It’s On!

My husband and I have a wager going at the moment.

I have a history of not putting things away as I should and cluttering up every available space – you can see the evidence for yourself from the state of our previous house:

Kitchen behind back door

The hallway

House Pictures - Before 002

Disclaimer – I did eventually clean all that up and I have never let our current house get quite so untidy – not yet, anyway.

My husband, on the other hand, has a demonstrated loathing of putting together flat pack furniture. The only thing he loathes more is mowing the lawn…

Our mighty backyard

Given the size of our previous yard, I couldn’t really blame him.

So, we have currently have a wager in place that is testing the mettle of both of us and will ultimately determine bragging rights in this house for the rest of the year.

If I can keep our dining table clean and clear for an entire week (7 days, a long 7 days) my husband will finally put together the four remaining chairs that belong to our dining suite. A mere 6 months after we bought it.

As we reach the end of Day 2, so far, I’m holding up my end of the bargain. I’m determined to get through the week and keep the table in pristine condition. Man, I want to have my 8 matching chairs – I’ve waited long enough for them!

2012-12-16 20.36.08

See what I have been forced to do here? I’ve had to mix n match chairs – oh, the horror…

So I hope my darling husband is ready to put these babies together on the weekend because I’m determined to mend my ways and prove that I can leave a flat surface clean and uncluttered.

2012-12-16 20.37.01

It appears I may have already used the chair boxes for stacking purposes…oops…

Wish me luck, because with my pitiful track record, I’m going to need it!

ibotbutton

Linking with the fabulous Jess for IBOT.

Tell me – who do you think will win the wager? And do you indulge in similar tests of strength and willpower in your home?

1. Nathan says:

Yes, dear children, Mummy cleans and Daddy mows lawns and builds things. Oh dear lord, what kinds of stereotypes are we teaching our children?
    Nathan recently posted..Shame, Battlefront, Shame

• Kylez @ A Study in Contradictions says:

Oh dear lord, what kind of issues do you have?

That’s not what this post is about at all. So her husband mows the lawn. Big deal. And if I’m reading the post correctly, which I think I am, the mess is Kirsty’s so it’s only fair that he cleans that. How do you know her husband doesn’t do te rest of the cleaning? How do you know, apart from the two small jobs listed in thi post, who does what around their house? Was there a complete list of household chores and who does them posted that I didn’t see?

Maybe you should worry about something a little more important Nathan.

• Kylez @ A Study in Contradictions says:

Oh gosh, now I look like a douche. Maybe a winky face at the end next time Nathan!

• Alicia says:

I think he knows Kylez ๐Ÿ˜‰
          I thought he was a crackpot at first too lol ๐Ÿ™‚
          Alicia recently posted..power nap ponderings

My husband didn’t do himself any favours today, did he? I must say I was confused at first too – he rarely comments on the blog and normally he is a smart-arse when he does so I really wasn’t sure which angle he was taking initially! Sorry for the confusion… ๐Ÿ™‚

You are so not a douche! I feel blessed to have people who have my back and stick up for me when I’m not around – you’re a good egg Kylez!

I love you Kylez – between you and Jess today you completely had my back! I’m just sorry I was so busy at work and then at the shops this evening (dear lord THAT was a struggle!) that I wasn’t able to clear things up at the outset. I must admit I took my husband’s comment literally at first too…he does serious very well!

Dear husband, you’re just trying to distract me from the wager! Stop creating trouble on my page and get back to whatever you should be doing, gender specific or otherwise… ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Lydia C. Lee says:

Your post makes me slightly uncomfortable. If my partner saw it I’d be in HUGE trouble. I would fail on Day 1, so you’re already done well in my book…good luck!
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..What I don’t want for Christmas…

Sorry to have made you uncomfortable Lydia – I was just trying to be light-hearted about my own inability to keep things clean! My husband did read this and left a comment that has created quite a storm of it’s own…he’s all good about it, by the way! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. I think you will win but I think it’s going to be tough. It’s going to be totally worth it. Rachel x
    Rachel from Redcliffe Style recently posted..Girl on Raw with a Give away!

Thanks Rachel, I’m hoping I can get there – my track record is poor but I’m determined to change my ways for good!

4. Oh the horror! That gave me such a big belly laugh ๐Ÿ™‚
    Good luck with it, I’m sure you can do it.
    Take Charge Now recently posted..Healthy option for kids that is fun to boot!

Thanks Becc, I’ll need all the help I can get as I got home this evening and found the table full of stuff again. Unfair sabotage, I say…!

