I Must Confess…Should I Go There Again?

I used to have a linkup on a Sunday called “I Must Confess…” See, I even had a cool button and everything!

The linkup was all about having fun. The idea was  you could link up something old or new as long as it related to a confession of some kind, the revelation of an embarrassing secret, or getting something completely silly off your chest.

To give you an idea of what I mean, here are some examples of some of my confessions:

I Must Confess…My Top 5 TV Shows

I Must Confess…My First Job

I Must Confess…I’m No Good at Housework!

It’s coming up to a year since I first started I Must Confess (back on November 5 2011) and while it’s been hibernating for a while I still have the desire to run with it.

I gave it a rest as it was never a very successful linkup and it was hard continuing on with something that really wasn’t getting much support.

I would love to bring it back but I need your input first. I’m trying to see if the linkup failed to take off for one or more of the following reasons:

1. The idea was crap – I hope this was not the reason but maybe people do not like confessing to silly things like I do (unbelievable, but true…)
  2. The linkup day was wrong – I liked the symmetry of confessing on a Sunday and I have time to blog over the weekend but I know that many bloggers don’t so maybe the day was the problem.
  3. I just didn’t have the following to make it work – I’m not the biggest blogger in the universe and if not many people knew it was happening that may have prevented it gaining momentum
  4. The execution wasn’t right – again, I hope this is not the case but I’m a big girl and I can take constructive criticism.

So, if you could help me out with a bit of market research, I’d be eternally grateful.

Please let me know in the comments if you would consider taking part in a relaunched “I Must Confess” linkup and if you would, what day would be best?

And if you wouldn’t be interested, let me know too (in a polite and constructive way, of course).

Seeking the feedback of Grace‘s many peeps for FYBF – enjoy your weekend everybody!

1. I haven’t been in the blogging world long enough to give you a complete answer, but I like the idea. The day might be a problem though – but then finding another day might also be tricky, because people have so many other things on. Maybe a Monday would work – it’d let people confess what happened on the weekend 🙂
    Mel @ Adventures of a Subversive Reader recently posted..He’s a baby, not a gender stereotype

A Monday might work – it’s close to Sunday and it might be a way to get people to talk about what they got up to on the weekend. I’ll have to ponder that one, thanks so much for your input Mel!

2. I think it’s a great idea! I don’t generally blog on the weekends, because that’s when we have family time, but it seems to be a popular day for many bloggers because they have someone home to help with the children. My blog is a ‘mummy blog’ so I would be more likely to participate in the ones that were ‘mummy’ related. Good luck!

Great feedback – I know not everyone will be able to link up each week but I do want to maximise the chances of people being willing and able to participate. The way I ran it last time was open, as in anyone could post about anything, they weren’t confined to my confession, they could come up with their own. I ended up using mine as a prompt but could certainly make things a little less prescriptive and open ended to encourage broader input. A lot of food for thought there, thanks so much HIH!

3. Shelly says:

Hi Kirsty,

I think it’s a great idea, but these are the reasons I’ve only participated once or twice:

On the weekend, I like to do easy blogging, like we used to do with the Sunday Session. Just think of a song and share it, done and dusted. On Saturday, I might string a few words together for the 52 Weeks of Grateful, but by Sunday, I’m definitely in lazy mode.

Regarding your following, that may be a reason the linky hasn’t taken off, but I take the view that it doesn’t matter if the linky is popular if you’re doing it because you enjoy it. My Friday Funny link up is a prime example of that. I have only one other blogger taking part most weeks, but when I neglect to post, she notices. I see it as something fun that I get to do every week and if only one other person gets something out of it, so be it. I know that people drop in even if they don’t comment, and it is great for Google hits.

I’m not one to comment about your execution, because my linkup isn’t a successful one, but there musn’t be a trick to it. I don’t think we are missing some special technique to running and promoting a linkup, it must be just the following and perhaps the day.

Now another reason I haven’t participated much is that I don’t always have something to confess, and if I do, I just forget that there’s a linkup for confessions on your blog.

Maybe you could do some double dipping, do your confession linkup on a particular day during the week, but linkup that post on FlogYoBlogFriday (which can be any post of the week). That way people get to know about your linkup too, but it doesn’t take away from FYBF because your linkup is on a different day of the week. That’s my problem, my linkup coincides with the very popular FYBF. Also, I think there’s an area on Digital Parents where you can list your linkup.

