I Must Confess…My First Blog Post

Hi peeps and welcome back for another round of revelations care of the homemade confessional called I Must Confess.

Last week we had a record 11 bloggers linkup – Nathan, Gary, Rhianna, Aroha, Jo, Jess, Emily, Nat, Lisa, Claire and Lipstick Mumma.

Thanks so much to each and every one of you, you seriously made my week!

This week I’m going to share my first ever blog post and I hope some of you can do the same.

Now, you might be wondering what does that have to do with confessions? Well, quite a lot, actually.

I love reading first ever blog posts. They are fascinating. You can usually work out why the person started a blog, what they hope to achieve and what they are about, all in a single post.

You can get an early sample of their “voice”, their tone and their style of writing. Even better, you can then compare it to their posts now and acknowledge the journey they have made.

I know my writing style has changed since my first ever post back in January 2011. My voice is essentially the same but I try to write shorter paragraphs and leave greater white space on the page.

I’ve also attempted to make an effort to write shorter posts, although sometimes I do struggle to write succinctly (sorry!) and I don’t think I will ever be able to break free of my addiction to exclamation marks or ellipses…

My reasons for blogging, though, have remained the same. I wanted to start for me, to help me make sense of my life and have a record to look back on. Those reasons are as valid and real today as they were 2 years ago.

So, link up your very first blog post as a sort of confession of the blogger you once were. Hopefully we’ll all get know each other a little better and get a little more comment love for our inaugural posts while we’re at it.

Feel free to also link up your own confession if you feel the need to get it off your chest. We’re an understanding bunch here and it will make you feel better – believe me, it will.

The Rules…

– I Must Confess is a link up that will be happening every Monday and will remain live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

Next week’s confession prompt – taboo topics: share the topics you would NEVER blog about.

1. Nathan says:

The oldest post I could still find online required the use of the “Way Back Machine” and comes from February 2009. It was for the podcast I co-hosted up until recently: http://web.archive.org/web/20090606045352/http://www.herebegamers.libsyn.com/
    Nathan recently posted..Confession Time: 10 down

2. You know I think writing styles changes and develop the more we do it. My first post starts out quite aggressive/angry and most of my early ones were moaning – but over time they have changed. I love your first post, it was nice to read about why you got started 🙂
    Emily @ Have a laugh on me recently posted..I must confess my first ever blog post wasn’t as hot as Hugh

Thanks Emily. In some ways I still can’t believe that I actually got the nerve to start in the first place…if only I knew what I was getting into at the time!

3. Rita says:

Hi Kirsty. It’s the first time I share a post here with your linky party. I really liked the idea of sharing first posts. Writing style do change so much with time and practice. I feel much more confident to write in English now even though if it’s not a hundred 100%.
    Rita recently posted..Knit stitches (Part 2 – The knitting series)

Thanks so much for linking up Rita! I loved reading your first post and your English is fantastic – I honestly had no idea that it is your third language!

4. My first post definitely shows why I started blogging and I think it really reflects my voice well. In fact, I fear that I’ve lost that raw honest voice in the last four years as I’ve become more self-conscious and aware that other people actually read my blog.
    Dorothy @ Singular Insanity recently posted..Men, perfection and being worthy

It’s hard when you start having an audience – it can change the way you write, even unconsciously, as you can’t ignore that it is no longer purely for you. And the more emotional posts will also be more raw and honest than everyday posts. I know I write far better when I am impassioned about a cause, such as my posts on autism, albinism and special needs parenting. Thanks so much again for joining in Dorothy!

5. I already posted something for this before I read yours and saw the prompt for first blog posts. I don’t even want to go and read mine, let alone share it! It’s from back in 2007 somewhere and I’m sure it is painful! Like when you find journals from when you were 18 and the world was full of heart ache and unfairness because Billy Bob next door didn’t love you the way you loved him. HA HA!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Wild Weather Weekend

Hahaha! That’s like my travel journal I uncovered last week – it was quite a read, the detail I went into about the totally mundane stuff we did was breathtaking. 🙂 I’m sure your’s isn’t quite so bad Aroha – thanks again for linking up!

6. Jules says:

I can’t believe my first blog post was almost 7yrs ago. Time flies, as they say.
    Jules recently posted..I Must Confess…My First Blog Post

That is amazing Jules. Some days I can’t believe I’ve been doing this for just over 2 years but I’m not sure whether I have another 5 in me…! Thanks again for linking up.

7. Janet says:

My first blog post at Redland City Living was only 2 months ago so I went with a different confession this week 🙂
    Janet recently posted..The Cheat’s Guide to Housework

I loved your confession Janet – you had some corker ideas in there, pity you didn’t embrace those years ago!!! Thanks too for taking part this week 🙂

Mine first post reveal that I’m a big sook and a Carpenters tragic. Yay me! *scurries off to read all the others*
    Ness recently posted..A Dangerous Mission

9. It’s been so long since I’ve confessed! Couldn’t resist this one, what a great idea 🙂 Looking forward to a little timewarp, a glimpse into the beginning of some wonderful blogs.
    Thanks for hosting Kirsty x
    Kelly HTandT recently posted..Feelin’ Pretty with Holly Priddis

It’s great to see you back Kelly. And I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s first posts today. I love that you just dived into things from the start – good on you for getting stuck into things from the get go!

10. Nat says:

I don’t know whether it’s good or bad, but my blog is still pretty much the same.
    Nat recently posted..10 Things About Summer – Listmania 2

I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all Nat. Mine hasn’t changed much either – I still go on a lot about me and my life and my interests – in the end it’s your blog and your voice and your writing. Thanks so much for linking up, I will definitely have to dive into your archives and find out how that renovation panned out!

