Do I Really Have To?

I’m sure as you read this I’ll be dealing with all the fun* of getting three children and myself off to school, daycare and work after the lazy, indolent days of the school holidays. Whether we’ll be on time, with lunches packed, matching shoes on and neat hair, that remains to be seen…

*Just to make it clear there will be nothing fun about it!

Back to School ecard

image source

As usual, I’m dreading being tied down again to stifling routine. I hate being a slave to timetables and deadlines. I really detest the endless run around that characterises my life as a working parent.

I guess you could say that I’m REALLY not looking forward to living that life again for another ten weeks.ย And, not surprisingly, the kids are equally reluctant to return to the daily demands of real life too.

Back to work ecard

image source

I’m sure we’ll get back into the groove again quickly and next week I’ll be marvelling at how it seems we never had time off at all.

But for now, with the prospect of a hard day ahead of me trying to motivate the kids while I try to also motivate myself, I’m going to echo the question that Gilbert asked me ad nauseum yesterday. It really does get to the heart of the matter.

“Do I REALLY have to go back?”

ibotbutton

Letting loose with a whine today for IBOT. I promise I will be happier and less whingy tomorrow…pinky promise!

1. Lydia C. Lee says:

I hate the end of the holidays – and everything starts up again! Bleugh!
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Riddle me this (2)

2. yep, I am dreading the next 10 weeks also! But then 7 weeks of juggling work/vacation care/taking time off etc. Life is harder when they’re in school! I already had the “I have a bad cough, I can’t go to school today” conversation! 15 minutes til we leave, then thankfully I have today and tomorrow off (my regular RDOs) to just chill and psych myself up for the next 10 weeks! Hope this morning has gone smoother than you anticipated. xo
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Ocsober Update : Alcohol Free

• LOL aroha – i had one also telling me she was feeling sick – was “hot” and her tummy felt sick last night but felt cool to me. complained again today. i said try to go to school and i will send a note along for them to call me if you get worse – amazingly she was fine ; )
      Deb @ Home life simplified recently posted..Choosing to dream big

Gilbert tried that too – he sneezed twice and told me he had a cold so couldn’t go to school – was obviously the day for it!

3. Lisa says:

Kirsty, I am the same, I hate routines and structures at home (I get enough of that at work)yet my kids seem to function better when they know what is going on..When they were babies I didn’t need to be so structured, now they are toddler/school age I have to stop being so laid-back. Goodluck on your return to routine
    Lisa recently posted..Talkin on Tuesday: Q & A….

4. I’m the opposite after two weeks of holidays and juggling work/kids/fun/entertainment I’m well and truly ready to go back and the kids love routine. Must run in the family!
    JodiGibson (@JFGibsonWriter) recently posted..Ever felt cheated?

5. Rhianna says:

Oh I feel you, we went back yesterday, after only a week off. Today ended up being cancelled, no one could face the day. We were far to active during our break. Today we will rest and tomorrow will be faced with vigour. Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses to you lovely
    Rhianna recently posted..Things I know about being disorganised and power outages

6. We got an extra day’s reprieve here (Teacher Only Day, what is with that?)but it’ll be back to the grind here tomorrow. I have no idea why so many people whinge about school holidays, I’m loving them!
    Emma Fahy Davis recently posted..The moment that changed everything

7. ann says:

Total opposite here I am 100% looking forward to having my eldest go back to preschool tomorrow!! These holidays have really been boring and we have all driven each other nuts. Ask me in a month though I bet I have a different answer!!
    ann recently posted..The Best Laid Plans

8. It’s such a hard slog right? I only have one in school and two in daycare twice a week so one day I will be you and dreading it!!!!!! But you will get through it lovely, I believe we don’t get anything in life we aren’t able to cope with, well we might need help but we can do it!
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..A thanks to those who held my dad in their thoughts โ€“ and a warning to question EVERYTHING!

9. Kathy says:

The only consolation Kirsty is the short week – at least the new school term had the decency to give us four days instead of five in this first week to ease us back in – maybe?

10. hugs to you – as an introvert i always look forward to the school term starting again, but i can only imagine balancing in getting to an office.
    Deb @ Home life simplified recently posted..Choosing to dream big

It was better than expected yesterday and I am used to running around and balancing it all but I do enjoy those weeks where I can just BE! Enjoy your time and good luck with your new venture Deb – very, very exciting!

11. gawee says:

Kirsty I’ll kinda know how you feel next Monday when I head back to work after having this week off.

I’m privileged to have a fair idea of what both your home and work lives involve and have nothing but respect and admiration for you. Hang in there lovely, you are all kinds of awesome!

G. xx

PS, we should do lunch soon.
    gawee recently posted..Confessions & Choonz

Thanks G – it ended up being easier than expected but I’ve learned to lower my expectations to avoid disappointment!

Now, I have a bone to pick with you – where was my go-to computer guy when I logged in yesterday???? Lucky I didn’t have too many issues… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have a great week off – let’s do lunch sometime next week, talk to you when you get back!

12. There are few things in life as mean as getting back to reality after a holiday. There must be another way….
    Take Charge Now recently posted..Can you ZIP IT please?

13. Lani says:

I’m glad the days of school routines are not upon us yet. My three and a half year old adores preschool and asks to go everyday. I work from home and look after the baby before we both mosey down in the pram to the daycare. Bloody good life, I tell you. It won’t last for long ๐Ÿ™

Swinging by via IBOT ๐Ÿ™‚
    Lani recently posted..A special occasion wine

14. Karen says:

In some ways I look forward to the days of school to have a few hours too myself. But right now I’m loving not having anywhere to be and just taking the days as they come! x Karen #teamIBOT
    Karen recently posted..The problem with being Two