How NOT to Hold a Kid’s Party

I was actually really hoping to write a different post. Deep down, despite my dubious track record as a model housewife, I was hopeful that I’d be able to write one of those Pinterest-worthy posts, you know the ones.

The ones with all the beautiful photos and images and the inspiring story about the wonderful time that was had. The ones that show you how it was all done and make it seem so easy and achievable.

image source

image source

image source

This is not one of those posts.

I present to you, instead, some tips on how NOT to hold a kids party. Heed them and your party may be on the way to being Pinterest-worthy….maybe….

1. Try not to be sick the week of the party. Besides it not being cool to be coughing up a lung when you’re baking and preparing food for your guests, it’s really inconvenient to be too ill to actually do the preparation required for a kid’s party. And, you know,  you tend to forget crucial things when your head is stuffed up with mucous.

2. Ensure you have enough time to get everything prepared. Buying decorations on the day of the party and then being too busy to remember to actually put them up is really rather unfortunate.

3. The same goes for decorating the cake. You really should give yourself sufficient time to do something other than a half-arsed effort of frosting with some cooking chocolate buds and dodgy Halloween lollies for decoration.

4. While on the topic of time management, deciding on the day to make fruit skewers for the kids is fantastic, provided you don’t begin within an hour of the party being due to start. In your rush to cut up the fruit and get it on the skewers, you will stab yourself. Multiple times. And it will hurt.

5. And the big one. If you truly want to hold a Pinterest-worthy party, remember to take some photos. It’s pretty embarrassing to have one of your friends offer to take photos of the cake cutting and then find your camera is out of battery and that you don’t have enough space on your memory card to use the newly charged video camera. Epic fail.

So there you have it folks. How NOT to hold a kid’s party. What tips would you add to the list?

Joining in with Jess for IBOT.

P.S – despite all of the above actually happening, Matilda had a great time – which proves a party doesn’t necessarily need to be Pinterest-worthy to be awesome!

1. Oh dear. That’s a shame. But how are you supposed to get it right when you’re as sick as a dog? Not only that, you can make all the plans in the world to have a fabulous party, but things don’t always go to plan. In fact, hardly ever!
    No doubt everyone still had a wonderful time 🙂
    xx
    Tracey @ Bliss Amongst Chaos recently posted..The November 30/30 Challenge – Prepare To Prepare!

I was probably asking for a little too much Tracey but I did want it to be special for her. I still yearn for the Pinterest-worthy party but I will live vicariously through others from now on and save my sanity!

2. Glad to hear Mathilda had a great time. Little ones don’t really seem to appreciate Pinterest worthiness anyway! We recently celebrated my sons first birthday. After two failed attempts at baking a cake, I brought a sponge and iced it with brought icing.
    Housewife in Heels recently posted..Breastfeeding in Late Frocktober

I think I’ll be outsourcing the cake next year, just to ease a little bit of the burden. I hope your son’s birthday went well!

3. oh you poor thing. I have always wondered how people get those Pinterest parties. I think it is all a set up to make us feel inferior. Hope you are feeling better and I am sure everyone there had a great time

Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses #teamIBOT
    Rhianna (@aparentinglife) recently posted..Help! A NaNoWriMo Plea

4. Marita says:

The birthday girl had fun which is the important bit 🙂

I get torn between Pinterest worthy parties and just making it fun for everyone.

Do hope you are feeling better now.
    Marita recently posted..Save the Gummi Bears

I’ll definitely go for more fun next time – as much as I love the look of Pinterest-worthy parties I know my limitations now!

5. Lydia C. Lee says:

You know what I say? It’s important that people like us hold these sorts of parties, so that people who are more fragile than us can feel better with minor achievements. Pat yourself on your back for making others feel better about their abilities.
    I can’t begin to list my fails (but locking keys in boot with all the food and missing my sons 1st birthday while I wait for NRMA is probably giving you an idea of how far I like to take things)
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted..Twas the fright before Christmas

I love the way you think Lydia! Giving myself a big pat on the back as I speak and feeling for you – you do take things to extremes, don’t you?

6. Julie says:

Ha ha. I am current planning a Pintrest-worthy party for my 2-year-old… I think it’s part of nesting (I’m 3 days overdue with baby #4). I think your #5 piece of advice is a necessity. I can see that happening to me!
    Julie recently posted..Chocolate Crackles: Really easy cooking with kids

Good luck with your party Julie and with the impending birth – here’s your reminder to remember the camera for both occasions!

