Things I Know – End of the Year/World Edition

I haven’t done a proper things I know post for a while so I thought I would share what I know right now as we approach the end of the year and, perhaps, the end of the world!

IMG_0446

I know…I actually took this picture earlier this year. What I don’t know is how I managed it…

I know…that I will be rather unhappy if the world does end today. Apart from the annoyance of dying before my time I would be hugely annoyed if all the work I put into this and my other upcoming scheduled posts were for nothing… 😉

I know…that if your husband pretends he is a troll on your blog, he will be hammered by your amazing and loyal readers. I love you all, you know that already, don’t you?

I know…that if there is a hint of controversy or conflict due to troll like comment appearing on your post that you will have one of your biggest days on the blog ever, both in views and comments. Obviously controversy DOES sell…

I know…that I prefer being free of controversy (oh, my poor nerves!) so I will crawl back into my hole and enjoy the peace and quiet again!

I know…my kids had mixed emotions when they finished off school for the year on Wednesday. They were happy to be on holidays but they were upset to be leaving teachers that they love and some classmates that will be in other classes next year.

I know…I felt bad for Matilda the other night when she sobbed for more than half an hour as she already missed her teacher. She has had this teacher for the last two years and it will be hard for her to adapt to someone new.

I know…Gilbert also had a night of upset when the reality of the end of the year hit him too. I’m going to try to make the non-routine of the holidays a little easier for them to bear, if I can.

I know…I am looking forward to a couple of weeks away from work over Christmas and the New Year. However I was so eager to leave the building that I forgot to finish a couple of things off which meant I had to go back in again…sigh…

I know…that I’m going to have a break from active blogging over the same period so I can give myself the chance to rest. I’ll be re-posting some of my favourite posts and I’ll still be on social media though as I can’t go completely cold turkey!

I know…that I am excited that I’ll be able to lay about watching tennis during my holiday. I will be tweeting on my second account @KirstyRussell so I don’t bother you all on my @MyHomeTruths account (feel free to follow me there if you are a tennis fanatic too!)

I know…that I meant to write a massive end of year post to join in with Grace at FYBF this week but my massive week meant I couldn’t do it in time. I’m hoping to post it tomorrow instead – I hope you can come back and relive 2012 according to My Home Truths!

I know…that it’s time to finish this up!

smom-things-i-know-meme

Linking up with Miss Cinders for Things I Know, Grace for Flog Yo Blog Friday and Bree for Flash Blog Friday!

1. what a lovely perspective on the end of a year
    I love the idea of your “non-routine” over school holidays and how kids don’t really cope too well with that
    I’ll have to find some more patience maybe, its the lack of routine that will be driving them crazy
    Merry Christmas, enjoy the tennis!
    xx
    Josefa @always Josefa recently posted..The Butterfly and the Storm

Thanks Josefa. We haven’t been completely successful so far with the “non-routine” routine but hoping to find some normality now that the craziness of Christmas is over. If you find some extra patience, can you send some my way too?

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family and I’m looking forward to continuing to follow your adventures in 2013!

2. There is going to be a lot of adjustment happening in this house too, Kirsty.
    Hopefully we’ll all handle it ok. Fingers crossed!

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year with your family, and all the best for 2013 🙂
    xx
    Tracey @ Bliss Amongst Chaos recently posted..The Year That Was 2012!

Tracey, I hope the adjustment to holidays hasn’t been too rough for you. Things did settle down for us a little but being social (even with just family) over Christmas has taken it’s toll. We’re going to have a quiet day at home tomorrow to recharge our batteries and find some calm again. I hope you’ve enjoyed a lovely Xmas with your family and that 2013 is a great year for all of you.

3. Non routine is the BEST! And glad to see there is positive even with trolls!
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Each and every day of the year

Who knew a troll or someone acting like a troll would have any positive benefit? Although I much rather prefer a little less drama and confusion for all concerned! I like things being easy and quiet and comfortable…comfortable is good!

4. I love from the break of routine. I’m still in my PJs and it’s nearly 9am. It’s awesome!! Have a great Christmas. Rachel xx
    Rachel from Redcliffe Style recently posted..Laughter and love

Rachel, I’m hearing you – I’m already getting used to the later wake up times and the lack of pressure to get ready to go somewhere or do something. It’s bliss. I hope you had a great xmas with your family – all the best for 2013!

5. lisa says:

i love the holidays-i hate routine! have a wonderful christmas.
    lisa recently posted..A Year in the Life of a Mummymanifesto

6. Grace says:

That is a massive week!
    It’s so emotional for the kids when school year ends, isn’t it? Goes to show how much teachers play such a huge role in our children’s lives and we shouldn’t, not even for a moment, take them for granted.
    Grace recently posted..FYBF – 2012 Highlights

Being married to a teacher and knowing all the things my kids’ teachers need to deal with means that I will never ever take what teachers do for granted. They could never be compensated enough for the care, guidance and knowledge they share – it is immeasurable!

7. iSophie says:

She was lucky to score the same teacher for 2 years, but very upsetting to move on.

That was pretty funny (your hubby’s comment and then the results!!)

Sophie, you’re right, Matilda was lucky to get the same teacher this year but it is time for her to learn from someone new. I just hope the transition isn’t too rough for her…and for us! And yes, my husband did stir things up last Tuesday – I may have to ban him from commenting in future!!!

8. Thea says:

Great post!!
    I really hope it’s not the last day today too…because we’re signing the contract for our new block of land tomorrow!!!!! 😀
    Thea recently posted..a Set – Friday’s Fancies – Holiday Best

Thank goodness Friday wasn’t the end of the world Thea! I hope you got to sign the contract and can now plan what you are going to build on that land of yours – good luck with it.

9. Hahaha, that’s great that your community rallied to support you! Merry Christmas Kirsty. Enjoy your break. See you in 2013!
    xx
    Danya
    Danya Banya recently posted..2012 in review

I often feel alone as a blogger – sometimes you put your thoughts out there and you get nothing back. So it’s wonderful to know that people do care when they think you are being unfairly treated – even if you’re not. I hope you have had a lovely Xmas and I hope 2013 is good to you and your family!