The Organised Blogger

I like the sound of that – the organised blogger.

Don’t you?

blogging image

image source

As I shared in my last #IBOT post, I have a few bloggy goals for the year and they all centre around me, the unorganised blogger, becoming a lot more organised.

Just how am I going to become the organised blogger? Well, I’m glad you asked.

I have a fool-proof five step plan…

1. I am going to try to stick to a schedule of sorts. A blogging schedule. And, I think, it’s going to look a little bit like this:

Sunday – Musical Musings (my weekly music focused post)

Monday – MyΒ I Must Confess link-up

Tuesday – IBOT with Jess

Wednesday – a rest day or the odd Wordless Wednesday post with Trish or a guest post (anyone keen to be my first guest poster?)

Thursday – a rest day or a thankful post (like the old Thankful Thursdays with Kate)

Friday – Things I Know/FYBF/Flash Blog Friday (my multi link-up day with Miss Cinders, Grace and Bree)

Saturday – a rest day or the odd special needs post as the mood takes me.

Of course, there will be weeks where I won’t be able to post on a particular day or I’ll feel the overwhelming urge to write a post that doesn’t fit into “the schedule” but I’ve been sticking to this general schedule for a little while now so I hope I can give you all a little more certainty when you head my way.

2. I am going to try to pre-write and schedule more posts. This does not come easily to me as I write better when inspiration and opportunity happily collide but I am going to have to learn to be more disciplined and write when I can, rather than write when the mood strikes me. Having the schedule should give me a little more focus and direction…hopefully!

3. I need to be a more purposeful and less distracted blogger. I suspect I’m not the only one who has a tendency to open up social media first when I turn the computer on, only to find that the post I was meant to write remains unwritten 2 hours later. I need to make specific time for blogging and to actually blog in that time rather than waste my time faffing about on social media.

4. To make this happen I will need to set aside specific time for social media. You may laugh (I know I am deep inside) but this is the only way I can become the organised blogger that I want to be. The other advantage of setting aside specific social media time is that I should (in theory) make better use of it. It’s a theory that needs to be tested, obviously…

5. With my extra time I should have the time to write the posts that matter. I have so many really good posts in me but not that many have actually made it onto the page. For instance, I want to write more posts to help others who are caring for loved ones with special needs. I need to knuckle down, concentrate, be organised and take the time to make them happen.

See, it is a completely fool-proof five step plan!

Sharing my blogging plans with you all care of Jess and her wildly successful IBOT linkup.

ibotbutton

Have a fantastic and productive Tuesday!

1. Great plan! I think it’s achievable. Good luck!! Rachel x
    Rachel from Redcliffe Style recently posted..Why I love Running shoes….

Thanks Rachel. I think it is achievable too – I just need to have belief in myself and have the willpower to make it work!

2. A great plan! I think most of us struggle with what I call the Facebook trap. I have a blog planner that keeps me on track most of the time. Good luck! I look forward to seeing how it turns out!
    Chrissie @ Organised Chaos recently posted..Medical Filing

Ah, the Facebook trap, I know it well! I will have to find some tools to keep me on track too – I’ll definitely need all the help I can get to make this work…thanks for wishing me well!

3. What a great plan. I will taking some tips from you to try and get more organised too πŸ™‚ Happy blogging to you!
    Kaz @ Melting Moments recently posted..A fun find: Mega Blocks First Builders, Free App

4. I’m a disorganised blogger, but not this year! I’m well on my way to having planned out my content for the whole I’d 2013! I am quite shocked πŸ˜‰
    Laney | Crash Test Mummy recently posted..Exhausted, distracted and depressed

Good on you Laney – that’s rather organised and very impressive! I’m not sure I’ll ever be that organised myself but it’s high time I give it a go. All the best for your very organised year!

5. BossyMummy says:

Good luck with your blogging goals. I lovevthevidea of a schedule. I have made one several times, then it’s fallen by the way side. Maybe this year is the year πŸ™‚

Hello from #teamIBOT

6. Completely fool proof! You can do it πŸ™‚ My schedule is going to be similar. Mondays with you, Tuesdays with Jess, Fridays with Grace. And if that’s all I do all week, then that is fine. No pressure this year! That’s my plan!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..On Day Care and Vacation Care

That sounds like a very achievable plan Aroha. And I do like the thought of no pressure too…let’s do it together!

7. Wow! That’s super-organised. I’m only just getting into link ups this year but not so many. Good luck with it! πŸ™‚
    Psych Babbler recently posted..Reviewing my 30 by 30 list

Link ups are so good for bloggers. They give you inspiration, they give you readers you may not have found otherwise, they give you connections and they give you friends. I think they are very valuable – I hope you get the chance to link up many times this year!

