Musical Musings – Thanks & Gratitude

If you follow me on twitter (and if you don’t, why not? I’m @myhometruths by the way ;)) you would know that my mother-in-law was dropping in this morning for a visit. Which is why I found myself mopping my floors at 8am on a Sunday morning.

Now I didn’t just do it because she was coming over (my floors were, to be honest, pretty putrid…) but her visit did spur me on when otherwise I would have just stayed in bed and ignored them for another day.

Actually, I’m lucky to have a really good relationship with my mother-in-law, something that not a lot of people have. We go shopping together, catch up for coffee together and have even holidayed AND lived together under the same roof – and survived!

I’m grateful to her in so many ways as she often helps out with the kids when I have to work back for any reason.  Her house is the central point for larger family get-togethers and she always has something ready for us to snack on if we ever pop over with little notice.

So today, knowing she is going to help me out a lot over the next few weeks, I wanted to say thank you in advance though song.

Here are some of my favourite gratitude songs – happy Sunday everybody!

Boyz II Men – Thank You

Dido – Thank You

Massive Attack – Be Grateful for What You Got

1. Debyl1 says:

I love that you have such a close bond with your mother-in-law and show such appreciation.
    Too often we complain about things and not often enough do we say thankyou.
    She is very lucky to have you as a daughter-in-law.xx

Well I think she’s lucky to have me too! But not as lucky as I am to have her – she really goes out of her way to support us and she truly is a wonderful person. I wish I could do more to thank her, to be honest!

2. Reggi Kolo says:

Hi Kirsty, yep you are one of the lucky ones that get along well with your mother-in-law. It certainly makes a big difference. I always tell my mum to be nice to her daughter-in-laws cos one day I might end up with a mother-in-law from hell as karma!!!! he he, probably why Im still single 🙂

I know I’m one of the lucky ones, Reggi – most of my friends do not enjoy spending any time with their in-laws. Keep working on you mum so when your man does appear he appears with a wonderful mother-in-law for you!

3. Krystle says:

I go into a cleaning frenzy with any expected family or in-law visitors. And even then, both my mum and mil will find some fault, last time it was the cob webs in the cornices. I think thy forget I have 2 small children and no cleaner (unlike some).

Glad you get on well with the mil. I can imagine it would make life a lot easier!
    Krystle recently posted..Expensive milk . . .

Krystle, it seems I need a reason to clean my house, other than just wanting it to be clean for my family – I tend to do quite a lot of last-minute cleaning when people are expected! I would hate to know what my mother and MIL really think of my housekeeping….they would find more than cobwebs in the cornices, if they had a really good look…;)

I’m always doing the big, mental last minute clean up before people come over too.

Sounds like a lovely relationship you have with your MIL. I always wonder what that will be like, having 3 boys. I hope that I end up having at least one daughter-in-law who will become like a real daughter to me. Time will tell, I guess.
    Ness recently posted..Why I Started My Blog

Ness, I am so glad I’m not the only one who does the last minute clean! My husband is one of 3 boys so my MIL has 3 daughters in law and has a different relationship with each of us. But we all get on well – in fact we all went away together for a short getaway earlier this year, so it can be done!