I Must Confess…My Taboo Topics

Well, last week was HUGE. Huge I tell you.

32 of you lovely people linked up – 32!

I have to say I loved reading your confessions and your first blog posts. It was a lot of fun and very illuminating too!

I hope you all had the chance to check some of them out and I thank everyone who took the effort to link up, many for the first time.

You guys rock!

While last week was all about your first blog post, this week’s prompt is all about the things you would never blog about. Even the most open blogger would have taboo topics that they would not tackle, it be on principle or due to disinterest or belief.

hand over mouth

image source

I have 5 taboo topics that I will never discuss on the blog. None of them are outrageous or surprising, but it might be handy for you to know about them. Besides, you can never know too much about a blogger, can you?

1. Identity of my kids: I will never publish identifiable photos of my children, nor their real names. I wrote a post a while back discussing the reasons for this stance but essentially I don’t want people to be able to Google them when they’re older and find a whole bunch of stuff that I had posted years before.  As much as I would love to share their true awesomeness with you, it’s not going to happen.

2. Identification of my workplace: I will never go into much detail about my workplace. I have shared in the past that I work in the public service and, as such, there is a code of conduct and values that I must adhere to, which could be compromised if I shared more about the actual work that I do. Not to mention the fact that you’d all be bored senseless if I went on too much about my real world job!

3.  Recipes: I can tell you right now that there will never be a recipe posted on this blog. If you’ve followed me long enough you will know that I am not of a culinary persuasion – I have no interest, patience or talent for cooking. If, by any reason, a recipe does miraculously appear here, DO NOT FOLLOW IT. My track record is not good and you would most probably regret it…

4. Creative Projects: I am not creative or arty or crafty either. Having said that I have posted twice about Matilda’s junk sculpture projects which I do not count as truly creative because I just took photos as she and my husband put them together. I’ve never come up with anything creative myself and the only time I got involved in her projects, I came off second best after an altercation with a hot glue gun…so a big no to creative projects.

5. Sex: Conversations on that topic will never happen here. Blame it on my natural modesty, on my high school experience in a single-sex Catholic school or because I am a major prude. But there’s no way I would ever talk about sex here. Not to mention the fact that my husband and other family members read this and that would make my life uncomfortable in the extreme. If you are after the saucy and the salacious, I’ll wave you goodbye right now.

So there are my taboo topics. Do you have particular topics that you will never blog about? Or do you need to get something else off your chest this week? Either way, you’re in the right place, so link up your confession and feel instantly lighter and brighter – that’s a promise!

The Rules…

– I Must Confess is a link up that will be happening every Monday and will remain live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

Next week’s confession prompt – what was your first job?

1. 32 is a huge linkup! congratulations Kirsty! and I will never let the identity of my workplace be known, either. In fact I try to keep my “IRL” very separate to my blogging life and I’m very much in the closet, except for a few close friends and my husband who know about my blog. I’ve posted quite a few pics of Nick so his identity is less secret. It’s hard to un-do that now unfortunately!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Crushes: Then and Now

2. Hello! Linking up to a taboo blog post from 2010.
    I don’t blog about finances, my day job or people without their permission.
    Carly Findlay recently posted..Cirque Du Soleil’s OVO – Docklands, Melbourne

Thanks for linking up again Carly. I never go into specifics about finances but I have confessed that talking budgets is guaranteed to get my husband and I into a fight. Every single time!

3. Shelly says:

What a coincidence. I had a post scheduled and I just realised that it’s a perfect one for today’s prompt: taboo topics.

I wasn’t going to post it at all, because I don’t usually like to talk about menstruation on the blog (TMI in my opinion–usually). In fact, another confession is that I ended up editing it a lot to remove the gory details. I kept thinking about my husband and mother-in-law reading it and thinking, “What was she thinking writing about that on the internet?” and in the case of my MIL, “Oh my poor poor grandchildren!”

Anyway, I’m glad I got the chance to link up. Congratulations on the success of your link up, whatever changes you’ve made to the format seems to have worked!
    Shelly recently posted..Perimenopause: Irritability is a mild way of putting it

Thanks for linking up Shelly. To be honest I self edit all the time – I naturally overshare and always need to pull myself back before hitting the publish button!

4. I wrote a post two years ago about shame and blogging, when I realised that there were limits to my over sharing. Reading it today, I realised that I have no idea what it was that made me feel so ashamed.

