Update: The Organised Blogger

Back in January I decided to become a more organised blogger. It was a lofty ambition but I did come up with a fool-proof 5 step plan to follow. As it was fool-proof, I surely couldn’t lose…

Fool-Proof-Plan

image source

Six months on, I think it’s time to revisit my plan and see whether I have indeed become a more organised blogger. And, of course, check exactly how “fool-proof” my plan actually was!

So how have I fared?

1. Create a blogging schedule and stick to it. I think I’ve actually done fairly well with this one. I have consistently blogged on Sundays with my Musical Musings posts, Mondays with my I Must Confess linkup (come and join in if you haven’t already!), Tuesdays with the fantastic Jess for IBOT and, of course, flogging my blog on Fridays with the fabulous Grace and the lovely Miss Cinders! It’s a schedule I’ve been able to stick to and, more impoartantly, one that I enjoy sticking to. So I think I have totally nailed step one of the plan!

2. Pre-write and schedule more posts.  It’s taken me a while to work this one out but I’m finally getting the hang of writing posts whenever I get the opportunity. I usually write my posts on a Friday or Saturday night, whenever Nathan has friends over. I set up the laptop, grab a glass or two of wine and catch-up with House Rules (my guilty reality TV pleasure) while I write my posts for the week. It’s still not as easy as writing posts when inspiration strikes, but I’m certainly getting better at it.

3. Be more a more purposeful and less distracted blogger. I must admit this particular goal has not been helped by my recent addiction to Candy Crush Saga! But I have tried my best to be more a more purposeful blogger by trying to better utilise my blogging opportunities and avoiding the time-sucking vortex otherwise known as social media!

4. Set aside time for social media. I have tried to be more purposeful with social media and only getting on there when I have a reason to do so. This doesn’t mean that I have completely avoided distraction (yes, I did click to find out more about Kim and Kanye’s baby *hangs my head in shame*) but I have tried to be more purposeful when  I’m on there.

5. Write the posts that matter. I am proud that I have finally started writing a series of posts on demystifying albinism. I have also written a few updates on my struggles with anxiety and depression. These are the sorts of posts that I want to write. These are the posts that can help others, the posts that actually matter.

All in all, I think I actually have become a more organised blogger. I have started to better utilise my blogging time and I have begun to write more posts that matter. I am still consistently blogging and my stats are improving.

So, I think I can say that my attempt to be a more organised blogger has been an unqualified success!

How are you faring as a blogger? Do you feel organised or are you a more of a “fly by the seat of your pants” sort of blogger?

fybf

smom-things-i-know-meme

Linking up with Grace and her awesome Friday linkup, FYBF as well as Miss Cinders for her equally awesome Things I Know!

1. Me says:

I’d like to thing I am a really organised blogger but if I am honest I am actually a fly by the seat of my pants blogger.
    I have been trying to blog 3 x week – IBOT, Thankful Thursday and Things I Know Friday – when I can I like to link in with I Must Confess but, I must confess, that the weekends are not my best blogging time and Monday’s are generally quite busy for me so it doesn’t happen as often as I’d like 🙁
    I love your blog because of the realness of what you write – while I don’t have experience with albinism, I certainly do with depression and anxiety and, while I am not in those places right now, I can still identify with them.
    Have the BESTEST day !
    Me
    Me recently posted..Things I Know

Thanks so much for this Me – this feedback is so lovely to read. You made me all warm and fuzzy my friend!

2. Miss Cinders says:

I think you have nailed being a more organised blogger. I’ve noticed what you’ve been doing, and I reckon you’re right on schedule.

I wish I could be! I’m a sporadic blogger… which personally annoys me no end! I just can’t sit and write if inspiration isn’t there. And usually with great timing it hits when I’m falling asleep at night! lol

MC x
    #ThingsIKnow
    Miss Cinders recently posted..things i know #30

I have to laugh at the fact I wrote this post and then struggled to post the following week – irony, much????

