Why I Believe that Pinterest is the Work of the Devil!

I have to start this off by stating that I am not a big Pinterest user. I do  have an account and occasionally make an attempt to go there but I am by no means a daily pinner. Actually, I’m lucky to pin something once every few months – yes, I am that infrequent.

The reason for my Pinterest apathy? Part of it is because I do not need any further excuses to procrastinate or waste time in my already overloaded life. And let’s face it, Pinterest is the perfect place to do both of those things!

Every time I venture down that rabbit hole I’m sucked in for hours – I truly don’t have that sort of time anymore to play about with ideas that I will more than likely never bring to life.

But mainly, my Pinterest apathy is due to fact that I am not an innately crafty, arty or creative type person. Unless I have a reason to go trawling for inspiration to help me in my half-arsed attempts to be creative, I honestly see no point in cruising the boards. But that’s just me.

My husband, Nathan from Just Add Geek, uses Pinterest far more than I do and has amassed quite a few boards.  Just don’t follow his shipping container boards, okay? One of his dreams is to design and live in a shipping container house one day and he does not need any further encouragement in that endeavour. He already attracts new followers each day, as it is. Okay?

But I digress. I had a play on Pinterest again over the weekend as we are starting to plan Gilbert’s 9th birthday party. Can you believe that my baby boy will actually be 9 at the end of this month? It seems like yesterday that he was being cradled in our arms as a cone-headed, snowy-haired newborn…

Anyway, Gilbert is a Lego Ninjago fan and we have gone with a Ninjago theme for his upcoming party. Nathan has put together some awesome Ninjago inspired invitations (again his Adobe skills have come to the fore) and I have found some inspiration for food, decoration and activities for his party.

So check out some of the following pins that I discovered as part of my quest – they can all be found on my Ninjago Party Ideas board:

Ninjago Snacks

How hard can it be to separate M&Ms into primary colours? I can do that!

Ninjago Biscuits

Ninjago inspired biscuits – I might even be able to pull these off too!

Ninjago Jelly Bricks

Jelly into moulds might also be possible for a culinary-challenged person like myself…

Ninjago Brick Cakes

This might be asking a bit much of me but it would be awesome!

Ninjago Tornado Cake

Yeah, this is NEVER going to happen – but how phenomenally awesome is this cake?

Which brings me to the point of this post – why I believe that Pinterest is the work of the devil.

Pinterest sucks you in with the promise of success. You rarely see a crappy picture on Pinterest. It all looks so easy and inspiring and possible. It makes me want to TRY to be crafty and I am possibly the world’s least creative and arty person.

I know, deep down, that I will probably never bring any of this off. I have tried, and failed, before. You might find it handy to read this before you proceed any further. I am still deeply scarred, nearly 6 months on…

But I really do want to give Gilbert the party of his dreams. And I am willing to overcome my own shortcomings to do it. Even if it does involve me trying to cook and bake and create.

God help us all…

See? Pinterest certainly has a lot to answer for – it truly is the work of the devil!

ibotbutton

Sharing my grand plans as part of IBOT hosted by the newly minted 30-something Essentially Jess. Have an awesome Tuesday everyone!

1. I’m not on Pinterest – still struggling with Twitter (cos I’m old)But more guilt I don’t need, so Pinterest will be last on my list to get onto….though how cute are those lego cakes!!
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Flat

Stay away from it as long as you can – everything looks so good and doable. Before you know it, it sucks you in! Believe me…

2. Ha ha Kirst, I can barely keep up with all the other social media I’m attempting to juggle, although it does appear to have some great ideas and photos which I could borrow for inspiration 🙂 x
    Emily @ Have a laugh on me recently posted..I’m coming out of the closet to admit I can cook – seriously – check out these puppies!

As an inspiration board, Pinterest is great – it really is. But if you do not need any more time-wasting platforms, I’d steer clear for now!

