Musical Musings: Duran Duran

I have tried to be such a good wife this week.

Instead of watching the tennis all day and all night (very tempting) I have allowed my husband to choose our viewing of an evening so we can spend a little time together.

And despite giving him lots of choices, including the tennis, he has made the same choice every night.

Bond. James Bond.

Channel 7 has been showing all the Bond movies over the last few weeks and my husband is a Bond fan from way back. So he is in heaven.

The other night we were watching Roger Moore’s last outing as James Bond in “A View to a Kill”. It also stars Christopher Walken as the bad guy – being typical Christopher Walken – and Grace Jones as his accomplice. She is one mean looking evil doer.

Apart from the awesomely cast villains, I was struck by the theme tune, performed by Duran Duran. I can’t deny, it had me bopping away and reminded me of the true awesomeness of this 80’s supergroup.

So this week’s Musical Musings is dedicated to the pop perfection of Duran Duran – enjoy!

A View to a Kill

Hungry Like the Wolf

The Reflex

Girl Panic

SundaySession

Also linking up this week with the rebooted Sunday Session with Cass Can Sew – it’s great to see it back again!

1. Mumabulous says:

I’m a Duranie from way back. They were my second pop crush after a brief fling with WHAM! In middle age they are still Love Gods. It would have been awesome to have seen them live at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney’s Newtown a few years back but I doubt my husband would have appreciated it.
    Mumabulous recently posted..Para-Norman

Yeah, it’s funny how the husbands rarely share our pop loves! I was never obsessed with the band itself (I was a little young in their heyday – my first crush was Aussie band 1987!) but I have always loved their music and looking back on their videos you can see why they were adored. I especially love the sense of fun they had, their filmclip for A View to a Kill proves that (especially Simon’s bit at the end) I love it!

2. Cassandra says:

Thanks for being the very first to link up to Sunday Session Kirsty! Oh… good ol’ Duran Duran! I was a wee one when they hit the big time, but their songs have just always been there throughout the years haven’t they.
    I noticed there was a lot of Bond going ons this week in night time viewing… I quickly flicked past! hehehe
    Cassandra recently posted..Sunday Session #1 – Let’s get the ball rolling again!

I’d been missing the Sunday Session but I had continued to do my music posts anyway as I really love sharing my thoughts on music on my blog. So when I discovered yesterday that you were bringing it back, I was so in! Here’s to many more sessions Cassandra, thanks so much for bringing it back!

3. Hi Kirsty, how are you? I can’t say I was the biggest fan of Duran Duran but was always dancing to their songs on the dance floor. I used to be a big Bond movie fan but can’t get into them anymore. Sean Connery was always my favourite Bond.

Anne xx
    Anne @ Domesblissity recently posted..Sunday Session – I Dreamed a Dream

I’m good Anne. I’m certainly not as big a fan of the Bond films as my husband but I don’t mind having one on in the background and having a laugh at the stereotypical villains, the double entendres and the terrible Bond girl names! Have a lovely Sunday!

4. Love Duran Duran lol
    still do OMG! They are coming down under too so i heard and i for 1 will get a ticket for sure 🙂

I love that they are fun and vibey and their music really gets my toes tapping. I’m not really in a position to get to any live gigs at the moment, but I will think of you if they do make it Downunder – enjoy!

5. Thea says:

Oh yeah, LOVE Duran Duran.
    John Taylor….mmmmmm dreamy!
    I saw John & Simon in an interview recently.
    They’ve aged like fine wines!! 🙂
    Thea recently posted..a Set – Friday’s Fancies – Emerald City

I was actually amazed at the Girl Panic video from 2011 – they sound pretty much the same and they have aged really well, although you only see glimpses of them throughout the video, in between all those impossibly ageless 80s and 90s supermodels!!! I’ll have whatever they’re all having, I’d love to look half that good after 20-30 years in the business!

6. Emily says:

OH my I totally ADORE Duran Duran – A view to kill totally my favourite, something about it, I turn it up loud as possible whenever I hear it! Go you for letting hubby pick the TV, especially when all you want to do is watch the tennis. You good wife you!! Emily
    Emily recently posted..A mother’s guilt runs deep and is never ending

Duran Duran are fab, aren’t they? I so enjoyed reliving their music when putting this post together – it was lots of fun. And yes, I am a good wife, aren’t I? Tonight, since there is no James Bond we are onto another of his favourites, Die Hard 3.

Don’t worry, there is a method to my madness – I’m storing up my credits for the fortnight of grand slam tennis ahead of us!!! 😉

7. Shelly says:

I was never really a Duran Duran fan, but I did love Ordinary World and I liked the Hungry Like a Wolf video because it was filmed in Sri Lanka, where I lived for a short time as a child.
    Shelly recently posted..FYLP: Get Your Butt Movin’

I forgot about Ordinary World! I particularly like their videos. I saw a documentary recently that showed just how cutting edge they were in their video production – it was a really fascinating show, if I can eventually remember the name of it I will share it, it’s well worth checking out.