3. Janet says:

You’re doing well! And… that is why I won’t even TRY Candy Crush Saga or any other games … I”m scared of falling into the black hole … LOL
    Janet recently posted..5 Things I Learned from my Shrink

4. Lisa says:

I’m a new blogger, so these were all great tips and ideas for me, as I’m currently trying to manage to organise some kind of schedule for myself, so thank you! P.S. You are so right, Candy Crush DOES NOT help!
    Lisa recently posted..Killing Everyone Softly With My Song

I really hope some of these tips can help Lisa, they have certainly helped me. BTW CCS is the devil…it really is!

5. Well done, Kirsty. Nothing like setting a goal and then getting there. You sound right on top of it. Being pretty new to this whole blogging caper I’m still trying to find my stride and work out how to effectively allocate time to writing. You’ve given me some good tips though, thank you 🙂
    Leanne Winter recently posted..Growing (up) Pains

No problem Leanne. It took me quite a while (2 years or so) to work this all out so hopefully you will find your rhythm a lot quicker than I did!

6. ann says:

I am very good at whipping up a post now in 20 minutes!! I wish I could be a little more organised, maybe if there is an extra hour or 2 added to the day it might happen!!
    ann recently posted..Things I Know- Not a bad week

Can I say I am the slowest blogger in the universe – part of my problem is how long it takes me to write. Definitely something I need to work on…

7. Francesca says:

I’m a “write when I feel like writing” blogger – except for thankful Thursday, I have to be organised for that. It suits me 🙂
    Francesca recently posted..Thankful Thursday: Reaction

8. Congrats & well done on being able to become a more organised blogger.
    That is just the kind of thing I want to do.
    Wondering if you could just jump into my brain and do the same thing for me .. please???
    MultiBlogging Mum recently posted..Things I Know #2

Be careful what you wish for – I might just get in your brain and transfer my Candy Crush Saga addiction to you Tammy! 🙂

9. Sounds like you’re totally kicking butt as an organised blogger. I have only been blogging for a month and a half, but I think I have been fairly organised to date. I have worked out a comms strategy and have my ever growing things to do list! I had never heard of your I must confess link up, so I’ll have to keep that in mind for the future. Is it every Monday?
    Renee at Mummy, Wife, Me recently posted..Sisters

Good on you for having a comms strategy already – as you can probably tell I am not quite that strategic when it comes to my blog! I Must Confess runs every Monday – it would be great to see you join in Renee!

10. I am totally not organised!!! I am not good at it! Something always happens, and I know I should be writing but I end up doing something else…. always things to work on 🙂
    Tahlia – the parenting files recently posted..Roasted eggplant with Tahini sauce

I’m not a naturally organised blogger and I’m still not perfect at it but I’m trying hard to get better. I would much rather just blog as I felt like it though…

A ‘fly by the seat of my pants’ girl here. Not just in blogging but in everything in life, I’m hopelessly disorganised. Sigh. I can blame Apergers, right? It’s my executive DISfunction. Yep. Must be. I’m not chronically lazy. No way.

You’re doing so well with your plan.Well done!
    Ness recently posted..Leaves On A Stream

I love your approach to life Ness – disorganised and flying by the seat of your pants is completely fine. Life is certainly never boring that way… 🙂

12. You sound very organised Kirsty – nice work! I’m still pretty new to all this but I am trying to get ahead of myself with planning recipes & time when I can take time to put a post together without a child attached to my leg or screaming for dinner while I am busy photographing it!! :). Some fantastic tips here to help me along the way! Thanks so much!
    Jodie@FreshHomeCook recently posted..Quick Recipes – Sneaky Vegetable Pasta Sauce

No problems Jodie – it just took me (cough cough) 2 years to work all this out. I’m a bit of a slow learner at this blogging caper! Hope it can help you in some small way!

13. Mystery Case says:

Just wondering if you have any time to come over and do a guest post at Mystery Case? Possibly one of our five in five posts!

Now what on earth am I confessing to this week?
    Mystery Case recently posted..Fashionably early this Friday

Sorry I haven’t supplied anything as yet Raych – were you going to send me an email? Is there something in particular you would like me to tackle?

