I Must Confess…My Most Hated Household Chores

Hello again! Welcome to yet another instalment of I Must Confess, the home made confessional that aims to lighten your load and make your day brighter.

I want to thank all those who ‘fessed up to something last week, paticularly those who shared their music tastes, good or bad. I hope starting off the week with a clean slate made it a good one for you all.

This week’s prompt asks you to share your most hated household chores. Now, I hope I’m not the only one here who’s first instinct was to write ALL OF THEM in caps, just to emphasise the engulfing hatred I have for all housework!

However, upon reflection, I thought it would be more of an entertaining post if I listed my top 5 most hated tasks and confessed to how I go about them to make them a little less painful.

So here’s my top 5 most hated household chores:

1. Cooking

This will be no surprise to anyone. I do not have the interest nor talent nor patience nor passion for cooking. The stress of having to work out what we will be having for dinner and then having to actually cook it usually drives me to alcohol by the end of the day.

The best way I find to deal with this is to somehow swing it so my lovely, talented and culinary inspired husband, Nathan, does the cooking for me. He can make something out of nothing, while I, sadly, can make nothing out of something:

2013-03-01 13.58.47

Exhibit A: A perfectly good pie that I literally nuked in the microwave after misreading the cooking instructions!

2. Ironing

I’m sure there are a few of you nodding along to this one with me. I really detest ironing and do everything I can to avoid it. To the point I often shop for clothes that do not require any shred of ironing. Yes, I’m that desperate.

For the ironing that I can’t avoid, I have made it a little more interesting by ensuring there is something worthwhile on TV while I mind-numbingly move that iron backwards and forwards. My TV of choice? The Block, Downtown Abbey and Castle. They go a little way to reconciling myself to having to do what I cannot avoid…

3. Sweeping/Mopping/Vaccuuming

I suspect my back hates these activities nearly as much as I do. While I enjoy the finished product once it’s all over, I can’t really describe how much I hate the process of sweeping and mopping and vaccuuming. It’s relentless and most definitely thankless.

What I hate the most about these jobs is the fact that the minute it’s done, you pretty much have to start doing it all over again. It’s nearly enough to stop me trying at all… Personally the only way I can get it done is to just get stuck into it, with some upbeat music blasting in the background to keep me keeping on.

4. Scrubbing the bathroom and toilet

Yuck. Is there a household chore more disgusting than scrubbing out the toilet? Or a task more painfully mundane than cleaning up mould and grime in the shower? Well, maybe cleaning out the bin compares, but not many other household chores would.

I hate the gag factor arising from the chemicals needed to clean the typical bathroom as well as the physical effort required to shift the grime. Apart from hiring a cleaner, I have no tips for making this particular task more palatable. Again, it’s one of those things I have to grin and bear (so to speak…)

5. Cleaning blinds and windows

I’ve had venetian blinds in my last three homes and they are, quite frankly, a bugger to clean. I’ve tried the fancy three-pronged duster, tried the close them up and clean in one go approach and have even taken the time to clean each blind individually. Each of them is utterly painful.

In my experience it’s absolutely dispiriting when you get the blinds in order only to realise that the windows themselves are filthy too. Easily accessible windows aren’t too bad but those windows that are high up or difficult to access makes life hard. My tip – call the professionals if you can, it’s so much easier that way!

What household chores do you detest? Do you have any tips for making them more palatable? Or do you have something else to get off your chest? Just know, whatever the confession, you are most welcome here!

The Rules…

I must confess with My Home Truths

Eternal thanks to the wonderfully generous Rhianna from A Parenting Life for working out how to show the code for my button. Thanks Rhi, there is no way that my technologically challenged self would have ever worked that out on my own!

– I Must Confess is a link up that will be happening every Monday and will remain live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

Next week’s confession prompt – what would be on your bucket list?

1. Tegan says:

Our list has a few similarities it seems. Although I go one step further on the ironing and just flat out refuse to do it lol.
    Tegan recently posted..I kinda suck at being a housewife

2. I also don’t like ironing so my tip is don’t iron until you need something! I put everything away unironed and then when I know I want to wear that cute blouse that’s a bit crinkled, I iron it just before I’m ready to wear it. So much less mind numbing back and forth-ness….

Nice plan Amy! I bulk iron what I need for the week as my mornings are fairly hectic getting myself and the three little bears ready for work and for school but if I had the time I think I would definitely only iron when I needed to. I’m sure I would give my wardrobe a workout in trying to find clothes that didn’t require ironing!

3. Kirsty I’m like you, I’m not a fan or even good at the three c’s – cooking, cleaning or craft! I detest all household chores, there’s so much more great stuff which I could be doing than cleaning, eg sleeping!! Have a great week – ps. LOVE the pie shot, I got a giggle earlier in the week also – Em 🙂
    Emily @ Have a laugh on me recently posted..Why you should shed your old skin and say yes to invitations out

The three C’s – I like that description! And you’re so right, there are so many other things to do in life rather than clean. So many other things…!

4. Mystery Case says:

My hubby vowed to cook, clean and slave after me and after almost 20 years I can happily say he is holding up all of his vows. My vow to take more of an interest in rugby league not so good but I did also vow to allow him to cook, clean and slave after me, and that one is working out pretty well.