11. Hi Kirsty. It was funny just looking at my first post. Very basic and a good laugh. Thanks for hosting.

xx
    Anne @ Domesblissity recently posted..Mystery Ingredient Monday

I thought your first post was very purposeful and organised Anne. I had absolutely no direction when I first began, save the desire to regularly write about my life. It’s taken a few years to finally find my groove but I’ve absolutely loved the journey along the way! Thanks so much for joining in this week!

12. Sometimes when I read back I think I liked my writing better when I just wanted to write and not feel like I had to come up with something profound. Off to read the others now – its like looking back and then refocussing on the future – thanks for the prompt!
    Sarah – TSIB recently posted..The see-saw of hope

I agree, writing with an audience in mind can definitely change your writing but it can also enhance it in some ways too. I’ve absolutely loved reading everyone’s first posts today – I think it has definitely made me think a little more about having a little more direction and drive. Thanks again for joining in today Sarah!

13. Rita says:

I just realised I forgot to put the badge on my post… I’m doing it now.
    Rita recently posted..Knit stitches (Part 2 – The knitting series)

14. Ooh I like Linkys 🙂 Great idea Kirsty. Thank you xx
    Melanie Graham @ A Welcoming Hearth recently posted..What Makes A House A Home? – Giveaway

15. Woah awesome turnout today Kirsty!
    I might join in later in the week. I don’t want to commit myself now and then be a poor commenter, cause I have heaps on this week. I only got around to last weeks on Saturday night!
    EssentiallyJess recently posted..Moving On

Thanks Jess, it’s been a great day and I’ve loved reading everyone’s first posts – it’s really been quite fascinating reading. If you can link up later in the week, feel free, but I know what you mean about having to be able to commit to being a good commenter to join in. Hope you have a great week Jess – take care of yourself!

16. Wow, first post, now that’s a blast from the past. I did cringe slightly reading it back now. Thanks for the linkup.
    A Cajun Down Under recently posted..Confession Time

All cringey feelings aside, I’ve loved having a glimpse into the thought processes behind the start of other blogs. Thanks for joining in this week!

17. Rhianna says:

OMG! I am number 24 Kirsty congrats on such a great turn out this week!
    Rhianna recently posted..Tips to save money on your electricity bill.

I know – I can’t believe the turn out this week, it’s very special. But your link hasn’t turned up Rhianna – you may need to check that out, I’d love to read yours too!

18. How funny I just found my first blog from 2001! Linked up – thank you 🙂

I’m in awe of you starting all those years ago Carly. I had absolutely no idea about blogs for the longest time so I’m still amazed that I finally found them and in the process found something that makes me so happy and fulfilled. Thrilled to have you join in this week, thanks so much for linking up!

19. Me says:

I have linked my first post of this blog – am trying to find the very first blog post I ever posted – if I find it, I’ll link it up !!!!
    Thanks for this – it’s a great linky !!!
    Have a great week.
    Me
    Me recently posted..Listmania Two – My Season

Thanks Me. I’m in shock so many people have linked up – it awesome to read all the first posts too, it’s been a great week, thanks for joining in!

20. Me says:

Have just found my very first blog post so linked it up as well – hope that it is OK !!!
    Have the best day !
    Me
    Me recently posted..Listmania Two – My Season

21. Me says:

Sorry – high jacking your comments here today – my first post 18 April 2005.
    Me
    Me recently posted..Listmania Two – My Season

22. Oh man, I do love a good confession. I used to make them a lot on my blog. So I may just join you each week with links to my old stuff, just for a bit of nostalgia.
    Congrats on the new (very successful) linky.
    Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit
    Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit recently posted..Day 1215 – New York

Thanks Leanne – I’d love for you to link up some old confessions when you get back from your New York trip. Always happy to find another serial “confessor”!

23. “I must confess” is a great theme for a link up, I’ve been meaning to come and check it out all week so glad I finally made it. I’ve linked up my first ever post – it’s actually still one of my favourites 🙂
    Catherine Rodie Blagg recently posted..Window kissing

I know I have had a lot of fun with it and so pleased to see others starting to get into it as well. I’m glad you finally made it and I hope to see you here again sometime soon!

24. Me says:

Sorry for the hoo-haa caused Kirsty – you can delete the two that I posted this morning – I’ve loaded again at #33 !!
    Thanks and have a great weekend !
    Me
    Me recently posted..(Random – as always) Things I Know

That’s alright, glad you took the trouble to do it again! You will have to delete them as it appears I cannot…sorry to make you do more work!

25. iSophie says:

What a great idea! I read mine again and what a ways I have come! I was still using Auto setting on my camera back then. I think I have certainly come along way as far as photography for sure.

This linkup is going to keep me busy for a few days! First posts are so interesting.
    iSophie recently posted..Rice Cracker Kid

Thanks for playing Sophie. I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s first blog posts this week, it’s been a whole lot of fun. Enjoy your weekend of reading and commenting!

26. Grace says:

Oh, Kirsty, I would love to but mine is dead set embarrassing.
    Well, give me time to think about it. You might see it linked up…
    It just want to crawl in a hole every time I read it!
    Grace recently posted..FYBF – More Cutie Patootieness

I’m sure it’s not that bad Grace 🙂 I must say it’s been so much fun this week seeing how everyone here has started out. Plus I’ve loved being able to comment on posts that didn’t get much love the first time around. It has warmed the cockles of my heart!

1. September 5, 2016

[…] I recalled my first ever blog post (still the most successful linkup week […]