Home Build Update #4

It’s been 108 days since we put down $300 to secure the land for our dream home. On the surface it doesn’t look like much has progressed. The land itself looks pretty much the same as it did when we slapped the SOLD sign on it back in June.

Then

Now

Okay, so a few kids may have popped up with some patches of grass in between…!

But there have been some subtle changes that prove that quite a lot things have been happening under the surface. And it’s these small incremental changes that keep me going when, on a cursory glance, it looks as if we are going nowhere, fast.

In my last post I shared that we had selected Masterton Homes to build our house, The Villina. We placed a deposit and have been waiting for the plans to be prepared so we can make final adjustments and start selecting  some of the external finishes. The plans should finally be in our hot little hands this week which is pretty damn exciting!

The plans have been delayed while the builder determined the results of the bore log which occurred a few weeks back. Can I say, I’ve never been more excited to see a hole before? It means progress folks!

See? How exciting is that hole???

And, out of the hole, came this…

No, it’s not poo! It’s proof that our soil is classed H1 (a highly reactive clay site which may experience high ground movement from moisture changes) so our house requires extra piering. Which means extra money, which is bad. But at least our house won’t sink or collapse or fall apart on us, which is good.

To be honest there is still no real rush for our plans as the land is yet to be registered so we couldn’t commence our build anyway. Hopefully registration will occur by the end of the month so we can finally settle on it and finally own it and finally move forward with our first house build.

In the meantime we have been paying regular visits to the estate and have joined a community Facebook group which has been a great source of information about what’s going on in our new neighbourhood. Apparently there is already a doctor and a hairdresser operating and with a new Coles being constructed 2 minutes down the road we’ll have close to everything we need in our backyard.

On the weekend we attended a family fun day to celebrate the opening of the new sportsfields, tennis courts and basketball/netball courts. It was a really fun day with lots of activities for the kids and was a great opportunity to meet some of the neigbours.

Seeing all the wonderful amenities, plus meeting some lovely people and recognising the commitment that residents have to building a real community there reinforces why we first decided to buy into the dream 108 days ago.

I know however long it takes and regardless of how much it may cost us, we will continue to hold onto our dream of living in a real community with nature at our doorstep and views to soak up.

Although, being the impatient soul that I am, I really, really want the dream to begin to be a reality now!

Linking up with Jess, yet again, for IBOT – wishing everyone a wonderful Tuesday!

1. iSophie says:

Oh no! Not highly reactive clay, that’s typical isnt it. Nothing ever goes smoothly or cheaply!

We are planning a massive extension and had our soil test done last week. Haven’t got the results yet. But the whole hill is just massess of dolerite boulders, so Im hoping we should be ok.

I hope your test comes back better than ours. We knew it would probably be H class but we had heard that some others in the estate had been classified M so we were hoping we’d get lucky. Hopefully karma will look after us further along in the build process… Good luck with your extension too!

2. what an exciting adventure. A process… but so exciting! x
    tahlia @ the parenting files recently posted..water play is fun

Yes, it is a process Tahlia but hopefully it will be worth it in the end! I’m certainly feeling more excited now – who knew that a hole in the ground could produce so much excitement???

3. wow.. sinking soil!!! You know I lived in the UK and my local nightclub venue (complete with swimming pool and games arcade) was sinking.. and you could see the dance floor was on an angle!! Made for very unsteady dancing while drunk….

though I am off the subject now…. It looks like a gorgeous place to live very serene!!!

#teamIBOT was here 🙂
    Yvette @ Little Bento Blog recently posted..lunch punch giveaway

You’ve given me an idea Yvette – if the house does end up sinking, I’ll just create a dance floor and go with the flow! Although that could definitely make things more difficult if intoxicated…hmmm…!

4. Jayne says:

It’s beautiful! I can see why you’d be impatient to get started. Wishing you the best of luck!
    Jayne recently posted..Rollercoaster, baby

Thanks Jayne – I can’t wait to get in there but I’ll have to bide my time. Patience is definitely a virtue, it’s just a pity I don’t seem to have any!

5. So exciting, but also so slow and frustrating (!?!?) I am far too impatient a person to build a house, I think! I can’t wait to see the progress on this project! Hope it all goes smoothly for you!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Dear Nicklas {600th Blog Post}

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks it’s going slow! I just want to move in tomorrow…but it will be a while longer yet. I will definitely keep you all updated on how it goes, I trust it will give me lots of blogging fodder as we progress further!