I hope that helps Kirsty. Sorry for the novel-length comment! Let me know if you do decide to run with it, so that I can try to remember to linkup the next time I have something to confess.

Shelly x
    Shelly recently posted..Friday Funny: Brad Pitt for Chanel No.5 Spoofs

Shelly, I love your points.

I think the weekend is not right for the linkup, it’s certainly when I clearly get less views during the week so I would definitely move it to a weekday.

I loved it when even one person linked up but there were so many weeks where no-one did which was discouraging and made me feel like a Nigel Nobody. In the end I needed a blogging break and the linkup didn’t return when I did but I truly appreciated every single person who took the time to join in. It is clear my need to confess has not gone away however and I do want to start it again, even if the result is still the same.

I’m hoping to reach more people this time – as you suggest, leveraging off existing linkups might help get the word out there – hence my post today!

In the end, not everyone will have something to confess each week but I’m hoping to at least get the word out there so if people do, they know where to come.

Thanks so much for your novel-length comment – it makes a lot of sense and I appreciate your thoughts Shelly.

4. I must confess that I don’t think I ever joined in, sorry lovely. Sunday isn’t really a blogging day from me, unless like Shelly says it is something simple like the Sunday Session or just a random ramble.
    Being the linky junkie that I am I would try super hard to join in if you do bring it back.
    I tried hosting a linky at the start of the year, it was about making things in your life matter. The participation level was dismal to say but the least. I really think it is a numbers game. Like you I am smaller than the smallest fish in this big pond of blogging. I don’t know about others but I join linkies in the hope of getting more readers, I don’t know any other effective way of ensure I get at least some hits. So I guess if people see you as a small blogger they think your linky won’t get many hits and may not be worth the effort.
    Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses lovely
    Rhianna (@aparentinglife) recently posted..NaNoWriMo Day One

That’s exactly right Rhianna – I wanted to build a bit of community as I love joining in with other linkups but it’s hard to fight through the noise of the blogosphere to get your voice heard. I think I may trial it on a week day (yet to be decided) and see how it goes. I’ll keep you in the loop, thanks so much for your support, as usual!

5. It sounds like a great idea. It’s great when link ups have a theme, especially when suffering “writers block”. I would be interested in joining in for sure 🙂
    Renay@mummysmiracles recently posted..What University Really Taught Me

That’s great Renay – I wouldn’t expect people to link up every week but it would be great to get some support to get things up and running. I will definitely let you know how I go with it – thanks so much for your thoughts!

6. Annie says:

I like the idea, just need to know its out there because as you know, there are sooooo many of us vying for some sort of recognition for our blogs! Its a jungle out there!!

If you have ever been to the website Confessions of a Scary Mommy, they have a confessional (all anon) where you can say ANYTHING. It’s hugely popular but its because you can not be identified.

Rgds, Annie
    (via FYBF!)
    Annie recently posted..A camping movie for Halloween. Be afraid.

I’ll have to check out that website Annie – thanks for the tip. And yes, it is a jungle out there, that’s why I wanted to know whether the linkup had legs or not as I know my reach isn’t huge. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it!

7. Lydia C. Lee says:

I think it’s a brilliant idea, and I think it would work (but what would I know) but for me the day was wrong – I’m offline on the weekends…even try to ignore my phone….but let me know the new day and I’m totally there….
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Crazy Cat Shoes

Lydia, if I bring it back it will be on a weekday – once I take a stab at a likely day (might use my own version of pin the tail on the donkey for that one), I will definitely let you know!

8. Kelly HTandT says:

Being a relatively new blogger, I don’t have any suggestions as to why it didn’t take off. But I do think it is a good idea and I did enjoy it! x
    Kelly HTandT recently posted..Judgement: A Revelation

Kelly, I remember the week you and Kylie joined in, I enjoyed your posts! I’m keen to give it another go so we’ll see what happens – I think shifting it to a weekday might help and having a few more confessions up my sleeve now might make it a bit more interesting for people too… Hope to see you perhaps link up again sometime!

9. Becc says:

I like the idea. I am not sure I would be able to contribute each week as I would have to write a specific post (I don’t have enough in the vault as yet).
    Most people who blog daily, I am sure, would support this.
    It is nice to have a number of places to display your blog to get more interaction.
    So as long as I know when it starts I will be in it!
    Becc recently posted..Christmas….got it sorted!