3. I have to say I love me some Pinterest – mainly for menu planning. I can pin heaps of recipes, all in one place, then I don’t have to remember what cook book or magazine I saw it in!
    Amy@New Adventures recently posted..That Old Feeling

4. Rhianna says:

I am not much into the whole Pinterest thing either. Who has time to sit and dream of all the things they know they will never be able to do?
    Rhianna recently posted..How to make a ‘Pigs In Mud Cake’

Exactly – that’s why I don’t go on there very often. It makes me a little depressed to be honest – who really wants to be reminded of their failings in cooking, craft and photography??? 😉

5. Krystle says:

I get what you mean… but I still love pinterest. I have to say though the way I use it has changed. When I first started I pinned any random bits and pieces with no intention of ever recreating them. But now I’m a little more focused in my pinning, and I search for specific information more. Anyway, each to their own. I hope you’re able to deter the shipping container plans 🙂
    Krystle recently posted..You can call off the search party..

6. Bec says:

I don’t even get pinterest. I have an account but I don’t know how to pin things (except from within pinterest).
    I made that lego cake for my son’s birthday last year – whilst it didn’t come out looking like betty crocker’s – it was easy and my son loved it (he asked for a few different colours so I did some 2 blocks, some 4 and an 8). There is a video to watch here http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/building-blocks-cakes/ca36541e-624c-48af-ab78-68ef256e8903
    (and it took me about 3 times as long as they did too)
    Bec recently posted..List 8 – Reverse bucket list

Thanks so much for the link to that video Bec – I’m going to be in full planning mode this weekend. Wish me luck!

7. I am with you on the crafty gene missing. I wouldn’t even dream about creating half of the amazing stuff that is on Pinterest, so I look but do not pin.
    I do however like to pin the pictures as pictures – like a vision board or even just things I like. I have amazed myself at what inspires me. You would think at 42 I would know a bit more about myself, but it appears there is still plenty I have to learn about what goes on in my own mind!
    Take Charge Now recently posted..Weight loss, how I have sustained it

The images are fantastic and as a vision or inspiration board, Pinterest is great. I am planning to go on there again in a few weeks to start putting together some inspiration for decorating my new house. It’s time to get excited, rather then stressed about the whole thing!

8. Rachel says:

Oh God I will definitely promise NOT to like your man’s shipping container board!! I also have a man who is drawn to impractical ideas and I agree they don’t need any encouragement.

I do have a use for Pinterest though – I use it as a shopping substitute when I’m broke!! I go around pinning all sorts of gorgeous things I can’t afford to buy and it goes some way to scratching the shopping “itch” when I can’t burn up the credit cards in real life.
    Rachel recently posted..If you go down to the woods today…

Thanks for your support Rachel! And I love your idea for using Pinterest as a substitute for real shopping – what a fabulous idea!

9. It is certainly very “aspirational”, as they say!!! I do like looking at the pretty pictures but then ask myself honestly, “will you EVER make/do/decorate your room like that?” If the answer is no, I don’t pin 🙂 I like to live in reality. Now, onto living in a shipping container, my brother is currently planning the same home – using four of them. I think he needs to get onto Pinterest!
    Rachel @ The Kids Are All Right recently posted..BlossyBloom bras – because girls are perfect the way they are

I’m afraid your brother probably should go on there to see what others have done with shipping containers. It really is mind-blowing – just not what I personally dream about in a home!

10. Twitchy says:

Oh I agree with the devil part, but I am a sucker for incredible creative ideas- people’s ingenuity blows me away. Those Ninjago party ideas look glorious! I hope Gilbert is lucky enough to score at least a couple of them. #teamIBOT was here!
    Twitchy recently posted..Long Weekend Home in the Heat

I will do my best to deliver some of the simpler things for his party – thankfully I do know my limitations in the culinary, craft and art fields!!!

11. Eleise says:

I do love pinterest but I don’t go on there very much. It was perfect for planning my wedding and great for ideas like this for a party. But such a time waster.
    Eleise recently posted..Being a Blended Family can be Awesome!

I must admit I am a pinterest fan and have lost countless hours trolling around looking for ideas, but have also been sucked into believing everything I see on Pinterest and believing that I too can create a masterpiece! I tried to re-create a pinterest idea with my niece and nephew and failed miserably! Have you seen the pinterest fails pictures! SO funny, brings tears to your eyes!
    Zita recently posted..to check the bucket list…

I will have to seek out those Pinterest fail pictures Zita – I could do with a good laugh at the expense of others like myself!!!

