Escaping Reality

I love escaping into another world.

image source

I have always sought escape through film, TV, music, books and my own imagination.

Now I escape through blogs too…

It doesn’t matter whether it’s for a few hours or for a few minutes, the freedom of leaving reality behind and immersing myself somewhere else always makes me feel better.

I remember back when I was 9 or 10. We had watched the Timothy Dalton version of Jane Eyre on ABC on Sunday nights and I was captivated by the story. For Christmas that year I received my very own copy of Jane Eyre as well as Anne of Green Gables.

My lifelong love of romance and losing myself in my imagination was born.

Aside from reading anything I could get my hands on, I would spend hours in my backyard creating characters in my head, wandering about, weaving stories around them.

I could picture how they looked, how they behaved, where they lived, as if they were living, breathing creatures in front of me. Their stories seemed to write themselves and I was buoyed by their inevitable happy endings.

I always pictured myself as an author when I was young. It’s funny how our perspective changes as we grow as I don’t picture myself that way any more.

I now know my limitations as a writer of fiction.  I cannot write realistic conversation and none of my ideas were especially original. But I still create and dream and live another life in my imagination.

No one can judge me there.

Lately, I have been reading less books and when I do, I go back to my old faithfuls like Pride and Prejudice. I still prefer stories that have a happy ending and still love the thrill of a slow, beautifully written romance.

Perhaps that’s why I can’t bring myself to read 50 Shades of Grey?

At the moment I love escaping reality by reading other blogs. Having that window into other lives puts my own into perspective and provides that brief daily escape that I crave.

I am also reliving Pride and Prejudice again through The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, a web series that puts a modern and very clever spin on Jane Austen’s most beloved novel.

I may have taken up reading said novel again and re-watched the Colin Firth version due to falling in love with the story all over again after discovering this new adaptation…

I’m also enjoying some modern day romance by catching up with the latest season of Castle where the lead characters are finally together after years of “will they, won’t they” tension.

And each evening as I drift off to sleep, once I rid my brain of the to do list for the next day, I enjoy escaping to my own world…until one of the kids calls me back to reality.

At least I get to escape, if only for a little while!

Do you enjoy escaping reality? Where does your fancy take you when you get the opportunity to dream?

Joining in with Jess for IBOT for the very first time at her new home – looking good Jess!

1. I love to escape to books. I always have and always will. It’s so much fun to live in a different world briefly. Rachel x

#TeamIBOT was here x
    Rachel from Redcliffe Style recently posted..How I pick my Melbourne Cup horse

I wish I could find more time for books Rachel – in between blog reading/writing/commenting and the rest of my life I don’t read so much anymore. I’m hoping to find some balance soon as I do love a good book.

2. Robomum says:

Great post! I do all the same things to escape, especially time with Colin. I find reading blogs really relaxing. Real things written by real people. Raw and without fluff.
    Robomum recently posted..Please, no photos

I love reading blogs too – you are getting the real deal plus the sense of community and support is awesome – you can’t lose.

I so agree that time with Colin is an essential component of any decent escape from reality!

3. I love escaping into a book, especially an easy read with a good ending! I guess I escape into blogs too these days! #teamIBOT
    Eleise (A Very Blended Family) recently posted..How I stay Slim! {10 Tips}

It’s so easy to escape into blogs and books, isn’t it Eleise? I just wish I had a little more time to savour my mini escapes from reality!

4. Reality sucks sometimes, thank goodness we can take a time out and dream x
    Good Golly Miss Holly! recently posted..This weekend past, it felt like the world came to a standstill.

You are so right there Holly – thank goodness for escapism and the solace of our own imaginations…I know it helps me on the tough days!

5. Lydia C. Lee says:

I LOVE movies for this reason – they’re like meditation for me. I can’t really watch depressing ones anymore. Happy, happy, super heros, blowing things up, or clear outcomes where good people do good things and of course, comedies.