Thanks Becc. I don’t expect the same people to link up every week but it would be nice to get a few posts linked up and to build a bit of momentum which was missing the first time around. I’m keen to establish more of a community on my blog and these posts helped me reveal more of myself and allowed me a glimpse into the lives of others as well. I will definitely let you know if and when the link up returns. I really appreciate your feedback, thanks so much!

10. Carly says:

I like the concept but not sure I would always have content.
    I am a first time visitor from FYBF so haven’t linked before. I look forward to hearing the direction you decide to take 🙂
    Carly recently posted..Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Meal Challenge

Thanks Carly. I’m aware that not everyone would link up every week (there were weeks that I struggled to find content too!) but I also wanted it to be a fun linkup where you could clear the decks, laugh at yourself and move on. I would like to bring it back, I’ll just have to work out a day that fits with my blogging schedule and fits in with other bloggers too – not a hard task at all…. 😉 Thanks for taking the time to visit and to share your thoughts – it’s very much appreciated!

11. Kimberley M says:

Hi there Kirsty,
    I think it’s a great idea and for people like me who like confessing shit, I think it would work. Perhaps it didn’t get support because of the day or because it’s too prescriptive? If you look at FYBF for example, it’s anything goes so you can link up any post – you don’t have to construct an entirely new post around a confession. I would do it, but I wonder how many people are organised enough to do it on a regular basis?

Kx
    Kimberley M recently posted..Friday Cocktail Hour – The Pegu Club

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Kimberley. Some people I think were intimidated by the thought of making a “confession” when it really wasn’t that serious – it was more a means for a post about things going wrong or funny crap happening, etc. I will have a think about changing the description but I want to retain the confession vibe – I’m quite attached to my naughty looking black teddy bear! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and making me think…

12. Shari says:

Hi Kirsty – I too was actually thinking of hosting a Sunday link up as a way of motivating myself to make sure that I get a little bit more productive! I do get it though that plenty of people like to take the weekend off. Maybe there is a way we could do something together? I like the idea of a Sunday confessional, and I had thought of something along the lines of a Sunday Soapbox to shout an opinion about something from the week gone by. I’ve not been around the blogging traps for all that long but I really love the connections that bloggers can make!

Hi Shari, that sounds like a great idea. If I do resurrect “I Must Confess” I’d probably change it to a weekday as traffic on the weekends tends to be lower and I’d be interested to see whether it fares better than it did before. Having said that, I think a Sunday Soapbox would be a great linkup, particularly if you kept the link live during the week for others, who don’t blog on the weekend, to join in too. There used to be a Grumble Sunday linkup hosted by Madam Bipolar which had a decent following but there hasn’t been anything else like that since. I’d be interested in linking up and in helping out if you do want to have a go. And I’m more than happy to collaborate on a project together if you are keen. I’ll be in touch with some ideas…

13. Krystle says:

I think it’s a great idea, but like a few other who commented I’m relatively new to the blog world. For me link ups depends entirely on whether I have a post ready to go that fits, and also how much time I have. I would think Sunday is one of the easier days for me to blog.

I also find there are so many link up at the moment. I don’t know if this is new, but some days there are 3 or more just in Aus. Guess it means you’re all competing for the same audience..

I still say bring it back. You might get some new contributors 🙂
    Krystle recently posted..12 Days of Christmas

Thanks so much for your thoughts Krystie. I wouldn’t expect the same people to link up every week but I did want to know whether it was a good idea or not (I think it is but I’m a little biased…). I think I will bring it back, I will just have to think about what day to try it on and make sure the word gets out there when it starts. But you’re right, there are heaps of link ups out there competing for attention – which just goes to show how strong and full of depth the Australian blogosphere is!

14. Me says:

I love linkies because they sometimes help me to think of something to blog about. The day doesn’t really work for me – as a rule I don’t generally post on the weekend – it is family time and if I am on twitter or FB, it is just on my phone when I have a couple of minutes.
    Not sure about which day would be good – I try to post on days if I want to link up with something that is on but as I am not blogging as often as I used to, it doesn’t always happen for me.
    Hope you are successful with this – I do think it has merit.
    have the best weekend !
    Me
    Me recently posted..A Great Place

Thanks for that – I just needed some objective views on whether the link up is worthwhile before I throw myself into it again. I will have to mull over an alternate day as the weekends are not generally good for most people – I will need to think that over a bit more. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!