14. Grace says:

Definitely kicking goals there, Kirsty! It makes blogging so much more enjoyable when there’s some structure to it.
    I try to be organised but lately, I’ve had other projects going on so it’s been more “fly by the seat of my pants”
    One good thing is that I’m never struggling for content! I remember in the early days I used to be!
    Grace recently posted..FYBF Featured Flogger – Kim from Spirited Mama

I must say I have never struggled for content – I struggle with the time to write rather than the inspiration. Not sure how I can overcome that one completely, though, although I am trying!

15. I remember when you write that post – and I was impressed and hoped to be able to do some of those things myself! As for Kim? I bagged her out last week but I think we all need a guilty outlet. As for CCS – it’s ridiculous right? Don’t forget to ask me for lives 🙂 xx
    Emily @ Have a laugh on me recently posted..A tirade targeting twats, gits and Kim Kardashian

16. Cassandra says:

After having blogged for so long, you would think that I would have some sort of plan, but I’m still pretty disorganised. I love being able to pre-write and schedule posts though, for weeks when I’m too sick to get to the computer it means that my poor little blog isn’t completely neglected. Although you’re right, it’s a bit hard coming up with the inspiration so to speak.
    Cassandra recently posted..Free Art Journalling and Mixed Media video resources

It can be hard to come up with inspiration when block-writing blog posts but I’m slowly getting better at it. I do wish I had the time to write whenever opportunity strikes though…it is so much easier that way!

17. Katyberry says:

So NOT organised! I try to scramble something together for IBOT and The Lounge. I quite like the way that The Lounge has a theme as a prompt, even though I usually twist it whichever way I feel like going.
    I am kind of naughty – I think at least one post a week is done at work. Mostly during lunch breaks, but with necessary tweaking and linking and tweeting often done on work time. Shhhh.

I really want to join in with The Lounge, it’s such a cool linkup but I do struggle in finding time each week. And you are naughty for blogging at work but I’m only saying that because I’m intensely jealous as I can’t!

18. JF Gibson says:

Yay for you! I’m in a good place with my blogging. I aim for 2-3 times a week and catching up on social media to keep connected.
    JF Gibson recently posted..When time flies

2-3 times a week is a good balance. I don’t always get 4 out but I do try to get at least 2 out a week – it can sometimes be a challenge though…

19. Emily says:

Hi – great article and I like the look of your blog. I must say the scheduling post function is SO handy. it means I can take time off on weekends sometimes without feeling pressured to get the next week’s posts done. But I must say I’m impressed with how many posts you’re managing to do. I have my work cut out just doing two per week.
    Emily recently posted..The Cooking Chronicles Part I

Thanks Emily. Learning how to write block posts and scheduling them has really helped me keep up with things this year – I would not be able to keep up otherwise!

20. Hah- we have linked the same sort of post for the Rewind… I must do a post like this to see where I am. Having a schedule really helps I think.

What’s this candy Crush Saga!?? I have been SO annoyed by all the adverts on Facebook that I refuse to try it… arrgghhh!!!
    Seana – Sydney, Kids, Food + Travel recently posted..Robertson Park Playground, Watson’s Bay

Don’t go there Seana – I kept seeing all the adverts and then tried it and got sucked in. It’s not good at all…keep refusing!

21. Maxabella says:

It’s so good that you set yourself a plan and are sticking so well to it. I must do the same! x

22. Toni says:

I try to be organised, but I write a lot better when inspiration strikes rather than trying to force it. Unfortunately inspiration usually comes when im trying to sleep or Im not near my phone or computer.
    Toni recently posted..Its almost the end – a letter to my daughter

Exactly – I share your pain Toni! I’m getting better at writing when I have the opportunity but it’s not as easy or as natural as just letting it all out when inspiration strikes!

23. Allison Tait says:

I am a completely disorganised blogger, so I take my hat off to you! Thanks for Rewinding.
    Allison Tait recently posted..Does anyone understand Linked In?