nice mental health day sounds like exactly what you both needed, especially if it meant you got to blog!
    Tegan recently posted..Chicken Risotto: Pitango Review

6. Sometimes we need to realise a break is so very important for us all. Hope you have. Lt of laughs as you recall the special moments of your high school years at your reunion ๐Ÿ™‚
    Travelling Macs recently posted..All about 100 โ€“ a journey of a kind

7. Man isn’t headlice just the pits, I suspect Mr2 has it because I’ve seen him itching but he does have bad cradle cap – and that’s itchy when hot! I’m very glad to hear you took a mental health day, and fingers crossed you can get an action for the future years for Gilbert. Sounds like a positive step! I’m thankful that in 35 minutes my husband will be home to give me some help wrangling my very boisterous two year!!!!!
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..I have a dirty little secret โ€“ be warned neat freaks it ainโ€™t pretty!

I’ve battled headlice on Matilda for years now – she has thick hair and as soon as I get rid of them they somehow come back again – it’s doing my head in. So finding out that Gilbert has them too (mid hair-cut) that nearly did me in. I just hope his hair grows out soon at the front!

8. It sounds like a perfect time to take a mental health day, I think we can sometimes underestimate the importance taking some time off can have. Wonderful news about the appointment for you son. Enjoy your reunion xx
    Lauren @ Createbakemake recently posted..Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake

9. I tried cutting my son’s hair once. Needed an emergency hairdresser appointment afterwards. Never again.
    Hope you got the lice sorted! Bloody buggers of things those head lice …
    L
    Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit recently posted..Day 1496 – Microwave shopping

10. Mental health days are awesome! Head lice, not so much ๐Ÿ™ With five girls, three of whom have thick, woolly hair it’s a constant battle in our house too. In fact, I spent this arvo delousing them again. Sigh.
    Good luck with NDIA, you’ll have to keep us posted. They’re not rolling out in our area yet.
    Emma Fahy Davis recently posted..Why the Roast Busters are just the tip of the iceberg