Thank God For Family!

I am unimaginably thankful this week for family. More specifically my parents and my parents-in-law.

Why am I so grateful to them, apart from the important fact they gave life to my husband and myself?

Well, they have given my husband and I a free pass this weekend. My mum and my husband’s mum are coming over tomorrow morning and looking after the kids until Sunday afternoon.

This will be our first weekend away for nearly 5 years and certainly our first night away since Delilah was born over 2 years ago. We’re going to actually have 2 and a half days to ourselves.

It honestly feels like all our Christmases have come at once – and we can’t wait!

We’re looking forward to doing (and not doing) a whole host of things that we wouldn’t normally have the chance to do. Like going to the movies together, being able to wander around and linger at the shops WE want to look at, reading books in daylight hours and sleeping in.

My kids have never understood the concept of the sleep-in. I cannot WAIT to have the chance to have a full night’s sleep and finish it off by not waking up before 5.30am! On a side note, bring on daylight savings, these pre-6am mornings are killing me…

Most of all, I’m just looking forward to spending some alone time with my husband. We have already recognised that we need to grab a little bit more time for ourselves in the grind of everyday life. Maybe this escape will help us  work out a real way we can achieve that.

I just know that I am so thankful to have a chance to be myself again, without the responsibilities of home, even if it is just for a short time.

I’m looking forward to the chance to recharge my batteries so I can come back and be the mother I want to be.

And I’m so excited to be able to spend some real time with my husband – happy 12th wedding anniversary for next week, my darling, here’s to many more wonderful years together!

Sharing my thankful with Kate for Thankful Thursday – what are you thankful for this week?

1. YAAAY! How exciting for you and hubby! Hope you have a fanTASTIC time! I’m sure you will, and the kids will love having their nannas there with them! ENJOY!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Thankful For Being Sick

Thanks Aroha – I’m hoping we can leave our worries behind and just enjoy our time together. I’m also hoping the kids do enjoy their time with their nans – we don’t need them playing up and jeopardising future kid-free opportunities for us!

2. Sounds like bliss! I too am hanging for daylight savings and the munchkin not waking up at stupid-hour! I am thankful for my Mum and mother-in-law this week and them being able to care for me daughter while I go to work, makes life that little bit easier.

Having family support is so important, isn’t it? I’m so glad that you have that too, it does make such a difference when you have to work as well.

I cannot wait for the start of daylight savings – the kids had me up around 5.30am this morning – not impressed…

3. Debyl1 says:

So very happy for you.Have a wonderful time together just enjoying the two of you.

Thanks Deb – I’m hoping we will get to enjoy ourselves without worrying too much about how the kids are faring without us. This is a big step and I would hate for our enjoyment to come at the expense of theirs…but I think the nans will keep them happy and occupied and, hopefully, out of mischief!

4. iSophie says:

Omg that sounds amazing! Hubby and I haven’t even had a proper honeymoon yet.

4 sons later.. and it’s our 10 yr anniversary next year!
    iSophie recently posted..Journey’s through the mind and the Tasmanian Midlands

Sophie, I hope you do get your proper honeymoon one day! We’ve waited a long time for this, we’re just hoping we do enjoy our time away (it’s going to be really weird, to be honest) and that the kids aren’t too upset at our absence. Fingers crossed we all survive the separation!

5. Vicky says:

Have an absolutely fantastic time just being you and your love. We do for go factoring in that time to spend together because so many other things are deemed important. Having just made a move in with my partner, I was very vocal about ever six weeks we had a weekend away. I have three children, who I love completely. But also recognise that if I don’t spend time on me, then the tank gets empty. And when the tank is empty I’m no good to anyone.

You know you’ll probably wake up early anyway lol. Enjoy every moment. X
    Vicky recently posted..My sons

Good advice Vicky, we’re hoping to do this more often as well. We have talked about getting a babysitter in for regular date nights and I think we will need to act on that, our relationship is too important to let fade away. As far as wake up time goes, I was impressed I slept past 7am – while not a huge sleep in it sure beats my regular 5.30am kiddie alarm!

6. Happylan says:

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby. Your excitement at the time out is tangible – have a fantastic time. Yay for your mum and MIL. 🙂
    Happylan recently posted..Grateful for the break

Thanks Alana. It’s been fabulous so far, the freedom to do what we want, when we want, is unbelievably awesome. But I have noticed my habit of pointing out the things the kids would love too – while I am embracing the time away, I am missing them but I am so very grateful for this breakaway. Mum and MIL rock!

7. LizC says:

Enjoy your time away Kirsty. You both deserve it.
    Undisturbed reading in the daytime…pure bliss!
    What wonderful family support you have. I hope we can catch up next week.

Thanks Liz, it’s been awesome so far. Today, we get to go shopping – for ourselves, spending as much time as we want in the shops we want to look at – bliss! Looking forward to catching up with you next week, too!