Diagnosis: Festive Fatigue

It is certainly the season to be jolly and to be good and to be nice and to be kind.

But have you committed to being a bit too jolly already?

Are you already complaining about the myriad of social engagements crowding your calendar?

Do you secretly dread attending all those parties?

Are you stressed about finding something to wear?

Are you tearing your hair out trying to find THE perfect present for a loved one?

Do you feel like punching out the loud speaker upon hearing yet another Christmas carol at the shops?

Are you just wishing Christmas could be over already?

If you have any of  these symptoms, you may very well be experiencing the early stages of Festive Fatigue.

image source

This is a unique condition, usually only seen in December each year, with cases sometimes presenting into early January as well.

Festive Fatigue is characterised by the following symptoms:

• headaches (usually following the ingestion of too much alcohol)
  • stomach pain (often as a result of overeating)
  • fatigue (mostly due to lack of sleep or rest)
  • listlessness (also a symptom of a related condition called “End of Year Blues”)
  • irritability (partly a result of reduced sleep, combined with the demands of family and party-induced ongoing sugar rush)
  • stress (attributed to poorly made decisions, such as volunterring to host Christmas for the extended family this year)
  • anxiety (a result of intensive & unusual contact with said extended family)

If left untreated Festive Fatigue could develop further and become Christmas Freak-out or, even more seriously, New Year Hell.

Treatment is simple – rest up, eat well, eat and drink in moderation and take some time out to look after yourself. It may be called the “silly season” but that doesn’t mean you should be the one being “silly”.

Remember, prevention is the best cure. Learn to say no and never, I repeat, never, volunteer to host Christmas at your house.

Never. Ever.

Linking up a rather important public service announcement with Jess for IBOT.

1. Mumabulous says:

The fact that Christmas seems to be starting earlier and earlier with each passing year means by Jan 1 most of us are so freakin’ over it. Chez ‘Abulous hosted the family do last year. We’re very happily handing it over to the brother-in-law this year. As an added bonus, he has a pool.
    Mumabulous recently posted..Hot In The City

2. I am the total opposite. Fatigue yes, but not due to Xmas. No siree!!!
    We have volunteered Xmas at our house this year. Will need to get back to you on that one. Lots of extra work that we could do without, I am sure 🙂
    Becc via #ibot
    Take Charge Now recently posted..Children’s bedroom ideas

Good on you for volunteering, I’m sure it will go well Becc! I’m actually going to host a small family gathering this year, thus breaking my own rule, but I’m hoping that it will still be manageable – we’ll soon see!

3. it doesnt matter if i dont volunteer they turn up anyways!

think i need a rest x
    Mums Take Five recently posted..Christmas Nut Roast – Vegetarian Main Dish

I hope you get the chance to rest sometime soon. You need to perfect the art of closing the curtains and turning off the lights so when relatives do drop by unexpectedly you can pretend you’re not there! I can’t guarantee success but I hope you do get a rest soon xx

4. Love this post Kirsty! We have had a hectic December already and it’s only Day 4! Our festive season actually started back in October though, with all the hens nights & kitchen teas for my sister and cousins weddings which happened over the last three weeks. It’s been full on but I’ve loved it! This weekend we are taking Mia to the Wiggles and then we are almost at Christmas the weekend after that! Can’t wait for the day after Boxing Day, when my sister, Mum and I are going down to Wagga to visit my newly married sister Kate in her new house.
    Kylez @ A Study in COntradictions recently posted..Births, Deaths & Marriages

Your month sounds hectic Kylie, but filled with family and love. I hope Mia enjoys the Wiggles concert and have a safe trip down to Wagga – we have family there too, I really enjoy heading down that way for family visits!

5. Thanks for the heads up about this condition! Am excited about Christmas this year, as it’s the first one that my eldest will actually ‘get’ (he’s 2.5)… but will make sure not to host Christmas at my house!
    Housewife in Heels recently posted..Crazy Christmas Mumma

I’m so glad you’re looking forward to christmas this year – it’s great when the little ones start to “get it”. I’m looking forward to it too, but all the lead-up and events can take it out of you. I really hope you enjoy the silly season!

Just realised the advantages of having very few friends and living in Boganville. I avoid too many parties and nobody wants to visit. It’s a win/win situation for me really lol
    Ness recently posted..Why I Started My Blog

That would certainly makes things easier for you Ness. For me, it’s a delicate balance trying to get to some social things without stressing out my boy too much – it’s going to be a challenging month for us but I hope you do get to have a bit of a relax yourself!

7. Simone says:

This is spot on! I have been complaining about my calendar all week. Starting Friday I have social “stuff” on every night until the following Thursday. I am going to refer to it as Festive Fatigue from this point forward. Great post.
    Simone recently posted..Decorating Daydreams…

Thanks Simone. Apparently festive fatigue is a real thing – if you google it you’ll find a recent article in the Huffington Post! I hope you survive the coming week and get to have a rest, sometime soon.

8. Hi Kirsty! I got handed the “Christmas Wish baton” from Jess yesterday during IBOT. I chose you as the next bloggy recipient. Hope you can play!

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit

Leanne, thanks so much for tagging me. I would love to play along, I just need to find a free moment to get my xmas bloggy mojo on!

9. Janet says:

Ahhhh that’s what it is – festive fatigue! I’ll remember that next time somebody calls me Grinch or Scrooge … LOL
    Janet recently posted..O Christmas tree

10. BossyMummy says:

This is so true!!! (but I got sidetracked by the puppies – too cute!) I wrote my list for things to do before Christmas yesterday, it knows over 2 pages – hold me 🙂

I don’t blame you for being sidetracked! The puppies are adorable – once I found them, I had to use them somewhere. I feel for you and your Christmas to-do list. Mine is scattered in lots of places so it doesn’t seem as daunting, but I do have a greater chance of forgetting to do something on there!

1. December 10, 2012

[…] already warned you about the dangers of Festive Fatigue (which is a totally real condition – even the Huffington Post wrote an article about […]