I have a bit of a style challenge on the blog today, so haven’t posted on topic, but I definitely think as soon as I’m allowed to payout on Mr C again, this could make for an interest subject.

Have a great week!
    Mystery Case recently posted..Call Me – We Can Get Together …over my Jet Empire Jewellery

Awesome vows Raychael! I can only wish my husband vowed to cook, clean and slave after me…I obviously didn’t give that enough thought at the time!

5. Rhianna says:

For me my pet household chore hate is the washing. Oh man it will be the end of me I swear. Not that I enjoy or am good at any of the other tasks but that one is by far the one I hate the most. Have a wonderful week lovely filled with #fwbk xx
    Rhianna recently posted..I must confess I failed miserably

I actually don’t mind the washing part – it’s the hanging out, sorting and putting away that I detest! You should see my bedroom at the moment – there’s a week’s worth of washing in there and it is not pretty!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can manage to burn frozen foods. Ugh, hate mopping and vaccuuming too esp as takes hours of clearing all the freaking lego and crap off the floor before I can do it.

Anyway, already blogged about how clueless I am with all things domestic, so linked that up. Hope that’s okay.
    Ness recently posted..About A Boy, Or Boys, Actually

You will laugh at this then Ness – I completely misread the instructions for heating the pie. It said microwave for 1.5 minutes on high but I read it as microwave on 15 minutes on high (my eyes are getting OLD). It made it to about 8 minutes before acrid smoke began billowing from the microwave. Any normal person would have questioned those instructions but not me. Some days I can’t believe I am in charge of children…

7. Cathy says:

I would have to agree with most of what you wrote except I don’t ALWAYS hate cooking – sometimes I go through periods of enthusiasm in the kitchen. The relentless question of what to cook for dinner EACH night is painful though. I have found that a menu plan (even weekly) helps in that regard. I’m also weird in that I don’t entirely hate ironing. I have a good steam iron and unless I’m extremely tired (like today), I don’t mind doing it (much). The rest of the chores can bugger off though! I really want to find a cleaner for the bathrooms when I move – I detest that job more than all the others! Thanks for hosting I Must Confess 🙂
    Cathy recently posted..I Must Confess: Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall

Thanks Cathy. I also dream of having a cleaner one day. Maybe when we finally move into the new house…that is my dream!

8. Lisa says:

Oh I hate most of those jobs too. Especially the kids toilet. My 4 yr old sometimes forgets to flush-not a good surprise.i do love cooking though but cooking 7 nights a week gets a bit old!
    Lisa recently posted..I must confess & Listmania linkup

I feel your pain Lisa. I am going to have to put a visual up in the kids’ toilet to remind them to flush it – I’m growing bored with the endless “surprises” I find in there!

9. Oh if you don’t like ironing get one of those handheld steamers, you can pick them up for $20 and they make the whole process so much easier. I’m afraid I don’t have any tips for the rest, I actually like using the chemicals on the bathroom because at least it has that clean feeling about it – tried the natural way and it just didn’t do it for me.
    Kyla @ Three Quarters Full recently posted..House Trained

10. super impressed that you don’t have to cook dinner! i’m with you on the scrubbing of toilets. BLAH. As for ironing, the only things that get ironed are our work shirts and hubby’s shirt if we are going out, and he does all his own (and sometimes my work ones!)
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..I’d Like To Learn How To Not Do Household Chores

I do still have to cook dinner some nights but we definitely eat better when Nathan is in charge of the cooking! And good on your hubby for ironing his own shirts – nice one!

11. Jules says:

I’m with you. All housework should be banned.
    Jules recently posted..I Must Confess…My Most Hated Household Chores

Definitely Jules! We should start a petition or something. Or even better, go on strike until it is banned. I’m ready when you are…:)

12. Shari says:

I think I nodded along with you the whole way through, Kirsty. Cooking though, groan, that is certainly the worst!!
    x
    Shari recently posted..Who’ll stop the rain?

Yeah, I really cannot find one redeeming feature about cooking. I wish I did, but I can’t… Glad I’m not the only one who feels that way Shari!

13. Nathan says:

Our house still smells like burnt pie!
    Nathan recently posted..Flashback: Carmen Sandiego

14. I don’t mind cooking or floor cleaning, love doing the ironing, and actually find cleaning the bathroom oddly therapeutic. I hate the dishes though, and also hanging out the washing. I just find it so boring!
    EssentiallyJess recently posted..Jess’ Favourite Things

I agree about washing up (thank goodness this house has a dishwasher!) and hanging out the clothes – very boring indeed! I just wish I could like cooking – I’ve tried for many years but I just can’t like it or get excited about it…

15. Grace says:

Oh, you picked some beauties, Kirsty!
    When cooking gets too much for me, I have a total meltdown.
    And scrubbing the bathroom!! Ugh! Drives me nuts!
    Grace recently posted..FYBF – Bloggy Royalty

I was serious when I said that my initial response was going to be ALL OF THEM. I detest all housework and seriously resent having to do it after spending 5 days at work during the week. But it has to be done so I have tried to find some practical and fun ways to get it over and done with! And yes, it drives me nuts in a big way too!

16. Rita says:

I love cooking, hate ironing… The only way I can do it is by watching my programs at the same time.

A girl after my own heart Rita! Yes, I’ll be doing my ironing in front of Downton Abbey tonight…it’s the only thing that gets me through it!