13. Oh it should come with a warning; items made from pinterest are not as easy as they appear!!
    I’m not a huge pinterest fan (though I am slightly intrigued about Nathan’s shipping container idea)but I have used it a few times with varying degrees of success.
    EssentiallyJess recently posted..Turning Awesome

It definitely should come with a warning Jess! I may not get on there often but it inevitably sucks me in every single time…:)

14. Robomum says:

Oh lordy! I know someone who does way out kids parties and it always blows my mind. I see this on Pinterest too, matching to the enth degree.
    If I had the time or people power, I still don’t think I’d go there – my belief is that kids will have fun regardless of your ability to go all out, or not.
    I’m with you. I ‘use’ Pinterest when I’ve exhausted all other internet options and I’m bored… I prefer words to images.
    Robomum recently posted..The Biggest Treat

15. I think pinterest is great for exactly what you’ve used it for – party (or wedding or baby) planning. outside of that, I just don’t get it. I dont’ know what Ninjago is (some lego thing?) Lots of great ideas there. I guess one of these years I’m going to have to actually get creative and do something other than just have 10 friends at a play center!!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Teaching Tuesday

I have a feeling that you will be introduced to Lego Ninjago very soon with a boy in kindergarten Aroha! Ninjago is a Lego range based on ninja legend and was made into a TV show (which my kids love). It’s actually not too bad – I have enjoyed putting some of the range together myself (I love playing with Lego!)

16. Julie says:

Oh, I love pintrest – mostly because I’m not creative enough to come up with ideas on my own, but just creative enough to do some of them! Hope you can deliver even a slightly pintrest-motivated party for your son. I’m sure he’ll love it whatever you do!
    Julie recently posted..Putting first things first

Embarrassingly, I honestly have no idea of what Pinterest even is, and no desire to find out. Based on what you’ve said here, it’s not for me either. I’m not crafty AT ALL.
    Ness recently posted..I Must Confess: My Bucket List (And Fuck It List)

Pinterest is mainly for creative types Ness – I don’t even remember why I joined, I know I came to it very late. But it has been useful for inspiration, even if I rarely go there and have never been able to successfully pull any of it off!

18. Tegan says:

I get on twitter to look for comfort food recipes and cocktails. I can do both of those so those are my biggest boards lol.
    Tegan recently posted..Sanity Saviour

19. Rita says:

I’m not a big fan of Pinterest. I do have an account but there is only one sad board called knitting. Seriously I just don’t have time to spend hours there… I’m sure the cake you will bake for your son will be amazing whatever you decide to do because it will be a cake baked by you with love.

Thanks Rita. I’m it will all turn out well in the end. It always does, even it it’s not quite how I expect it to go!

20. I’ve yet to really get a grip of it. Currently I just pin my own photos to my own boards and hope some people might find them.

To be honest, I find the whole ‘using other peoples’ photos’ thing make me feel a bit ill. And posts where people have just used other peoples’ pins are just lazy!! Slack, slack… and I don’t mean your use here by the way.

But friends tell me I am old and old-fashioned and just don’t get the whole shareability thing.

Hmmm.. good to catch up with you via IBOT, if a day late!!
    Seana Smith recently posted..Big Blast in Brookvale – Photos for Wordless Wednesday

I share your concerns about Pinterest and the re-pinning and pinning of images. I have only pinned a few things from web searching and have always included the address I found them so there is some reference to where they were found. I’m not sure how Pinterest doesn’t infringe on copyright laws but there is a very good reason I’m not an intellectual property lawyer!

21. Rina says:

Oh that cake is awesome. I should make one for my boy too for his birthday. He is a big fan of Ninja Go!
    Rina recently posted..Baby Weight Rebounds

22. I have to admit I am a bit of a Pinterest fanatic and I too have ogled all that insanely clever and totally impossible Lego stuff lol. Good luck! 😉 x
    Sonia Life Love Hiccups recently posted..Husband and Wife Bed Games

Thanks Sonia. It really is all insanely clever and totally impossible, isn’t it? I will clearly need all the luck that I can get!

23. Janet says:

I don’t mind browsing pinterest sometimes – it’s a bit like flicking through a magazine, a bit of light entertainment.
    Janet recently posted..The Aftermath of Valentine’s Day

1. March 15, 2013

[…] Why I Believe that Pinterest is the Work of the Devil! […]

2. March 19, 2013

[…] been feeling slightly stressed about Gilbert’s upcoming party. He has great expectations and I’m not really known for delivering when it comes to party […]