My FIL is at it again…

Yes, you read that right. My father-in-law is at it again.

A couple of years back, he tackled the Kokoda Track with a few mates to raise awareness and funds for autism. Here are some photos of that trek (sourced from Just Add Geek):

Kokoda_1 Kokoda_2 Kokoda_3 Kokoda_4

Apparently trekking the mighty Kokoda Track was not enough for my FIL and his mates as they have just embarked on another walk for autism, this time along the challenging South Coast Track in Tasmania.

They started out yesterday and will take 8 days to walk the 85 kms from Melaleuca to Cockle Creek. You can check out their progress by visiting their site Step Up 4 Autism.

As always, I am in total awe of my FIL’s determination to do whatever he can to support his grandchildren and other children with autism. Last time they raised $2700 for ASPECT. This time around, they are just trying to raise awareness of autism in the community.

In Australia, the ratio of children with autism is 1:110. In the US, the ratio is 1:88. With the number of diagnoses increasing, it is important that more people are made aware of what autism is and what it means to many families. Awareness leads to understanding and understanding leads to acceptance. Isn’t that what everyone deserves?

Step-Up-logo-print-small

So please take a few minutes to visit Step Up 4 Autism and ASPECT and become a little more aware of what autism means to the many families who live with it. Families like ours. It will only take a moment but it will mean the world to families like ours, everywhere.

ibotbutton

Joining in again with the wonderful Jess for IBOT.

1. Lydia C. Lee says:

Good for him! And great to raise money for a worthy cause while doing something that he wants to do!
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..The Gift

2. Lyndal says:

WOW your FIL is a start – how awesome!!

3. Me says:

WOW – what an amazing man to support his family like that !!!!
    I hope they have a very successful walk – thank you for the sites to look at.
    Have the best day !
    Me
    Me recently posted..Liebster Award

What a fantastic thing your FIL is doing. My husband has always wanted to walk the Kokoda track but hasn’t convinced me yet.
    Ness recently posted..I Must Confess: My Fears & Phobias

5. Talia says:

Wow, how fantastic!! What an awesome cause, and he is a pretty special FIL to do all of that!
    Talia recently posted..Parenting Ideals and Compromises…

6. Kirsty I am all teary. What an amazing man! In a time when many grandparents are in denial about autism in general, your FIL sounds like the best grandparent ever. So much love for his family and what an amazing opportunity to trek the Kokoda track!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..The Hardest Part

7. What a great bloke. Not only is he raising funds, what an amazing inspiration for his grandkids too. Amazing!
    Amanda @ Cooker and a Looker recently posted..the fruits of my labour | homemade tomato paste

8. Good on him! A very worthy cause. Hope he goes well. Thanks for sharing this. xx
    Zanni, Heart Mama recently posted..A moral baby and a kinder mother

9. iSophie says:

Oh this is just so beautiful of him. Good luck to him! It is a bit colder here in Tassie today, I hope they rug up.
    iSophie recently posted..The Great Moscow Circus

10. That is so awesome of your FIL, what a great man and a great cause!

#teamIBOT was here!
    Kylez @ A Study in Contradictions recently posted..The Crappy Weeks

11. Tegan says:

What an awesome thing to do! He is a machine to be able to walk that kind of distance too.
    Tegan recently posted..The truth is better than any story

12. What a wee legend he is – I bet you are so proud. xx
    Emily @ Have a laugh on me recently posted..Flying can be fun, and not just for those in the Mile High Club!

13. That’s incredible that he would do that. What a top bloke.
    I’m actually surprised by those statistics, cause I thought ours would be more similar to those of the USA. It seems that there are a lot more people living with it these days.
    EssentiallyJess recently posted..Rich

14. Carly says:

What an incredible thing for your FIL to do. I hope his journey goes well!
    Carly recently posted..The one where I let the little voice in my head out

15. Eve Adams says:

Your FIL sounds like a wonderful, inspiring man. I hope the apple didn’t fall far from the tree 🙂
    Eve Adams recently posted..13. Secretville is a lonely place

16. Wow. How very amazing. What a wonderful thing he is doing.
    Becky from BeckyandJames.com recently posted..On Failing as a Parent

17. Rita says:

Wow! Your father in law is really amazing. And his friends too. Wishing them a lot of success in their walk.
    Rita recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – At the beach