Musical Musings – Smash Mouth

I have a soft spot for Smash Mouth, a US pop-rock band who are probably best known for their “I’m a Believer” cover for the film Shrek and also for “All Star”, which graced quite a few movie soundtracks, including Mystery Men and Shrek as well.

I love their retro rock sound and the sense of fun in most of their songs. I had pretty much forgotten them until my son decided that he wanted to listen to some music as he went to bed.

He knew “All Star” and I knew that Smash Mouth was a safe bet for an impressionable 8 year old boy so we tried a shuffle of Smash Mouth songs, which he loved.

Going in and checking on him from time to time reminded me of how many good songs they actually had so I though I would share some with you all today.

All Star
This is such an upbeat song and the kids love it – no wonder it has been used on so many film soundtracks, including one of my favourites, Mystery Men!

Can’t Get Enough of You Baby
This is another song that was used in a film soundtrack, this time Jennifer Love Hewitt’s Can’t Hardly Wait. Even the video clip has a retro feel – it’s a really fun song.

Satellite
I love the 60’s feel that also comes from this one. This fan made video cracked me up too – it’s a lot of fun, just like the song itself.

Waste
This is one of my absolute favourites. I love the bass line, the drum work and the sadness that this song evokes.

Linking up with Cass Can Sew for the Sunday Session.

SundaySession

Happy Sunday everyone!

1. Rhianna says:

Nice choice Kirsty! I love SmashMouth though I had not heard of the last two.
    Rhianna recently posted..Sunday Session – The Just Dance Edition

2. Cassandra says:

I don’t mind a bit of Smash Mouth… it’s been ages since I’ve heard them though. Can’t get Enough of You is such a funky ditty!
    Thanks for linking up this week xo
    Cassandra recently posted..Sunday Session #2 – Holidays…

3. Emily says:

Gotta love Shrek.. and Smash Mouth, but Shrek!!!
    Have a great Monday 🙂
    Emily recently posted..It’s taken me a year to get my shit together, but I finally have

Shrek rocks. My daughter watched a Shrek marathon today, watching the first 3 movies in a row. I kept chuckling over my favourite bits – you’ve gotta love the kids movies that truly amuse the parents as well!

4. Nat says:

Love the Smash Mouth list! I haven’t listened to them for a while.
    Nat recently posted..Currently I Am – Listmania 1

5. Jules says:

I love All Star, but haven’t heard Can’t Get Enough of You Baby for ages. As for Shrek & I’m a Believer… I just can’t get enough. 🙂
    Jules recently posted..IComLeavWe January 2013