8. Rhianna says:

Sounds like a great plan lovely, I would like to be a more organised blogger as well, you make it sound so easy. Maybe I might just steal your plan! Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses
    Rhianna recently posted..Normal mistakes and sorting oneself out

Oh Rhi, I’m so good at talking the talk – let’s see whether I can actually walk the walk! And you are more than welcome to steal my plan – it’s foolproof, after all… πŸ˜‰

9. I am definitely an opportunity and inspiration blogger. I don’t get inspiration daily so therefore I don’t post daily – I take my hat off to those of you that can.
    I also scheduled time for social media. It is the only way I know how to not get sucked in πŸ™‚
    Becc via #ibot
    Take Charge Now recently posted..Welcome 2013!

I’m glad to hear that you’ve been able to schedule time for social media Becc – that gives me hope that I may actually be able to achieve that one too!

10. Good luck with it all! I think having a plan in mind is half the battle. And I’m definitely guilty of the social media faffing.
    littlebirdlittlebee recently posted..The Falls.

Aren’t we all guilty of social media faffing? It’s so very easy to get sucked in – happens to me all the time… πŸ™‚

11. Me says:

GReat idea – I need to sit down and become a little more organised as well – I seem to write as and when inspiration hits (sometimes I can’t and inspiration disappears when I can !!!).
    Have the best day !
    Me
    Me recently posted..Being Kind To Myself

To be honest, I would love to continue on as I have done and write whenever the mood strikes. But I can’t go on like that for much longer so I better suck it up and at least try to become more organised!

12. Such a good plan! It really is too easy to get sucked into social media. Good luck, i’ll be following your progress πŸ™‚

13. Emily says:

Great plan! You have steps instead of vague goals and ideas – you’re already winning in my book. Good luck.
    Emily recently posted..The top baby names of 2012 were Amelia and Oliver

14. I love that there are so many link ups available in the Aussie Blogasphere – it definitely gives a little structure xx
    Catherine Rodie Blagg recently posted..Somebody’s mum went to a gig…

The linkups are so good in so many ways. They have created real communities, they get readers to your blog and they are a great way to find new bloggers to follow. And yes, they do give some structure and some prompts when inspiration fails you!

15. Robomum says:

As mnetioned previously, I love your blogging goals. I hope you achieve them. I look forward to reading X
    Robomum recently posted..Huggles in Bed: Stocks are Limited!

16. Rita says:

I have a blogging schedule on my blog and I love it. It’s been working well for me. Mine is for three days a week but I’m thinking of adding another day… Will see. Good luck with your plan!
    Rita recently posted..My life according to no plan

I think 3 or 4 days a week is ideal. I’m aiming for a consistent 4, with options for more. I’m glad to hear having a blogging schedule has helped you out – I hope I get some benefit following one too!

17. Rhian @melbs says:

What a great plan, Much respecto to you I don’t think I could blog everyday like that. I wish I could but I just dont have the imagination to write posts so regularly. I really should try andbe more regular, but I am the same, I write when the mood takes me and usually publish immediately. I need to Schedule. Maybe that canbe a2013 resolution!
    Rhian @melbs recently posted..Melbourne or bust

Rhian, I’m learning to love and appreciate scheduling posts, it really can be handy sometimes. I just need to work out how to write a weeks’ worth of posts in one go – now that would keep me organised and give me some more time!

18. Janet says:

Good on you for planning AND having some flexibility built into it – best of both worlds!
    Janet recently posted..Bad Birthdays

That’s the plan Janet – I really want it to be an achievable goal and not something that I fail at the first hurdle!

19. They sound like excellent steps to take. I totally hear ya on number three, you’ve described me there to a T!
    Kylez @ A Study in Contradictions recently posted..1000

20. Good luck – i think your plan seems great – i plan ahead (anywhere from 1-3 mo depending on my ideas..) and then chop and change them to suit my mood. This way I have ideas saved in case no inspiration, but they can be bumped for something that comes to me in the moment. xx
    Deb @ Home life simplified recently posted..Looking back, looking forward

I would love to be as organised as you Deb! I usually have no shortage of ideas and often write up potential post ideas but I do need to work on my time management across all aspects of blogging – thanks for wishing me luck, I’m going to need it!

21. Simone says:

Good luck – I am trying to put more structure into my blogging approach, too. Oh, the working on a plan and scheduled posts are my goal. I look forward to reading them.
    Simone recently posted..The Ikea β€œhigh”

I’m glad I’m not the only one trying to be more organised – maybe we can support each other along the way to have the best chance of succeeding Simone!

22. I love this post. I too need to become a more organised blogger. I go back to work and school in a few weeks plus I have three boys with autism so as I’m sure you understand it is hard to find time for me.

Thankyou so much for sharing the link ups too as I didn’t know about some of them so I’m going to head over and have a look. Thanks again and I hope you achieve your organised blogging dream. I’m afraid it might just be a dream for me but I can only try.

Much Love.
    MTA.
    Mum Talks Autism recently posted..A girl loving a boy. Autism and all.

