I Must Confess…Music That I Love

Are you ready for another round of confessions, revelations and surprises courtesy of I Must Confess?

I am. Let’s do this thing!

Firstly, as always, I want to thank those of you who participated last week. I’m loving that quite a few of you are becoming regular confessors and that means a lot to me. At the very least it makes me feel a little less alone in being a chronic oversharer and general nosey parker!

Music is my Life

image source

Now, this week’s prompt was to share your musical tastes, questionable or otherwise. A quick look around my blog will show you that I am a big lover of music. I usually share a music post every Sunday, dedicated either to a particular genre of music, a specific theme or to one of my favourite artists. I absolutely love sharing music on the blog.

Music has always been a core part of my life. From my first Village People LP (which was cruelly and deliberately broken by my little brother – I will NEVER forget the pain of that day!) through to the first ever cassette tape that was mine alone (Smash Hits ’87 for those of you playing at home) through to my very first compact disc (a CD from 90’s Australian band CDB that was given to me at my cousin’s wedding), music has always been there for me.

I remember making mixed tapes in my room as I listened to Barry Bissell’s Top 40 Australia every Sunday night and getting up early on a Saturday morning to watch the Top 50 on Rage. I was lucky enough to have been exposed to a wide range of 60’s and 70’s music care of my parents and thus developed an eclectic taste that has followed me throughout my life. Which is why you can find the 5th Dimension, The Prodigy, Spice Girls and the Bee Gees all now happily living on my iPhone!

Despite going through a Triple J phase as well as following a number of other alternative music paths, my first love has always been pop music. As music has often been a source of comfort and escape throughout my life, it’s a no brainer that most of what I listen to is upbeat, fun and peppy. And I make absolutely no apology for liking music of the lowest common denominator.

If it makes me feel good, I’ll listen to it, whether it’s considered cool or not. So in the interests of full disclosure, here are my top 5 favourite artists of all time:

1. Jamiroquai

jamiroquai022

image source

My absolute number 1 favourite band of all time. Jay Kay is a genius and the funk/soul/pop/jazz fusion he has created is literally music to my ears. This band just keeps evolving and getting better and better with every album. I’ll try to stop gushing now…

2. Robbie Williams

robbie-williams

image source

I am a Take That girl from way back but Robbie obviously hit his stride once he left the boy band that made him famous. Sing When You’re Winning is a sublime album and I’ll never forget how good he was in concert when promoting it – a true performer.

3. Lenny Kravitz

lenny kravitz

image source

Lenny is one cool dude. He has an eclectic back catalogue of music that ranges from soul, rock and pop to amazing power ballads. Are You Gonna Go My Way is burned into my memory as THE song of my HSC year at school – great memories and good times!

4. Maroon 5

Maroon 5

image source

Two words – Adam Levine. But they’re also a pop/rock band with an eclectic sound and a raft of hits. I cannot decide between This Love or Makes Me Wonder or Moves Like Jagger for the title of my fave Maroon 5 song so they are going to have to share it.

5. Brand New Heavies

Brand New Heavies

image source

A UK acid jazz band from the 90’s, they are seriously smooth. I lived off their grooves through my uni years and still find my happy place listening to their music.

Honourable mentions have to go to Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men & Simply Red who also played a huge part in my musical development – I will always have a soft spot for the 90’s!

Now, it’s over to you. Do you have any embarrassing musical loves? Or do you have something else to get off your chest? As always, you have come to the right place – go ahead, make your confession and feel all the better for it!

The Rules…

I must confess with My Home Truths

Eternal thanks to the wonderfully generous Rhianna from A Parenting Life for working out how to show the code for my button. Thanks Rhi, there is no way that my technologically challenged self would have ever worked that out on my own!

– I Must Confess is a link up that will be happening every Monday and will remain live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

Next week’s confession prompt – come clean about your most hated household chores!

1. We have very similar tastes in music and I must admit I have a thing for Adam Levine. This week, I was going to try for a music theme but as I have a theme song each week and usually select this Sunday have gone with this post.

Mainly due to the fact that for the second time this week, I’ve crossed the line as far as my normal blogging rules go and have done a bit of a mummy blog where I mention my family.

Wishing you a fab week and off now to add your button to my blog!

xx
    Mystery Case recently posted..It had MY name on it – REALLY!

I loved your post Raychael – that necklace is gorgeous but it’s a pity the shop is closing down. Hoping you have an awesome week also!