But it does talk about what I can’t blog about. Hope it fits!
    Dorothy @ Singular Insanity recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Sprinkler Fun

5. Tina Gray says:

Congrats on the 32 link ups! That’s awesome! I think the only things I won’t really go into detail on my blog would be sex and finances. While I do share stuff about my kids, I don’t tend to share anything that would embarrass them. The older kids get to say yay or nay to any post I blog about them.
    Tina Gray recently posted..Crushes: then and now

Thanks Tina, I was blown away by the response last week and am really happy to have some return visitors this week too. I like the balance you have struck on your blog with identifying your kids – it gives an authentic feel, something I do feel I miss at times. Thanks so much for linking up this week!

6. As a fitness blog I try to keep my family out of it using only names like Hubby and Miss 3, I have put the odd picture of the family on the blog but try to keep it on topic.
    Rachael @ Fit Fab Forty recently posted..The week that was – Aquathon Race Wrap

You bring up a very good point Rachael. For personal bloggers family are ‘on topic’ and it’s hard to maintain engagement without going into too many details about your family. Thankfully I think I have found some balance with that now but it can sometimes still be an issue for me.

7. Me says:

Great job Kirsty !!!!! This is growing in a great way !
    I have very similar taboo topics as you. A and K know that I blog – I don’t think that they read it (I know A doesn’t because he wouldn’t know how to find it) – as far as I am aware, none of my IRL friends read it – and that is how I like it. This is my space and it needs to work for me.
    Have the best week !
    Me
    Me recently posted..Crushes Then and Now

8. Mystery Case says:

Just love this and rather pleased I found your blog. I have rather similar taboo topics but have crossed the line slightly today on my blog with my Love Making Art post… combining the less than creative me with SEX.

Thanks for playing today! I really hope to see you again sometime and I’m really looking forward to reading your post!

9. You make me laugh, eg about recipes, and craft, the same goes for me! I’ve been known to allude to sex but not sure I could get too explicit! Thanks again for the linky – and I really hope your first day at work has been okay, especially with major tooth pain 🙁 xx
    Emily @ Have a laugh on me recently posted..Trying to turn around my shitty day with a post about gorgeous men and taboo topics

Thanks Emily. First day went well but I’m exhausted tonight! Glad I’m not the only one who is not into recipes or craft!

My taboo topics would actually be exactly the same as yours Kirsty, except for not having a work place and also adding religion and politics. I don’t like being controversial.

Yep, definitely with you on the no recipes or craft lol
    Ness recently posted..30 Years: A Fan Remembers

I thought about adding religion and politics but I do actually want to keep those options open. I have already written a few posts with a political focus (mainly around special needs education funding) and I would never rule out a post about my religious (or non-religious) beliefs one day…

11. Jo Tracey says:

I didn’t blog it, but I’ve never & will never mentioned where I work, or have worked, where hubby works, where Miss 15 goes to school. These are absolute never evers.

12. Lydia C. Lee says:

There are definintely 2 camps on the kids thing. I don’t even put my kids on FB…so I’m with you there.
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Exceedingly Handsome Guy – pondering on superficial beauty

I do put pics on my kids on my personal FB profile but I have the highest possible settings and don’t have huge amounts of ‘friends’ so I’m hoping I’ve done enough to protect them there. But even so, some days I do wonder whether I’m taking too much of a risk there. I suppose everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to online privacy, don’t they?

13. I wish I hadn’t used my children’s names on my blog…I don’t know how to change it now. Great post! x
    Zanni, Heart Mama recently posted..Book review: How to Catch a Star, Oliver Jeffers

It’s hard, isn’t Zanni? I would not have been so protective had not my husband been so careful himself (he has blogged for longer than me) so he knew the risks. I’m glad with the decision that we’ve made but it’s a very personal decision to make and a lot of people would class us as extremely over-protective and cautious. It comes down to what you are comfortable with, in the end, and there really is no right or wrong answer.

14. Grace says:

32 links! That’s awesome, Kirsty!
    I hold your blog in the highest respect because you’ve set your rules on taboo subjects. If we don’t draw our own lines to privacy, then there is the danger of oversharing!
    I have to remember to link up soon!
    Grace recently posted..FYBF – Cutie Patootie Crazy!

It was an awesome week Grace – I just wish you could bottle those ones for the future! And thanks for your lovely words – I was lucky to have thought about some of those privacy aspects first up, mainly due to the experience of my husband. Without that I could well have taken a path I would have been less comfortable with. And yes, link up soon, I would love to host you!

1. February 4, 2013

[…] But in the interests of playing nicely, and that fact I really dig her blog, I’m joining in with Kirsty’s @ My Home Truths for I Must Confess […]