Spring Has Sprung

Can you guess that I’m not much of a green thumb?

image source

I love plants, I really do. I like looking at them, I enjoy the calming action of watering and I relish the chance to literally pot about with them.

But I obviously don’t love gardening enough to put in the time and effort to produce a garden full of beautiful plants.

Most of my garden looks like this:

or this:

or even this (pay close attention to the cobwebs…):

So I was surprised and excited this week to discover that despite my neglect, some of my favourite plants are still alive and thriving. Spring has definitely sprung and I’m so thankful and excited!

I have buds on my fangipanis!

The grass trees are flowering!

And I have a lilly bud – that’s most exciting!

It does help that I no longer even attempt to care for plants that require any sort of special care. An unfortunate experience with an orchid cured me of any lofty gardening ambitions early on. Now I focus more on hardy frangipanis, dracenas, lillies, agapanthus, grass trees and yukkas.

I’m looking forward to creating gardens at the new house based around these hardy varieties – I really can’t wait to put it all together and sit back and enjoy the view and our easy care surroundings!

Sharing my thanks today with Kate for Thankful Thursday.

BTW, how’s your garden looking on the cusp of Summer?

1. Hi Kirsty, I can relate. I have planted some plants and flowers in the past to no joy. They last for a bit then frost happens or the kids pick them to death.

Well done on the plants that have buds, and are about to flower. I love this time of year, spring and summer about to come. I liked your post. 🙂
    Suzanne Robinson recently posted..Grand Plans

Thanks Suzanne. I love this time of year too, before it gets too hot and uncomfortable. Off to check your blog now, thanks so much for reading and commenting!

2. iSophie says:

I sadly, can totally relate. My husband just calls me the plant killer.

Enjoy your lily when it blooms and good job!
    iSophie recently posted..Andreas needs a miracle.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who is horticulturally challenged! I’m a big disappointment to my mum and grandmother who both have very green thumbs…but, on the bright side, at least I have advice on tap, when I need it!

3. Trish MLDB says:

Oh I love frangipani flowers . I hope it survives 🙂 and continues to thrive.
    We are just starting to create gardens here , though they will need to be very rugged to thrive.

Those frangipanis were taken from a tree in Cundletown. The owners were pruning their magnificent frangipani trees and were giving the offcuts away. We took a handful, dried them out for a few weeks and then planted them again. I’m so glad they are flowering, it’s so hard to know whether they are still alive or not in their dormant months! Good luck with your gardens too – I imagine anything you plant would have to be frost-hardy, wouldn’t it?

4. Bronwyn says:

I can also relate. I am not the best gardener and I usually try and leave it to my husband (and as he has been so busy things have not really gone anywhere)

That is really nice that your plants are coming into flower. It is a nice reminder of the change in seasons … and also the hope it springs when you see the beginnings of flowers in spring.
    Bronwyn recently posted..Blogging Tips: Know thy Stats

That’s so true Bronwyn – it really did give me a lift seeing evidence of life in my plants and knowing that summer is on it’s way. Let’s hope they keep thriving, even with my dodgy care!

5. Heheheh I can never seem to keep a plant alive either. Meanwhile our garden is FULL of weeds.
    Michelle – MumSpeak recently posted..Happiness in Your Life

I find weeding very therapeutic – the act of ripping things out of the ground is quite cathartic for me! I just need to find the time to do it regularly, half my garden is done but the other half is overgrown – not a good look…

6. Like you I love the *idea* of gardening, but am best at killing them… Well done on getting some things to grow!
    Renee | About a Bugg recently posted..Sleep. Or not.

Glad i’m not the only one without a green thumb, Renee. Let’s just hope I haven’t jinxed myself by writing this post!