2. I tried adding the button but had no success. Will try again after I’ve had a bit of sleep. Almost 3.30 am here.
    Mystery Case recently posted..It had MY name on it – REALLY!

You’re keen Raychael! I copied it from last week’s post so maybe copy it from there if you are still having problems. Let me know if you still have no joy and I’ll investigate further.

3. I had intended to write a post about my musical tastes (from Enya, U2 to Gorillaz and dance music, but then ALL 3 of mine got sick – and so I quickly did this last night because it’s a confession of how much I love being wanted.
    I love Lenny, Robbie, Maroon5 but am embarrassed to say I haven’t heard of the Brand New Heavies.
    Have a great week 🙂 Em
    Emily @ Have a laugh on me recently posted..I love being able to make my son happy by just being me.

Your post was beautiful Em – it really made me think about how little time I really sit just “being” with my kids. I really need to slow down, somehow… I like Gorillaz too – very catchy and dancy! Hope the kiddos recover for you very soon.

Nice confessions Kirsty. Nothing to be ashamed of on that list. Mine, however, is a different story. Didn’t think I could come up with anything worse to confess than Carpenters, but I was very wrong. *hides in shame*
    Ness recently posted..I Must Confess: My Musical Tastes

5. Me says:

LOL – I’m not sure if I haven’t heard of some of these because I am so old or because I just have a different taste in music !!!!
    Have the best week and, as always, thank you for hosting !!
    Me
    Me recently posted..Things I Know

I think it would be a combination of both – I have absolutely NO idea about music these days, I stick to my 90’s classics on my iPod! Thanks for joining in again this week.

6. Janet says:

I love Jamiroquai too! Other embarrassing ones on my list: Abba, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, S Club 7 and the Spice Girls … 😉
    Janet recently posted..Real Men Do the Grocery Shopping!

7. Ooooh Maroon 5! love them! I’m also loving Pink, The Fray, Guy Sebastian at the moment. I LOVE Sister Hazel. Oh, and Jason Derulo! I will listen to just about anything!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Listing The Blogs

Pink is also fantastic and a big favourite with Matilda at the moment. I also have a thing for Guy Sebastian – he really is a genuine guy with a fantastic voice – nice tastes Aroha!

8. Lisa says:

Hi Kirsty I knew most of these but am ashamed to say I don’t know who the Brand New Heavies are!
    Lisa recently posted..I Must Confess + Listmania Monday

The Brand New Heavies were never very well known but they were THE band of the 90’s for me – it was the first time that I discovered music that I loved outside the popular sphere. They are well worth a listen – very smooth!

9. Rhianna says:

I am a huge music fan as well, though I must admit my tastes are a little different to those you mentioned today. Though I do like Maroon 5.
    Thanks for hosting lovely and I hope you have a great week
    Rhianna recently posted..I must confess I can’t do this any more, well at least for a bit

Seriously, who doesn’t like Maroon 5? I hope life gets a little easier for you and you can return to normal blogging soon. Happy imminent birthday too – hope you end up having a glorious day!

10. Seriously, who doesn’t like Maroon 5? Well, I liked their first record, but “Moves Like Jagger” is a truly awful song. I haven’t really liked anything else by them since “She Will Be Loved” was released.

Anyway, I remember that Lenny Kravitz tune being the soundtrack to the HSC. Such a cool tune.

Anyway, I’m gonna try that blog-linkup thingy on Sunday for the Sunday Sessions. I have the perfect (well I think so) Sunday song to share. Hopefully I can get it to work properly.
    Dave @ The Sound and the Fury Podcast Blog recently posted..Johnny Cash and friends vs The Record Industry

You should definitely link up. Cass didn’t host it last week but I’m hoping it’s back this week – just give me a yell if you have any trouble.

11. Jo Tracey says:

Just how good is Sing when you’re winning…or swing when you’re winning? Love love love Robbie…
    Jo Tracey recently posted..I must confess…what’s on my iPod

I love both those albums. Who am I kidding, I love ALL his albums, even Rudebox which was most definitely not his finest work! 😉 Thanks so much again for linking up, sorry for taking so long to get back to you – I’ve been a rather rude linkup host this week…

12. Jamiroquai is just awesome. Huge amount of talent. I love their sound very much.
    Melanie Graham @ A Welcoming Hearth recently posted..I Must Confess… My Musical Tastes

They are very cool – so happy to hear from a fellow fan! And thanks for linking up too, I’m just sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you – it has definitely been “one of those” weeks!