5. You can do it Kirsty!!!! Stay strong! ha ha ha! Hope you have your chairs by Christmas!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Thinking Happy Thoughts

6. BossyMummy says:

I would never be able to to that. I give my husband the excuse it’s coz I work part time and if I was home all the time, the house would stay immaculate. This is happening from March, I am so screwed ๐Ÿ™‚ good luck getting your matching chairs – so pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll let you in on a little secret – I’ve been able to keep the big table clean as I’ve found other places to stash the mess! Good luck with keeping that house of yours immaculate – if I can do it, you’ll be able to do it too!

7. Nathan says:

Hey, where’s the support for me? You have no idea how much my knuckles bled while building the first four chairs! Literally. They are not designed to be assembled by big hair hands! Please Kirsty, fill the table with crap!
    Nathan recently posted..Shame, Battlefront, Shame

I support you my dear, but I have the loveliest people supporting me today!!!

You better get those hands ready for assembling the last of those chairs… ๐Ÿ™‚

8. iSophie says:

I would lose. I cannot keep the table clear, ever. It doesn’t help that I have no where else to put things at the moment. (hence the house extension in the works).

There are also 2 laptops and a PC on the table at the moment. We are such geeks!

I totally understand Sophie – that’s why my last house looked as messy as it did! We have our PC on a desk but our two laptops are often found on the table – total geeks here too! (that’s why my husband and I have a joint blog – http://www.justaddgeek.com) It’s going to be a long week…

9. Alicia says:

Better tell hubby to service the mower Kirsty, he is going to be busy lol. Stay strong it is only a week and you may be forging good habits, and you better find homes or the stuff on those chair boxes ๐Ÿ™‚
    Alicia recently posted..power nap ponderings

Thanks Alicia – I am doing it to try and forge new habits. I’ve been too lazy about putting things away for too long. It’s actually surprising how good it feels to gaze upon a clean and tidy table each evening! I like it.

10. Kyla @ TQF says:

oh I’m totally the same, useless at putting things away. We have this pile on the dining room table that is starting to scare me. You should have put together the chairs and made him do the tidying ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Kyla @ TQF recently posted..They Don’t Tell You

Glad I’m not the only one who struggles with tidying Kyla! I would have made the wager the other way if I was handy – sadly I’m not, so I’ll try to mend my untidy ways, instead.

11. All the best with this! I too struggle a little with clutter, but I am confident you will soon be sitting on those comfy chairs ๐Ÿ™‚
    Housewife in Heels recently posted..Advent cramming

12. brilliant!!
    i’m on your team! hang in there and keep that table clean!
    xx
    Josefa @always Josefa recently posted..The Butterfly and the Storm

13. Jayne says:

I only tidy up when I’m cranky, so it doesn’t happen all that often ๐Ÿ˜›

Give me flat pack furniture to assemble any day of the week.
    Jayne recently posted..What I Know About Ritual

Wow – I wish I felt like tidying up when I’m cranky, that seems a lot more productive than sulking about or banging doors!!!

14. Rita says:

I’m sure you can make it! Maybe I should do a kind of exchange with hubby: he always leaves all his paper, mail, newspaper on the dinning table and it makes me crazy!
    Rita recently posted..How do you deal with โ€œnegative peopleโ€?

15. ann says:

Haha keep it up!! I love some clutter too and quite frankly what else is a dining table for if its not to put junk on!!

16. Rina says:

Good luck! Maybe you can call a back up..like Clean House team from the Style Network to get all done ๐Ÿ˜€
    Rina recently posted..Sometimes Spammers Crack Jokes Too

That would be awesome. I’ve always said I’d love a cleaner but I know that wouldn’t work as I would end up cleaning up before the cleaner arrived, thus cancelling out the need for a cleaner…my mind works in very mysterious and frustrating ways at times!

17. Rhian @melbs says:

You can do it! Keep the faith!! Us ladies are a stubborn lot, you should win on that basis.
    Rhian @melbs recently posted..Note to self โ€“ Tidy up my knickers!

I am determined to succeed Rhian – let’s hope I can bring it home AND continue to keep things more clean and tidy in future too!

1. January 22, 2013

[…] I was crazily reading posts in order to get them finished before our road trip, and came upon Kirsty’s. She and her husband were having a competition to see whether or not she could keep the table […]

2. January 13, 2014

[…] started this off well, now that we have finally finished putting all the chairs together for our dining setting! We just need to keep this going so it becomes an entrenched […]