7. Oh you poor thing! I’m glad she still had a great time – she probably was none the wiser. Kids expectations are so easily met, it’s the pressure we put on ourselves that makes us mental in the end! Hope you’re better now?
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..New Zealand, Part 1.

8. Emily says:

You poor thing! I hope you’re feeling better! I’m glad Matilda had a great time.
    Emily recently posted..There are lots of pregnancy theme songs

Thanks Emily. I’m actually still recovering – this virus has been pretty hard to shake. But Matilda did have a fantastic time – she’s still talking about it and is already talking about her 8th birthday next year. Heaven help me!

9. Kylez @ A Study in Contradictions says:

Oh no! At least everyone, and the birthday girl, had a good time.
    Kylez @ A Study in Contradictions recently posted..Little Angel – Festival of Mia

It didn’t turn out the way I’d hoped but Matilda did enjoy herself and that is all that matters. Although I would still love to hold a Pinterest-worthy party someday…

10. I am all for simpleness…. So tip… keep it simple! But if everyone has a great time then that is all that matters xo
    tahlia @ the parenting files recently posted..Bumpy road to bubba

11. Sucks that you were so sick – hope all is well now. The most important thing was that she had a good time – imagine if you made it “perfect” but it was no fun for her – sounds like you did just fine mama!!
    Deb @ Home life simplified recently posted..7 tips to break through organising roadblocks and get unstuck

Thanks Deb – Matilda did have a ball, even if I could see all the things that could have been done better. I may not have held a Pinterest-worthy party but my daughter loved having her friends over and that’s all that really matters to me!

12. Grace says:

Oh, isn’t getting sick before a party the WORSE?! Happens to me all the time.
    Oh, and I cheat when it comes to the cake – I outsource. If I don’t it’s just waaaay to stressful and no one ends up having any fun on the actual day!
    Grace recently posted..Say “Cheese”…or not

I’m actually still not over my cold Grace – it’s hanging around like the proverbial bad smell – cold, be gone!

I think I will definitely outsource the cake next year – that is one piece of stress I can definitely do without!

13. I’d love to have pinterest-worthy parties too! I do put a lot of effort into making a great cake (which I make sure to take lots of photos of), but after that I’m exhausted and have no creativity left for the rest of the event 🙂
    Questing Jess recently posted..Nautical

Jess, I would love to be able to bake and decorate a beautiful cake but I am so not the creative type. After the stress of this year I may go back to my usual practice of outsourcing these things next year – I would much rather sit back and enjoy watching my daughter have a great time than stress over everything!

14. Annaleis says:

I’m sure she loved all of it. Its all about having other kids coming over and having fun, not how anything looks. Note to self to remember that!

Annaleis, this is the first time I’ve held a party at home so I did want it to be special. But Matilda enjoyed it regardless and no-one complained about the lack of decorations or the poorly decorated cake – I may have noticed but I don’t think any of the kids did and that’s all that matters!

15. Heh heh funnily enough my post today was about being prepared for birthdays!
    Janet @ Redland City Living recently posted..Oh no – Not another Birthday!

I only just signed up to Pimperest last night. I have a feeling I’m going to regret it. Sigh.

You did really well having a party at all, especially being sick! xo

17. Having recently witnessed a gang attack of a pinata at a kids’ birthday party, I wish I’d had some fruit skewers to fight the mob off and restore some order.

I’m the sort of person who starts organising an afternoon kids’ party by sweeping downstairs at 5 am in the morning. Thus, your “leave it late” preparation method is both terrifying and also unattainably cool.
    Ed @ The Tunnel recently posted..Farty Party wins Senate seat in Western Australia

18. Tegan says:

Oh dear! I suck at the cake part, well the icing of it anyway. This year I just decided to make cupcakes and it was much more successful!
    Tegan recently posted..I don’t want to be a zombie

19. ann says:

At least you have had a party for your children!! I can see why you did not see the funny side when it all happened, so glad you can now!!
    ann recently posted..Something to annoy you and something to make you smile

20. JackieK_ says:

I’ve been there with the fruit skewers!
    And everything takes longer to do that you think doesn’t it? Worth it all as the kids have so much fun, but exhausting!
    JackieK_ recently posted..The Book Meme

Exactly Jackie – so glad to hear that I am not the only one who has tried to tackle fruit skewers on a deadline and come off second best!

1. March 12, 2013

[…] never bring any of this off. I have tried, and failed, before. You might find it handy to read this before you proceed any further. I am still deeply scarred, nearly 6 months […]

2. September 30, 2013

[…] kick things off I’m linking up a post that I can laugh at a year down the track but, at the time, it was far from funny to […]