Wedding Memories

Today marks 12 years since I got married, at 4pm on a warm afternoon in a park overlooking the ocean. I remember it well as was the last day of the Sydney Olympics and I had a secret (and, thankfully unfounded) fear that people would abandon the reception so they could sneak away to watch the closing ceremony!

It was a wonderful day, even if we did forget to bring along the carefully embroidered ring cushion lovingly made by my grandmother. The ceremony was intimate, light-hearted and not too formal. All our close friends and family came along, amplifying our joy and making it a perfect day.

At the reception I remember the scrumptious rocky road mountains that adorned each table, an amazing present from one of our friends – they did not last the night! I still have the crazy photos taken by guests on the disposable cameras we left on each table. Let’s just say some tables found out more about each other than they were perhaps expecting during the course of the evening…

We danced to Jewel’s Foolish Games for our wedding dance. A strange choice you may think, but it holds some special memories for us and was the right song for the night. I still think of “us” whenever I hear that song – it is still very much “our” song.

I look back on our photos and marvel at the talent of the photographers. I still wonder how they were able to capture the joy, the camaraderie, the love, the perfectness of that day in every shot they took. Because every picture takes me back to that moment and floods me with the same feelings of elation and excitement that I felt when they were taken.

12 years on and I still cherish every moment of that day. Specific memories may be getting a little hazy but I will never forget the very perfectness of that day. I could not have asked for anything better.

So, to my husband, know that I love you now probably even more than I did back then. We have indeed shared the good times and the bad, we have laughed and cried and laughed some more, we have congratulated and commiserated with each other in turn. But through it all, we have remained together and strong. I honestly cannot imagine sharing this crazy ride with anyone else.

Thanks for choosing to ride this roller-coaster with me and for not asking to get out of the car just yet!

1. Vicky says:

What a beautiful post. I hope that you had a wonderful anniversary. 🙂
    Vicky recently posted..Sharing the load

2. Debyl1 says:

Such beautiful heart felt words.
    Wishing you both a wonderful anniversary and may your loving bond grow stronger with every passing year.xx

3. Bronwyn says:

So beautiful! I hope that you had a wonderful anniversary!!

Thanks Bronwyn – we did have a lovely time this weekend, it was wonderful to have some time to ourselves for the first time in a long time – it was definitely much needed!

4. LizC says:

That brought a tear to my eye. You two are a wonderful couple. Wishing you many more years of happiness.

Thanks Liz – I’m certainly planning on many more years together, hopefully they will be as happy as the last 12 have been!

5. That’s lovely!! Great pics too….

6. That’s lovely – nice pics too. I know he reads this, so I don’t need to tell you to show him 🙂
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Even more Riddle me this?

7. Robomum says:

Congratulations on 12 years! Here’s to many more years of love!
    I’ve been to several weddings that have been on major sports finals. At a recent one, the best man kept the audience updated on the score!
    Robomum recently posted..Abercrombie Street Park

Beautiful memories and photos, Kirsty. I haven’t been to any weddings for a while and it’s easy to forget that they are so emotional and special days. We might make it to our 20th anniversary next year all going well! I can’t believe it.
    Ness recently posted..In My Own Distracted Little World

9. How cute are you two! I remember what I was doing that day, I went to the Domain to watch the closing ceremony on the big screens and then enjoy the free concert afterwards. Savage Garden were playing!

I think it is amazing how wedding photographers can capture such special moments, yet somehow not get in the way either. It’s a very special talent to have.
    Kylie Purtell recently posted..My Blogging Journey: 5 years of thought-vomiting on the internet

10. Aww bless that is such a sweet memory – and there’s no way you’d get ditched for the closing ceremony! I wish my hubby would read my blog – he might learn some stuff!
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted..That awkward moment when you forget a name!

11. Tegan says:

It sounds you like had an amazing ceremony. Lucky you having rocky road on your tables, that is one of my favourite ways to eat chocolate!
    Tegan recently posted..Treading on Eggshells

12. How lovely, Kirsty. I love the joy you’ve expressed in this post. Wedding days are so special. I look back on mine with fondness too.

13. Emily says:

How lovely! Rocky road mountains sound AMAZING. Keep those friends!
    Emily recently posted..Children’s book review – May

14. ann says:

I love that Jewel song. Now I wish I knew where my Jewel cd is!! Lucky there is you tube!!
    Thanks for sharing your precious memories.
    ann recently posted..Partay down!!