I Must Confess…Near-Death Domestic Disasters

Welcome, again, to I Must Confess, the weekly linkup designed to give you the opportunity to bare all and cleanse your soul, without the inconvenience and expense of visiting a therapist!

Many thanks to A Parenting Life, Being Gawee and Robomum for taking part in last week’s linkup – I loved your posts guys, thanks so much for being a part of the linkup.

This week I need to come clean about a few domestic incidents that could have led to serious consequences if I had have been left to my devices to resolve them (i.e if my husband had not have been around to save the day…)

I saw this on Facebook earlier this week and shared it on my page, commenting that I should tell you about the time I nearly burned down our last rental property.

That time has come.

Six years ago we were living in another rental property awaiting the purchase of our last home. I decided to start up dinner while my husband was in the backyard playing with a toddler Gilbert and a baby Matilda.

I heated up the pan and was ready to add the oil when I was distracted by something for a bit (I am VERY easily distracted). Returning to the now red-hot pan I added the oil, which in hindsight, was not the best move I have ever made.

The pan burst into flames and I just stood there, transfixed by the blaze. I was rooted to the spot and completely panic-stricken as the flames started to engulf the rangehood.

I was blank. I had absolutely no idea what to do. It is clear that I am not your gal in an emergency…

I must have shouted at my husband for help while I futilely bounced around the kitchen in a flap as he quickly burst through the door and handled the situation like a completely sane, in control, adult sort of person.

Which, clearly, I am not.

I must confess that if he had not been there I would not have been able to control the blaze and there would have been a very real chance that I would have burned down my landlord’s house.

To be honest that would have been a rather awkward conversation to have had so thank goodness for my cool as a cucumber man who saved the day!

Unfortunately this has not been the only occasion where my actions have led to near-disaster, requiring help from my husband.

Earlier this year I blocked the pipe to the kitchen sink as I had let too much food waste go down the drain. There was water everywhere and we couldn’t use the dishwasher at all (See? Near-death disaster, right there!)

Thank goodness my husband was able to clear the drain and sort it out and I learned that there is a very good reason that modern sinks have dish drain plugs!

There are many other examples I could share but I think I have confessed enough for today… 😉

Do you have any near-death domestic disasters to share? Or do you have something else to get off your chest? Either way, you’re in the right place – so get to it!

The Rules…

– I Must Confess is a link up that will be happening every Monday and will remain live for the whole week.

– You can link up something old or new, we’re not fussy around here.

– Please go forth and share the comment love – it is bloggy crack after all!

1. Lydia C. Lee says:

I meant to join in – I just forgot. I’ve added one today because I’m old and forgetful and will possibly forget on Monday….but I will try to lift my game in the future.

Thanks so much for linking up Lydia. I understand how it is and I don’t expect people to link up all the time – so don’t stress about having to lift your game!

2. Me says:

My husband is like that as well – totally in control in emergency situations – me, not so much !!! I tend to run around making a noise and looking like a headless chook !!
    Glad it all ended well and you didn’t burn the house down !
    Have a great weekend !
    Me
    Me recently posted..Today is a New Day

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who falls apart at the slightest emergency. I am completely hopeless in a crisis! Hoping you have a wonderful weekend as well!

3. Alicia says:

Lucky for you, you’re hubby came to the rescue. So scary when I’ve done dumb things, like leaving oil on a hotplate I’ve forgot to turn off. Smoke everywhere! It really could have been worse.
    Alicia recently posted..No Smokes, no jokes!

I was definitely lucky to have him there as I literally had no idea what to do. It’s quite worrying to be so utterly hopeless in a crisis, but I must say I have never done it again! I may not have a heap of common sense but I rarely make the same mistake twice!

4. Krystle says:

I wish I could think of a domestic disaster, but my brain is failing me. The closest I can recall is more outdoorsy diaster. Husband was trying to dig out a huge tree stump. I said just throw some petrol on it and burn it out. 20 minutes later I was shouting “hey honey, there’s a firetruck out the front … um there’s a fireman at the door, do you want to deal with this”… No harm done though.
    Krystle recently posted..Expensive milk . . .

Glad to hear you don’t have too much to confess on the domestic disaster front, although I can categorically state that I have never caused emergency services to knock on my door….yet!

5. I feel so much better about my own near-death domestic disaster being slightly less serious. I cooked pumpkin for pumpkin soup, put it straight in the blender piping hot – and then tried to blend it. The lid blew off, boiling hot pumpkin flew everywhere. I stood there in shock, burnt pumpkin sizzling away on my neck and arms, while the remainder of the pumpkin flew around my white kitchen. And that is why you should never ever attempt to DIY soup when there’s perfectly good stuff in a tin.
    Parental Parody recently posted..FFS!? Friday: Somebody call the Wahmbulance

Oh no Georgia – I have a vision of hot orange hell! At least you tried to do some real cooking. I have always been aware of my own cooking limitations and so I have never tried my own version of pumpkin soup – thank goodness for Mr Heinz and Mr Campbells!

6. Danya Banya says:

I’ve almost burnt the house down with hot oil too. 🙂
    Danya Banya recently posted..Easy & healthy(ish) Chocolate ‘Popcorn’ Crackles Recipe

1. October 21, 2015

[…] think this now overtakes my previous top domestic disaster of nearly setting our rented house on fire with a pan of hot oil that ignited before my eyes. At […]