Yep, I’m with you there Lydia. Give me action, adventure, romance and comedies but hold the tear-jerkers and heavy drama. I want to escape when I watch a movie, not become sad and depressed!

6. I’m a book escaper too. The Anne of Green Gables books are my biggest escape books.

I keep hearing good things about the Lizzie Bennet Diaries – I must check them out
    Mel @ Adventures of a Subversive Reader recently posted..Three Months Old: A Letter to Squirm

I love all of the Anne books – I own most of them and I can’t wait until my daughter is a little older to discover them too. And yes, check out the Lizzie Bennet Diaries – you won’t be disappointed!

7. I totally hear ya! I love nothing better than a good dream or daydream, and like you, I tend to go back to my old faithful books time and time again, especially when I am feeling down and just need to get out of my own head for a while.
    Kylez @ A Study in COntradictions recently posted..We Need to Talk About Shopping

It is comforting to go back to our favourites – I know re-reading and savouring my favourite passages again always gives me a sense of comfort right when I need it. Glad to know I’m not the only one who does that!

8. Jayne says:

I hadn’t heard of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. I’ll have to check them out. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite novels too. Forget Christian Grey, give me Mr Darcy any day.
    Jayne recently posted..What I Know About {Remembering}

If you love P&P you’ll enjoy the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. They are a lot of fun and really pay homage to the book in an updated way. Mr Darcy will always be my literary crush too…

9. iSophie says:

I used to escape to books, but since having 4 sons, I just don’t anymore. I will again I am sure.. but for now I am happy whittling away my nights on the computer.

I’m a bit the same Sophie. I really don’t read a great deal anymore and I seem to spend way too much time on the computer! But, like you, I’m happy with that for now – hopefully we will find some more time for reading as the kids get older.

10. Oh I love escaping reality.
    I often go to be thinking about Grey’s Anatomy. I’ve see it so many times, but I love the combination of medical drama and soap operaism (totally a word) 🙂
    Jess@EssentiallyJess recently posted..Essentially Jess

11. I love escaping reality as well. I was an only child, and spent my childhood reading, dreaming, creating and in my own little world. I still enjoy the escapism now – although I don’t often get the chance to sit and read without being interrupted.
    Deb @ Aspiring Mum recently posted..The Courage To Be Kind.

Yep, I understand that Deb, all too well. That’s why I have to pack my mini escapes into any free pocket of the day that I can find!

12. Kyla @ TQF says:

I miss reading, I rarely get to read anything but trashy romance these days – books that area easily picked up and put down at the slightest interruption, junk food for the brain.
    Kyla @ TQF recently posted..Cavalo Nero, Haloumi, Mushroom & Avocado Tart

13. Trish MLDB says:

Books , im just discovering my love of books again. I read lots of blogs and articles but not novels until recently.

I’m trying to get back into books again too. I’ve found over time that my concentration span has reduced, I can’t even watch a full movie anymore, let alone sit down and tackle a new novel. Good luck, I hope you enjoy some good reads Trish!

14. Veronica @ Mixed Gems says:

Kirsty, my escapes sound similar to yours. AOGG, Austen…I lost myself in many of those telemovies whilst I was on leave, just before I turned 40, waiting to know if IVF had worked. I’d love to read more but struggle to find the time both for books and blogs though I read more of the latter than the former in sprinklings here and there. Thanks for the introduction to The Lizzie Bennett Diaries. I’m already checking that out! My other escape? Instagram… pthotography, and occasionally music, especially soundtracks of my favourite escape shows such as Doctor Who, Pride and Prejudice the movie, etc. By the way, Castle and Beckett? They finally got it going on! 😉
    Veronica @ Mixed Gems recently posted..Family: Life and Legacy

You truly sound like a kindred spirit Veronica!

I spend most of my reading time on blogs and online articles now too, but I am (slowly) working my way through P&P before bed each night. It is nice to read something that allows you to actually turn a page!