23. Great plan, I’m totally disorgansied as a blogger these days but I think that’s because TQF is for pleasure and organising would kill some of that for me.
    Kyla @ Three Quarters Full recently posted..Face down, ass up…

Kyla, I’m a little afraid of some of the fun seeping out of it for me too, but something has to give and I can’t keep on going on the way I have been. Hopefully becoming more organised will make things a little easier for me…hopefully!

24. Rina says:

Great plan! I have tried to be that organized but didn’t work out to well because I am very moody person. But scheduling posts is a smart thing to do and yes spare time for social meia!
    Rina recently posted..Does Your Husband Listen?

25. Grace says:

Love your motivation, Kirsty! I can be organised at times and disorganised at others. Depends which day you get me. I do find when I use the Word Press Editorial Calendar plug-in, the creative juices flow a lot better.
    Look forward to seeing you link up with FYBF this year! x
    Grace recently posted..Rescue Me!

I’ve never used the Word Press Editorial Calendar before, I will have to check it out. I’ll need all the help I can get to become as organised as I want to be. And yes, I plan on being there each week for FYBF Grace!

26. Loved this post! I need to get more organised around my blogging. Thanks for giving me a bit of motivation and good luck! x
    Mama Stylista recently posted..Mama’s Top 5 Maternity Must Haves!

27. iSophie says:

Sounds like a great plan! I hope to get more time to blog once school starts back, with 2 at full time and 1 doing 5 days a fortnight. Which leaves me with only 1 boy on those days. Of course, he is the tantrummer, but I am hopeful!
    iSophie recently posted..The -worst- day ever! (Bushfires)

It can be a juggle sometimes, can’t it? Because I work 4 days a week as well as all the after school and family time stuff I need to schedule in blogging and approach it in a more structured way if I’m going to be able to continue doing it. Hopefully I’ll find my organised blogger in me, somewhere! Good luck to you too for the coming year, Sophie!

28. wow… reading this and all the comments make me realise that I am never going to make it as a blogger.

I blog whenever, when the mood strikes and each post is done and dusted in minutes.

29. Lydia C. Lee says:

Wow! Did you stick to that? That seems like so much – I’m clearly disorganised blogger, and struggle at times for my 2 posts a week (and 2 travel posts a month)! Crash Test Mummy has the year planned??!! I’m in awe…
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..First of the Month Fiction – September

30. Tash Hughes says:

How is the organisation going now, 8 months later?

I would love to have an organised blog, with posts coming out regularly and covering more themes (I’ve had them in my head but never had the time to action them!)

Writing and scheduling in advance I love to do – takes the pressure off in busy weeks if a post is already set – but I agree that sometimes it is very hard to not publish it straight away when I write a post I like. That would end up with many posts in a day or two then none for a few weeks though so I schedule, lol!
    Tash Hughes recently posted..Learning from Problogger experts

I really admire people who can make plans and routines and stick to them. After years of unsuccessfully trying to be that person I’ve had to accept that organisational skills are not my forte. Knowing that I have Asperger’s and to some degree that is a part of it,(I’m definitely impaired in the ‘executive function’ area) helps a little. Hope the plan is still working for you. Seems to be. xo
    Ness recently posted..The Nerdiest Girl In The School

32. Excellent plan! How is it going? Do you find you can stick to it? I thought, when I started blogging, that I’d schedule my posts, have them pre-written and ready to rock and be all over it. Not the case at all! I’ve found I’m far more slap dash than I thought and blog quite spontaneously. If I bake something, I share it, if I think something, I share it. Then I spend about two hours taking and tweaking the right photo! But it’s fun. I look forward to having a bit more time next year when my daughter is in kinder for longer hours. The link ups are great, I agree. Excellent way to support each other and get to know bloggers πŸ™‚ Cheers, Katie
    Katie Oliveira da Silveira (@mumabytes) recently posted..Chia – The Superseed

33. I am a totally disorganised blogger ! I tend to blog when and if the mood takes me. And some weeks with back to back night-shifts I can’t string 3 words together let alone a blog post.
    I try to link with you for I must confess, Jess on Tuesdays and I have Weekend Writers open each weekend for anyone who writes over the weekend. If I manage three posts a week, I consider it a good blogging week πŸ™‚
    Lisa – lybliss recently posted..Weed Whacking – I Must Confess

34. Tegan says:

I’ve become a more organised blogger over the last month or so and it feels great. I hope that you are still reaping the benefits of it all!
    Tegan recently posted..Let’s talk about love

1. January 21, 2013

[…] out: My new blogging schedule in a bid to become a more organised blogger. I haven’t perfected it yet but I’m hoping to get it in some order before I return to […]

2. June 21, 2013

[…] in January I decided to become a more organised blogger. It was a lofty ambition but I did come up with a fool-proof 5 step plan to follow. As it was […]