Belated Things I Know
I’m little late to the party this week but there are quite a few things I know this evening.
1. My iPhone is giving me grief as I try to upgrade it to the sexy looking iOS 7 software. The first attempted updated failed so I am now trying to troubleshoot my way through. Which has resulted in me having to restore the phone’s factory settings and start it all over again. It’s frustrating and painful – why didn’t it just work as it should have the first time around?
2. Three year olds and passport photos don’t mix. Mainly because three year olds don’t really get the concept of “sit still”, “look at the camera, but don’t smile”, and “don’t make a face”…. We made three separate failed attempts before the camera at our local post office literally died this afternoon. Clearly Delilah has a face that can break photographic equipment.
3. Come to think of it people with albinism and passport photos don’t mix either. Poor Gilbert couldn’t see the camera so he failed to look directly at it in his photo which may cause some issues for us with the passport office. We will have to submit a B11 form to prove that his inability to comply with the strictures of the passport photo requirements is due to a medical condition. Who knew it would be so hard…
4. I survived 3 days of solo parenting this week and I didn’t even complain once on social media – amazing. Yay me!
5. My big kids both received awards this week for resilience. Resilience! Proud.
6. I received my coeliac diagnosis and ventured out for my first official gluten-free meal. So far it hasn’t been too much of a hardship, although I have since discovered that my beloved hot chocolates may not be safe at every cafe. I will not be a happy camper if I can no longer indulge in the odd hot chocolate, I can tell you!
7. We received word this week that Gilbert did very well in NAPLAN earlier this year. It appears he may have even topped his class in literacy which is literally an amazing achievement. Very proud mama right here!
8. I’ve been sick with a virus for a week now and I’m into the annoying coughing phase. Every time I try to sleep all my body wants to do is spasm with coughing. Not the best way to get a good night’s rest in order to beat the virus. The irony does not escape me…
9. Delilah has officially graduated from wearing nappies at night. She has only had one accident during the last week – I can’t believe she is such a big girl now and that the baby days are now long gone. I’m silently grieving a little for the loss of the last symbol of babyhood. My baby is no baby no more.
10. The proprietors of our local cafe are just THE best souls. We have been going there most of the year on a Friday afternoon before speech therapy and they have seen the best and the worst of my kids. They have extended genuine kindness and have done everything they can to make us all welcome and comfortable. They keep aside a chocolate donut especially for Gilbert and treat each of the kids like royalty. Sometimes the kindness and understanding is overwhelming but I’m so grateful we have a safe place we can just BE.
What do you know this week? Link up with the wonderful Rhianna and share all the wonderful (or not so wonderful) things that you know right now!
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.